Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I never could believe that Victory neglected to put a Tachometer on a bike, especially one that has an Overdrive!

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Victory Tachometer kit ($170 shipped) and installed it last night.

WOW! I had no idea I was only shifting at 3,000 rpms! The bike loves to cruise between 2200 and 3000 rpms and without the tach you have no idea what gear you are in or whether you need to downshift before accelerating. It's just so much better with the Tach I can't believe it didn't come this way! Let's not even get started on how to know if your idle speed is right without a tachometer!

Get one it's the best modification you can do to the bike.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I don't understand why any vehicle with a manual transmission comes without a tach. It looks good! Did the kit come with the mount for the speedo and tach?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
looks good and if thats what you like cool. But for me I ride the bike and shift with feel. I listen to my bike and give it what it wants when it wants it..Tachs have only been a red line device in a race cars for me... Ive never looked at the tach as a indicater to shift be it a bike, car, truck, atv whetever..I bet if you took a pole not very many people ever look at the tach to shift..

·
Registered
755 Posts
looks good and if thats what you like cool. But for me I ride the bike and shift with feel. I listen to my bike and give it what it wants when it wants it..Tachs have only been a red line device in a race cars for me... Ive never looked at the tach as a indicater to shift be it a bike, car, truck, atv whetever..I bet if you took a pole not very many people ever look at the tach to shift..
+1 on what he said. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand why any vehicle with a manual transmission comes without a tach. It looks good! Did the kit come with the mount for the speedo and tach?
I agree, all my cages have been manual transmission and having a tach really helps you maximize the engine's power band. Yes, the kit came with the bracket that fits both buckets, you simply re-use your speedometer in the left opening. Comes with all new mounting hardware and rubber shocks that are stronger to support the heavier assembly. Installation was a snap. So glad that Victory at least gave us the wiring harness for a Tach so it's just plug and play.

This is just what people without tachometers say. :p

Just playing. I agree though, once I have owned a vehicle for some time I don't need the tachometer to know when to shift but it is easy to forget what gear you are in if you aren't concentrating 100% on riding and perhaps looking at some scenery....a tach helps. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Installed one last week and on an 04 with the reset button on the bottom of the speedo; it makes it an even better mod because it puts the button on the top/front.

HC: How did you mount the clock? Two-sided tape? That's a good spot for one.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
HC: How did you mount the clock? Two-sided tape? That's a good spot for one.
The clock is supposed to mount on one of the switch housings on a little bracket, but it looked stupid. I just drilled a hole for the screw through the gauge mount. Fit like it was made to go there.

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
The clock is supposed to mount on one of the switch housings on a little bracket, but it looked stupid. I just drilled a hole for the screw through the gauge mount. Fit like it was made to go there.
Good thinking HC!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Stock Speedo/Tach

What, exactly is redline on a stock 106/6 spd? With just the digital tach I'm not sure what my redline or peak torque is.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
What, exactly is redline on a stock 106/6 spd? With just the digital tach I'm not sure what my redline or peak torque is.
Hold it wide open until the engine sputters... look at the tach... you just found the rev-limiter.

It won't let you over-rev it, so there is no rpm you have to stay under like a 'redline'. Today's engines are electronically rpm limited any you could hold it wide open in neutral... it will only rev to the limiter and sputter...

Your stock bike is all done by around 4500-5000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I love my Tach.It was the first mod I did when I bought the bike. My bike used to bounce off the rev limiter right about 5400rpm. Ever since I sent my computer to Lloyd for reprogramming, I never really hit the limiter. I don't think I've hit the 6400 rev limiter more than probably 5 or 6 times. And I don't ride like a little old lady either.lol

·
Registered
37 Posts

where did you guys get the metal bracket the tach and speedometer fit into? I bought one on ebay, but it is from a cross country and the bolt holes are closer together than the kingpin and the bracket for both does not have the under mount.
Should I just make an adapter out of stainless and bolt to that or can I buy one somewhere and where would that be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts