Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I start and run the Ipod doesn't connect. I thought this might be the connecter at the back because they are so flimsy. Turning the bike off and on has instantly cured the problem when it happens sometimes.

Yesterday I started and ran but noticed the radio screen is BLANK. This was a first and the bike was hot. I wiggled the key and didn't get anything to blink but turning it off and back on cured the problem.

Those two symptoms remind me of a low battery condition where I suspected a switch problem because wiggling the switch would sometimes allow the instrument panel to light up/ fuel pump. Sometimes nothing during the dead cell battery failure.

Can we buy a new ignition and put our lock cyl into the new switch?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Just shooting in the dark here, but have you tried squirting some contact cleaner into the lock?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not made a real inspection yet but my experience from automotive industry tells me I may have gotten a loose/bad one. GM had a lot of bad ignitions and some lawsuits with cars shutting down by themselves.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
GM had a lot of bad ignitions and some lawsuits with cars shutting down by themselves.
A contributing factor to that was people hanging a bunch of additional keys and crap on their ignition key chains. Too much weight and a key handle with a hole at one side, not on the center. That provided enough leverage to rotate the key.
My ignition keys have nothing attached and I carry another in my pants pocket. You all might do that too.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Disappearing key

I do have a lite plastic key fob on my key. Made me think of the weight thing causing problems. I was up in northern Arizona a couple of years ago and stopped to gas up, my ignition key was missing. It had fallen out of the ignition with the bike running. I like to learn the hard way. I removed the ignition switch in Page,Az. Had to barrow tools to do that. Took the complete ignitions switch and had two brand new high quality premium keys made for around $80.00, which I was actually very grateful for and very happy that's all they cost. Figured it was cheaper than renting a truck and hauling my bike home. Since then I always carry an extra key, do not hang extra keys on it, and I have an extra at home also. Since then I have also move the ignition from the side mount system up to the handlebars, which I like much better. Oh and yes the new keys have warn down and yes it will come out of the ignition switch in the run position. I personally think the Victory (China made) ignition switch is a cheaply made piece. When it fails I may wire in one from a Honda or a Suzuki, or a NAPA ignition switch.
:nerd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A contributing factor to that was people hanging a bunch of additional keys and crap on their ignition key chains. Too much weight and a key handle with a hole at one side, not on the center. That provided enough leverage to rotate the key.
My ignition keys have nothing attached and I carry another in my pants pocket. You all might do that too.
Very true however there were tech pubs about faulty Switch housing for manufacturing reasons too. Intermittent failure to start see key etc. Really shitty cars and they ( GM ) even admitted to it. All the focus was in trucks SUVS.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took ignition off tonight and cleaned all around it. I didn't take apart the back two screws because I couldn't cause a single flinch so NPF. Will squirt her later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts