Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, I had to push it to the pump, up hill in the rain past a Harley....
The bike is new to me and I have never been stranded before but here's what happened.
I knew I was getting low, the MFD (multi function display) showed 1.1, I stopped for the traffic light and the bike died. Tried to restart, low fuel light pops on, MFD shows .9
OK, when should the low fuel light come on?

Fuel injection is a different animal with no "reserve" but I would have enjoyed more warning.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What do you mean the MFD showed 1.1? What is the 1.1 (miles left?). I have never seen this. How much gas did you pump back into the tank (did you fill it)? What was the fuel gauge showing?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oops...my bad. I thought you were on a XCT. Sorry. Disregard my questions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
With a gallon left in the tank, it's a little low to keep the fuel pump happy..

I get the same thing.. When my bike reads empty I know I have about 50 miles left in the tank.. 25 for riding on the flats but for those last 25 I'd better be riding all-uphill :D

My Low fuel light will kick in somewhere through the red "E" marks.. I try to not let fuel get that low.. But.. Sometimes it's unavoidable..

Either way, when the bike reads "empty" it's time to fill'er up. thumb up

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Regardless...running the bike that low on fuel is a great way to burn up the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When my bike reads empty I know I have about 50 miles left in the tank.. 25 for riding on the flats but for those last 25 I'd better be riding all-uphill :D
Wouldn't you be better off riding DOWNHILL??

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Wouldn't you be better off riding DOWNHILL??
Nope...pickups at the back of the tank.
When my low fuel light comes on with around 4 litres left I can easily extinguish it by accelerating and sending fuel back by inertia.
When it starts to persist I'm down to 3 litres and I know I'd better fuel up fairly soon 3x16=48kms but I dont like to push it:)
I regularly divide my litres into kms at refill so Ive got a fairly good idea of my consumption and how far I can get safely on a 17 litre Vegas tank.
Litres are great cos you get more of em!
Downside is they're less than a gallon.
3.9 in a USG and 4.5 in a Can G
Only time I've run dry so far was once on purpose when I fitted my intake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, Kinda sucks that the bike starves on fuel just when the light comes on. Something has to be amiss like one of the fuel pickups is out ouf place or kinked.
For those who are curious, the guy on the Harley just shruged and smiled...what was he going to do? Gas station was just up on the corner. anyway... the tank is full, trip mileage is set to zero, ready for the 100 mile trip. I'll keep you posted..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the fuel quantity ground wire break and the MFD showed full all the time! Always best to back it up with the trip meter!

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
I had the fuel quantity ground wire break and the MFD showed full all the time! Always best to back it up with the trip meter!
Yep. I agree. Use both. I confess to trusting my fuel gauge but know it isn't accurate but in a way it is because as mentioned earlier in this thread; that fuel pump needs fuel to keep it cool. It's best to not let it get to one gallon left.

I have no idea why it was completely out of fuel if your tank still had .9 gal left though. I would suspect the fuel filter pickups in the tank are not positioned correctly but can't know that without physically checking. Maybe a mechanic with one of those tools with a screen that allows him to look into a cylinder to see if it's scored could help you find out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ran mine down last summer. Stopped for the night. Next morning wouldn't start until I sat it upright. Figure your millage, calculate how many gallons"should" be there, fill up accordingly. Everyone is right, you can burn up the fuel pump on an "empty" (or low) tank.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My fuel light starts flashing when it hits .9 gallons. It seems to be pretty accurate to me. When I'm on a ride I'll reset my trip, usually at about 120-130 I'll start looking for a gas station just to be safe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts