Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share how you feel about the bike if you've owned it for at least 2-3 years. I've owned my current Yamaha Royal Star Venture since 05 and loved it at first. After awhile it became less comfortable and less fun to drive. I'm 6'5 and just can't get comfortable on the Yamaha. Are you glad to bought the Victory or do you wish had settled on something else? I really like the looks of the Victory touring bikes I've seen on the road. I will want a bike with both side bags as well as a trunk.

If you love or just like your Victory can you say why? Any tall riders want to share?

Please share.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have had my 2011 XR for exactly 2 years and I turned 16K today! I remain very happy with it. My likes include Power, handling, comfort, storage space, and style. Dislikes are the exhaust tone (or lack thereof), and a pretty pathetic horn. Tip over protection is very very very good! I joined the tip over club one day last summer when during a sudden stop, the front tire hit an oily spot and locked up. Slide down the road for about 15 -20 feet. No visible damage at all unless you get on your back and look at the bottom corner of the left crash bar. I have several Harley friends who are seriously considering upgrading to Vic....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Forgot to mention....I'm 6'2"

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I have had my 2011 XR for exactly 2 years and I turned 16K today! I remain very happy with it. My likes include Power, handling, comfort, storage space, and style. Dislikes are the exhaust tone (or lack thereof), and a pretty pathetic horn. Tip over protection is very very very good! I joined the tip over club one day last summer when during a sudden stop, the front tire hit an oily spot and locked up. Slide down the road for about 15 -20 feet. No visible damage at all unless you get on your back and look at the bottom corner of the left crash bar. I have several Harley friends who are seriously considering upgrading to Vic....
I've only had my Vic since May so my opinions don't qualify thumb up
The horn is pretty wimpy. I have actually replaced it with the horn off my buddy's Harley (he bought a 2-tone replacement).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had my Kingpin since 4/1/10. I want a CCT. My wife said go ahead and buy it.(She's great!) I think the only way I will is if I can keep the Kingpin. It is a great ride. Smooth fast enough for me and comfortable for the two of us. We're going to the demo at Shark on Friday, maybe they can convince me.:D

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
It will be 2 years in October. She has 48,000 on her now. I love the power and style, storage, comfort, ego gratification, tip over protection etc. I love the sound, but I drilled out the baffles, cut the tips off of the mufflers and the cats fell out...by accident. The horn sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded in my vtx 1800 for a victory vision tour about 3 years ago and I am sooo glad i did. I love this thing im 6'4 , plenty of leg room etc. I just cant say enough good things about it

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had my 06 Kingpin for 5 years and 90,000 miles. This has been a very good bike for me. I love riding this bike. I love it when people ask what kind of Harley I have. The only problems I have had was a bad battery right after I got the bike. And the rectifier went out at 12,000 miles. Both were covered by the warranty. I'm 5'-10"" so I can't help you about the higth issues. The stock seat isn't very good. In the mountains this bike handles like its on rails. It still runs like it did when it was new. In fact were leaving to Canada in two weeks. About 4,000 mile trip. The dealer support could be a lot better. But I do all my own work so except for warranty issues so I haven't needed a dealer much. I will say its better now than it was 5 years ago. If you choose a Victory I think you will be very happy with your choise. But give all the brands a test ride. I'm sure the Vic will be parked in your man cave.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Only been 4 months Vic owner but riding 40 years without stop and had 14 HD's of which 8 were Full Dressers and several Goldwings and BMWs including an new 05 K1200LT and there is no doubt in my military mind that this V I C T O R Y is the best of all worlds and WAY better than any of my HD's for any measurable reason dealing with comfort and handling. OK I have a spot in my heart for 10 years of riding my 2 Suzuki DL1000's as do anything bikes but that's it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Here you go EODK9Trainer... This is the answer you been waiting for!!

I owned my 2009 Royal Star Venture for 1.5 years...I had one good ride on it...lots of power, but it was a TANK.

Rode the XCT at a demo ride...50 ft. I knew it was a great bike. I bought one two weeks later and that was almost 2 years ago (October 13)....

Last week went up and sat on an Indian (always wanted one)...I STILL LOVE MY XCT, it is THE BIKE for me!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm 6' 5" and I've had my 2011 XC for exactly 2 years and 20,000 miles. As a taller rider you will need a taller windshield (unless you get an XCT). I had to add the Lloydz goodies to mine but that isn't necessary. The seat on the XC is great but still causes a little tailbone pain on really long rides.

I feel like the XC is the only bike out there that is made to fit tall riders. I hate the standard cramped riding cockpit of most other motorcycles. The leg room is great and the reach to the bars is awesome as well. This is the only motorcycle that I've ever ridden that highway pegs are not a requirement for me and that is really saying something because I have long legs (36" inseam). If I could trade the XC in on any other bike in the world I would keep the XC. I'm very happy with it.

Conversely, my Bro has a Vision 8-ball and I don't like cockpit on that bike. It is too cramped for me and caused me back pain because the bars were too close to me. The foot positions were also much tighter. I would definitely need highway pegs on a Vision. But my bro is only 5' 10" and he didn't like the long stretched out riding position of my Cross Country.

But for taller riders I'm not sure there is a better motorcycle cockpit than the Victory Cross Country. It just seems that everyone has gone to this standard of 5' 10" people and that really doesn't work for us taller guys.

·
13,177 Posts
Please share how you feel about the bike if you've owned it for at least 2-3 years. I've owned my current Yamaha Royal Star Venture since 05 and loved it at first. After awhile it became less comfortable and less fun to drive. I'm 6'5 and just can't get comfortable on the Yamaha. Are you glad to bought the Victory or do you wish had settled on something else? I really like the looks of the Victory touring bikes I've seen on the road. I will want a bike with both side bags as well as a trunk.

If you love or just like your Victory can you say why? Any tall riders want to share?

Please share.
Don't you think you should ride one first then ask the question.
We all have opinions and you can't make a choice by what we say you have to ride one for your self

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had my XR since April 2011 and have just under 16K on it. Mostly I use it for commuting and day trips around the area. I've had it on three overnight excursions. One down around the Chesapeake Bay, one to Deals Gap, and the last one to Monterey VA.

I came off a V Star 1300 and don't regret the move in the least. The XR does everything I ask of her. She can cruise all day in comfort and hit the switchbacks hard. At Deal's Gap I kept up with a Harley XR1200 which surprised the rider. He said that a Harley cruiser would never have been able to keep up. The last trip I kept up pretty good with a Yamaha FZ-1 in the switchbacks though he did pull away from me in the straights. My bike is completely stock except for the performance filter. You can upgrade the cams and exhaust to get more out of them but I don't feel I need to.

The only complaint is the second day of a road trip I get a pain in my back high between my shoulder blades. I have a separate thread talking about that. I never rode the Venture but the transmission noises are comparable to the 1300. I wish the noises were a little quieter but hardly anything that would keep me from buying another one or recommending one to a friend.

For size, I'm 5'10" but have an abundance of room. I did check out the Venture when I was looking. I went with the Victory partly because of the extra room for both my passenger and me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, I'm gonna kinda be ornery and say number of years the bike has been owned probably doesn't offer quite as strong a review as number miles the bike has been ridden. That said, I've owned my 2011 XR for 15 months and 10,000 miles.

For instance, this was last year's long ride...4 days, but we took an extra day just to hang out in Coeur d'Alene:

http://goo.gl/maps/MKjeh

A typical day ride might be something like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/xQy8c

We rode that route yesterday, as a matter of fact.

I racked up those 10k miles in that time period, despite an Idaho winter, a year full of bi-monthly cancer treatments, and a 2-month stay at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

Basically I ride the living bejeezus outta this bike.

So here's what I can tell you: if you can dish it out, this bike can take it. Slab, twisties, hills, rain, freezing temps...mechanically the bike can handle it all without complaint. Is it the most powerful big twin on the road? No, but it'll outhandle most of the rest. It has more storage than a compact car. I can dig deeper into corners than my wife can her Vegas (on which she's clocked 1400 miles since July 24th). I've ridden through plenty of rain, no problems. 30-degree temps, no problems. 100-degree temps, no problems.

The bike sits outside in my driveway from March to November. I cover it if it's going to rain or snow, but that's about it. My "winterizing" process consists of making sure the oil in it isn't too old and a little Sta-Bil in the gas, and a charger on the battery.

Tranny's noisy. Meh. Can't hear it at 80 MPH with earplugs in.

What else is there to say? Short of the Indian Chieftain, there's not another bike out there that makes me lust after it like my XR...and the Chieftain would have to be an impressive ride indeed to make me trade in.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Six ft one and 270 with a 32 inch inseam. Bought the Kingpin last October and fell in love with the looks and ride (3,000 miles since). Tried to make it something the wife would love, but failed miserably. Bought the Crossroads in May and she loves that (2600 miles since). After owning 6 Harley's, 1 Yamaha and God can only count how many Hondas-----I have discovered these are the best engineered and designed machines out there. If I ride alone the KP is the bike for me. If the wife is going, my Road Kings did not have anything on the XR. Your opinion may vary.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had my 12 Cross Roads for two years and love the bike, I am 6'5" and ride comfortably on the bike. The only thing I would change is I wish I would of bought a Cross Country, my older brothers just bought a Cross Country for themselves. and I have really fallen for the Cross Country. Anyone like to buy a 12 Cross Roads...

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
my post might not count but here it goes, been riding long time and distances , just got xct 1 month ago and already put 2500 miles on it ,its a great bike and wife more comfortable on long rides ,so that means wife happy rider ,we out more on bike lol

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
march of '12. 12000 miles. really like the bike. hate the handlebars
and slow speed turns.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Here's the objective review you're looking for, Trainer....
I've been riding for well over 60 years and mostly on touring bikes. Prolly have around 300K miles under my butt and a lot of those two-up. Add to that, I have disliked cruisers big time all that time.
Then cancer and (just maybe age) had me needing a lower seat and CG if I was to continue riding. That meant (oh gawd) a kroozer! About that time, Victory introduced the X bikes and it was as if they interviewed guys like me and said, "OK Mr. Cruiser Hater, what would it take to get you to buy one of ours?" And they did it in spades! Without going into details, they addressed all of my cruiser dislikes.
There are over 14K problem free miles on the clock and today, I am just as deliriously pleased with my XR as I have been since I bought it in March of 2010. Other than the 500 mile service, my dealer has not laid hands on her.
I would not hesitate to ride her sea to shining sea or take her to a sport bike rally, which I did do a few weeks ago. She handled mile after mile of the nastiest Northwest twisties better that the rider did--he was exhausted at the end of each day and the bike was rarin' to go for more.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Don't you think you should ride one first then ask the question.
We all have opinions and you can't make a choice by what we say you have to ride one for your self
Why not? I did. I was snooping around this forum researching the Kingpin before I bought. I thought it was the best looking Vic in the lineup and with everybody raving about the ride quality, handling and power being outstanding...it was enough for me. I've never even seen a KP before, let alone ride one before I went to the dealer after I ordered it. When I rode it off the parking lot was the first time I've ever rode a Vic...and it was 2 weeks after I ordered it. Seems like the folks on here was right. I couldn't be happier with any other bike. cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts