Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered Victory and think that the bikes are better looking and more advanced than Harley. However and with that said, if you could do it all over, would you still purchase that Victory? Is there any down sides to owning a Victory that you did not realize before you purchased yours?

Lastly, how much did you pay for yours or how much can I expect the dealer to discount?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I love telling how I came to Victory ownership. I was planning on buying a Harley and doing major modifications to it.

The night before I was going to go purchase a Harley, I saw a motorcycle commercial featuring a sweet looking wide tire bike riding through a warehouse. The commercial said it was a Victory. I never heard of Victory. I know that the bike in the commercial aside from the color (Sunset Red with Flames) was pretty damn close to my idea of the modifications I was going to do to the HD.

I went to the Victory website and read about this company and their bikes and then did a dealer locate.

My first time walking into a Victory dealership I saw the 8ball and man did I want that all black bike. The only problem is that I wanted the fat tire bike I saw in the commercial. I also knew I would do a lot of highway riding and wanted the 6 speed.

Then I started visiting Victory forums and lurking, reading and using the SEARCH feature a LOT!! LOL

I figured it would be easier and probably less expensive to buy the Black Jackpot and either powder coat the parts black or trade for black parts instead of converting the 8ball to a wide tire. Plus the conversion would void part of the warranty I planned on purchasing.

Needless to say I purchased a 06 Black Jackpot and modified it to my liking.

If I had purchased the HD and modified it to look and have a larger engine to match the HP and TQ of my bike I would have spent at least 10k more than what I spent on Porti.

The downside to Victory ownership is the dealer network by far. Dealers are spotty. In some areas you have to drive 100+ miles to your nearest dealer. The other bad part is mechanics. Unfortunately a lot of mechanics don't know their way around Victory bikes. I'm sure Kevin can testify to getting bikes that weren't correctly tuned or serviced from other dealerships.

The upside though is we have THE top Victory Mechanic in the US here to help you out. I've been associated with KevinX for 4 years now and he truly cares about Victory the riders and their bikes and he is a Victory rider and owner.

If I could do it over again. YES, I would buy another Victory EXCEPT I would save thousands and buy used instead of new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 Victory Jackpot ( red ). I bought is used last month for a shade under $14k, it has about $2.5k of bling/mods already installed and I'll add as my desire and finances rise. I bought it for its looks and my want of cruising. I also own a KTM Super Duke, so I get my high speed jollies from that.... and yes I'd buy another one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is my second victory in 4 years and I'm already liking the looks of the new cross country...So yes I would buy another victory way before a harley. I rented a Harley out west a few months back and drove it around for a few days and I can honestly say that it did not hold a candle to my victory. This is in terms of power and just general overall ride quality. That's my only comment when someone asks me why I don't buy Harley's..."Go test drive a victory you wouldn't buy a harley after either"

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Started 6 years ago with a Victory Sport Cruiser, Then went to a Touruing Cruiser. Now I own a KingPin, A Classic Cruiser, and a V92C. Hell I keep doing it over again. BTW My SC was sold with 45K miles on the odo, My TC with 60K on the odo. Both are still locally owned, and the TC now has 110K

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hell yes

I bought my 2005 Hammer NEW it was the last one my local dealer had. I was going to get a Fatboy at first but after researching the cost of a fat tire kit, 100+ cubic inch motor ect the cost of the Fatboy would of been well over 30k.. After owning the bike for 5 years now I would not buy another brand other then Victory!! I should have a new Cross Country in the garage by the end of the year much better bike for me and the Mrs to enjoy.

My 2 cents
cheers
Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own an '07 vegas 8 ball and it's pretty damn near my dream bike with only about $2500 in upgrades to get it there. I'd be pretty hard pressed to say I would buy another brand other than victory moving forward. I'm still a young fella so I'm not quite there yet but my next bike WILL be a vision. Probably one of my biggest complaints about victory in general is their lack of aftermarket parts and apparel (relative too our buddy's at HD). I really think Victory is missing the boat in their marketing department. You can look at that as a positive and negative I guess..... It's nice to take a ride and not see a hundred bikes look just like yours!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
my son and myself took a ride up past san francisco me on my harley and he was to rent a harley duce as this was what he wanted to buy, when we went to pick up the duce it did not have a windshield on it , since we were going to put 1400 plus miles on the bikes he decided to rent the vegas instead , it had a windshield, needless to say after the trip and the extra $$ to put the fat tire on it he bought the vegas, that was in 03, an 04 model , i personally fell in love with the vegas at the 03 international motorcycle show in long beach, ca. but since i had the harley, low miles, paid for , i was not motivated to make the move, however after all the pain in the ass work i had to perform just to replace the final drive belt i was pissed, if you buy a harley and change it you will get very clear, on what i am talking about, a 5 hour job, the vic i can change out in 45 minutes, harley got it right with the sporsters, but not the big twins , go figure, then the final straw was when i had to replace the cylinder & pistons at 34,000 miles i only use synthetic oil and change oil & filter around 2000 miles , so i sold the OLD technology and bought the vic, would i do it again hell yes,.... only sooner!

steve

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I bought my Kingpin a little over a year ago.
I looked at the metrics.
I also looked at Harleys (to tell the truth I was going to buy a Softail),
but the local dealer didn't seem to care whether they sold a bike or not.
I went a few days later and looked at the Vics and they were like"what do you want to ride".So I test rode a Kingpin and loved the balance and power and the awesome lines of the bike.Two days later
I made the deal.
I have since rode my buddies Fatboy once, I'm very glad I didn't go HD.
Just paid the Pin off a couple months ago. I'm trying to keep myself from buying a Cross Country.lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
HD Convert, now Victory Proud!

I have been looking at the Vision Tour Premium for about 3 years now and last October I finally bought one. That was the best decision I ever made in my motorcycle riding life. I have been riding Harley's for over 30 years. Everthing from a hardtail chopper to a
106HP FXR Clone. I am 6'7" tall and I have given up comfort for way too long! The Vision Tour Premium fits like a glove and the ride is amazing. I waited until just before the snow fell last year and located a Dealer Rep's bike in Fargo ND. It was listed for $23,699 and I bought it for $19,299. These dealers do now want to put the end of the year models into storage until the snow melts. My bike had 9 miles on it so it wasn't a demo. Not to mention the 5 year warrantee the HD can not touch!
I did happen to get 400 miles on it before the first flake hit the ground.
Go Victory thumb up or settle for less. :crzy:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Came from honda bikes for the last 14 years due to the joy of wrenching as much as I enjoy riding. Did the unheard off a couple of weeks ago and picked up an '06 hammer with 7K worth of miles. Got a great deal on the bike due to it needing some work, so I couldn't pass it up and made the leap of faith.... so far, I am very impressed with the hammer and victory's engineering. Never worked on Harley's so I can't comment but coming from Honda, this is unfreakin believable engineering that victory came up with (yes, I have a mechanical engineering undergrad)....:p
Pros on Victory:
Great service manual. Bike is combo metric and SAE which makes finding tools and parts easy. So far I did the belt, tires, rear 250 alignment, both brembo brake sets, new swept exhausts, electrical harness and entire electrical backend (taillight, signals..etc). Nothing took more than 1 hour to complete. GET THE MANUAL.
Torque and horsepower per dollar spent is most value than anything else out there in the market.. thumb up
Dealer network is awesome in Ohio (every other 15 miles there is a dealer!!!!) cheers
Open loop EFI in 06 model... love it!
6 speed --- nice!
insert every imaginable benefit here....
Cons:
Very expensive parts.. belt for $250.. yikes!:crzy:
Victory 20w40 oil has special additive that requires you to stick with it (please don't start an oil thread.. I am sticking with victory's 20w40... won't listen)....
Can't wipe the grin off my face....:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I came from riding a sportster on short trips to an '06 KP. I love the bike, and would buy another.

My biggest complaint with the vic is all the noise the engine and trans make! I have done some mods and some on the way. The bike just doesn't sound like a real mc shouldl

All in all, the bike has been very good to own: rides nice, very stylish, totally reliable, plenty fast, all the features you need!

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
To be honest with you, I was looking pretty hard at an HD. I was on a tight budget so I was trying to get one for just a few thousand. Something that I could fix up however I wanted to. All the harleys I found were overpriced so I started looking at victorys and came across an 03 cruiser with just over 19000 miles on it for only $3500. It was missing the seat and the gas tank was dented but other than that it looked ok. All I had to do get it running was change the battery, spark plugs and oil. Now it runs great and I ride it everyday. By the way, this is the first bike I've ever owned and I would definately recommend a victory to other newbies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was dead set on upgrading my Sportster to a bigger Harley. I couldn't go into any Harley dealership and get any respect. It was like I was bothering them. Every Vic dealership Ive ever been in has treated me like a king. With they exception of aftermarket part availability I can honestly say Im hooked on everything about Victory's.

A good friend I go to church with works with a guy that went into a local Harley dealer with cash to buy a new bike. He asked for a brochure. They told him if you don't know what you want you don't belong here. It's no wonder Harley is hurting right now. I told him to check out the Vic dealer. He paid cash and took home a new Vic that day.

Heck if I was a bike salesman Id make everyone feel like a king. It's the guy you least expect thats gonna drop a bundle of $$$$.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i was looking at a HD and was to go look at one after work. I am a steelworker and the day i was to go look was a very nasty day at work and i didn't have time to change clothes before the stealership closed. when i walked in the salesman gave a look like i was a bum. i went over to look at the fatboy i was gonna buy and touched it. the salesman came running up and told me not to touch it and then made an under the breath comment that i couldn't afford it anyways. this pissed me off big time. i went and got the sales manager and went and found the salesman. i informed them that i had heard what he had said and that poor me made over a 100k a year and that they had just lost a cash sale. i was still leaning toward HD but only gonna go find a different dealer. but i heard about Victory and decided to take a look. the Vic salesman saw me looking and pretty much threw the keys at me to take a test ride. the rest is history. would i buy a victory again, **** i'd buy 2 now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love my Hammer. If it got damaged, I'd buy another Hammer. I'll be in the market in the next few years for a bagger. I haven't decided what brand, but will think about that when I cross that bridge. Victory is on top of the list though. These are well engineered, and manufactured bikes.

Made in America means quality again, thanks to Victory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts