Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a red light today and my voltage was reading 11.9, and the check engine was on. So I look at the connection to the stator and it had a fair amount of oil in there. so I have a couple questions. What is the best way to clean this oil out, and could this be what's affecting my voltage? Also, would this set off my check engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts

Where is the oil coming from? The stator normally is bathed in oil inside the engine. It will not conduct electricity. If it is leaking through the connector it will cause a poor connection. Try unplugging the connector and cleaning it with a spray contact cleaner. Reconnect and check your volt reading.

If the problem reoccurs find and fix the oil leak.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The oils migrates down through the wire insulation & accumulates at the connection-generally oil is not conductive & shouldn't effect anything. A more likely suspect would be battery/battery connections or possible voltage regulator. My old 99 does the same thing and I'll occasionally open it up and blow the connectors clean with compressed air.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kept the battery charged inside most of winter, but the last month it sat in the bike and it got pretty cold. I don't know if that killed it or not. Connections are good.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I would clean the conector with a contact cleaner that you can pick up at any auto store. Sounds like the oil is wicking from stator.

·
12,970 Posts
you didn't say what you have for a bike.

check your battery bolts with a 10mm wrench. Do not trust what your hand tells you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I went out and reset the tps and cleaned the stator connections. I got the check engine light to go off but it's still idling at 12.0 and lower.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it charges at the normal 14-15v range when revved then it is your battery. Give her a healthy over night charge and re-check it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you've opened up this thread again because you are experiencing similar problems do a search on "battery" or "voltage" or "problems" etc. Lots of existing information on what to check and how to follow up. It happens so often with these bikes that there really should be a sticky on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
charging

I ran into this problem on a bike I built. If any oil is in the connector it will prohibit the charging system. Disconnect coupling at voltage regulator and clean with electrical cleaner, then blow out with air. I bet this will get you back to snuff again.

·
12,970 Posts
It's a 2000 v92c.
you don't say where you live but can't believe it was that cold.
you don't have to bring the battery in the house all the time just hook up the battery tender and you should be good.

How old is battery. over night charge it and then take it to auto parts store and have a load test done on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts