Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up gents, I have a 06 jackpot. It has "a ness" exhuast on it and after riding to work ( about 8 minute ride ) my sprocket is covered in black ****...? What are your thoughts? I'm guessing it's blow by aka piston rings bit I new to these v twins.

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
10,214 Posts
Well, if you wipe it off and it comes back you have an oil leak. You need to give us more detail and pictures would help.

• Helpful
Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Administrator
2,744 Posts
You need to figure out what fluid it is and where it is coming from.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Well it's coming from the exhuast so I don't know what else it could be? Just wondering if anyone else had this problem before...?
Do you know it's coming from exhaust?
Can you get the same black spots just revving in idle?

I've never seen oil come out exhaust but running rich can have unburnt fuel blowing out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rear

Well it's coming from the exhuast so I don't know what else it could be? Just wondering if anyone else had this problem before...?
Had an '06 Hammer that did that. It was running way rich, it was an orphan that I'd rescued. It would blacken the sprocket and swingarm in no time.
I didn't bother chasing the problem, bought a used ECM and a Power commander 5 and S&S air box with RPW 2 into two exhaust had it Dyno tuned.
102 HP 105 TQ.
Have you had yours tuned? What mods have been done other than the exhaust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had an '06 Hammer that did that. It was running way rich, it was an orphan that I'd rescued. It would blacken the sprocket and swingarm in no time.
I didn't bother chasing the problem, bought a used ECM and a Power commander 5 and S&S air box with RPW 2 into two exhaust had it Dyno tuned.
102 HP 105 TQ.
Have you had yours tuned? What mods have been done other than the exhaust?
I just took the bike on a trade so the wife can ride with. It's got a Aness exhuast ( not sure if it's stock or not ) but other than that I think it's stock it does smell like it's running way to the rich side. Would I be ok just running a power cammander or do I need a different ecm?¿ thanks for you input

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Definitely something to address, your gas mileage is probably terrible and wouldn't surprise me if plugs foul up from being that rich.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
If you determine it is from the motor running rich and don’t address it immediately I would change the oil at a shorter interval than normal until you figure it out, especially if your oil looses it’s slickness when rubbed between your fingers or smells like fuel.

Wash the motor down well, then take it for a ride. When you come back let it cool then examine it closely for seeps and leaks. Also check that the oil level is correct. it’s not over full.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just took the bike on a trade so the wife can ride with. It's got a Aness exhuast ( not sure if it's stock or not ) but other than that I think it's stock it does smell like it's running way to the rich side. Would I be ok just running a power cammander or do I need a different ecm?¿ thanks for you input
A power commander and a tune would likely solve the problem. Have you checked the throttle body adapter and the rubber caps on your throttle body? They usually present a different set of problems, but you may want to check.
As I said, I didn't bother to trouble shoot it, I bought the bike really cheap so rather than take the time tochase the problem I just replaced the ECM and added the tune and PC5 to the equation.
I did the exhaust and air box at the same time.
I think I've got the ECM I took off stashed somewhere.

·
Premium Member
10,214 Posts
Victory's run pretty rich anyway. That looks like what that is in the picture. My Vegas and my 04 TC both had stage one on them. Both of them blew black exhaust on the white garage door. I had them checked and they were tuned correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know it's coming from exhaust?
Can you get the same black spots just revving in idle?

I've never seen oil come out exhaust but running rich can have unburnt fuel blowing out.
It's definitely coming from the exhuast becuase I can hold my hand there and it'll look just like the sprocket... not sure why I just assumed it was oil... unburnt gas makes alot more sense. The bike is loud af and sounds like a Jake brake when I let off ( not by choice ). Is a power cammander a good starting point to try to solve this issue?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's definitely coming from the exhuast becuase I can hold my hand there and it'll look just like the sprocket... not sure why I just assumed it was oil... unburnt gas makes alot more sense. The bike is loud af and sounds like a Jake brake when I let off ( not by choice ). Is a power cammander a good starting point to try to solve this issue?
Yes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think, before you install a power commander, you need to find out what the real issue Is. If it’s a bad ECM and you install a power commander, you might make things worse, or you could end up with other issues. The power commander still uses the orginal ECM maps, it just modifies them to run at the best combination of air and fuel for the mods you have installed. That said, to get a map that is close for the power commander, you have to know what mods you have: clearly exhaust, but do you have a stock filter? Do you have other mods like air box? Air filter? Cams? And so forth.

Usually if you put pipes on and a different air filter and air box etc, all these mods make the bike run leaner. In your case, something is clearly wrong as the bike is running too rich. Also, do you have oxygen sensors? And are they connected? I have no idea whether the 06’s had that stuff or not originally.

Lots of considerations before you start adding a power commander. Sorry, but you can’t half ass it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
To add to what is written above by jetdoc61, changing the exhaust on many fuel injected bikes can cause reversion issues. This is a reflected pulse going back up the exhaust pipe and passing into the intake track when both intake and exhaust valves are open on the overlap of the cam. Aftermarket exhausts are often less than optimal. If there was originally a baffle in your Ness exhaust and it has been modified or removed this could contribute to a reversion issue also. You did imply the bike was quite loud.

These pulses effect the map sensor which this fuel injection method uses as a mass airflow sensor, making the bike run rich or even lean at the rpm the reversion occurs at. It’s normally a very narrow band of Rpm, likely below the rpm where you ride your Vic at.

That is why I asked if it ran fine. If the bike runs fine overall it is less likely that it is actually broken and needs fixed. Adding a power commander will not fix a reversion issue caused by the exhaust. You might mask it somewhat but the underlying problem will remain. Better to fix the problem unless you have a good reason not to.

My advice would be before you ”fix” the bike, take it to someone familiar with Vic’s that has a dyno and have them give it a run on the dyno to tell you if you have a problem other than a different exhaust or modified different exhaust and resulting reversion. They can also tell you if you actually need a power commander on the same run.
You can fix the reversion issue typically, but you need to know that it is a problem first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts