Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hope you are all OK mate.

Is that your black squiggle on the road in the picture of the hilltop in the background?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if u have ridden a cross country with out abs but the back brakes locks up fairly easy. Especially compared to my strat I had that did not have abs. Abs wouldn't of allowed the back brake to lock up as it did sending me into skid.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Yes, the rear brake can be grabby as the tail end lightens up during heavy braking. That's why I put el cheapo pads in the rear. Hope you came out of that looking better than your bike.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
So... driver error then.

The ability is with the rider to apply pressure appropriately to the correct brake lever. Hopefully you don't REALLY think that ABS would have been the ONLY way to have avoided this, right?

I mean we have ALL felt the rear start to skid and the correction is to simply lift off (slightly) with the right foot while applying significantly more pressure on the front brake. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
632 Posts
If'er Would'a........
And if the Dog hadn't stopped to take a Pee he would have caught the Cat.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ndabunka is a professional rider. I do know abs would of not allowed the rear brake to lock up but I also know that the rear brake on the back of the bikes lock up entirely to easy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But in the end I know **** happens and the accident started with some gravel in a corner. I was just putting this out there in case someone was on the fence weather or not to get abs this was a perfect example on why to get abs

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not sure if u have ridden a cross country with out abs but the back brakes locks up fairly easy. Especially compared to my strat I had that did not have abs. Abs wouldn't of allowed the back brake to lock up as it did sending me into skid.
Yeah, I'm sorry that this happened to you but that is driver error no question......I'm not sure how long you've owned this bike but your best bet is to get familiar with it. Practice, practice, practice emergency breaking. I've never owned ABS ever but I do know that every bike is different. Find a large empty parking lot and lock them brakes at slow speeds at first to get the "feel".

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
my 12 with abs will lock the rear wheel on gravel and wet conditions

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I didn't come into it to fast or hot thanks for assuming though. Came around the corner ass end hit some gravel mid corner that's all she wrote

·
Registered
114 Posts
No I didn't come into it to fast or hot thanks for assuming though. Came around the corner ass end hit some gravel mid corner that's all she wrote
So, you hit some gravel then hit the brakes? Or did you hit the brakes locked up the back wheel and slid on the gravel?......Too hot in the curve myfriend, or you simply panicked. ABS would have not helped you one bit. ;)

Well, my intent is to help not to judge. I've made my mistakes as well and have learned from them? Lucky for me, I never crashed on the street. However, I crashed and burned many times racing dirt bikes.

cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
During my Break in ride up to MN from Omaha NE I stopped at a gas station to get gas, when I pulled out to get back on to hwy 60 I was day dreaming and almost went past the exit. I got on the brakes pretty hard and all of a sudden I felt my ABS. I was surprised as I thought I had a ways to go before I would of locked up the rear. What I didn't see was some greasy looking fluid on the ground.

I don't think they saved me or anything but they did save my tire from locking up. I did like how they worked and it made me glad I purchased the Gloss Titatinum instead of the Suede. Suede does not come with ABS.

Sucks to hear that you wrecked your bike. Glad you are ok and hopefully your insurance treats you good. Progressive was awesome when I wrecked my Honda.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for the details. Unfortunately ABS would doubtfully have came into play. Just happy to hear you walked away and can ride again. Progressive should treat you well. Don't forget that they Progressive coverage INCLUDES add-ons and such to a certain dollar amount.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ndabunka is a professional rider. I do know abs would of not allowed the rear brake to lock up but I also know that the rear brake on the back of the bikes lock up entirely to easy.
obviously not and based on his additional details I (now) realize it would not have been that easy even for a REAL pro as it was gravel in a corner.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No matter what the reason for the wreck, I hope you are ok.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts