Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow Vic riders , This info which I conjured up from my own experience this Sunday when I changed my oil for the second time, is what I find factual based solely on my bike, although lots of you have the exact same driveline as I. My first oil change was at 596 miles , my second, after given advice on this forum that I could most likely go 5000 mi. between changes, and I believe the owners manual states 5000 miles per, BUT , I decided to change it at 3600 mi. I only use the Victory oil change kit. The oil I drained out was black, and the consistency of water, I did warm up bike for about a 5 mi. ride , after seeing the oil I'm glad as hell I didn't wait for 5000 . My point , after a new filter and fresh Vic oil, my bike is noticeably quieter , less valve train clacking mostly , shifts smoother, and runs Better. Never in my opinion , would I wait until the 5000 mile mark, I don't care if it cost 200.00 to change the oil after seeing what my 106 did to that oil, 3000 is tops for me. Maybe when this has 10 to 15 thou on it and is well broken in , things will be different , but I don't know....

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Myself and many others consider changing the oil cheap insurance as well as providing peace of mind. Just like the car ads say, Your mileage may vary, same goes for the oil. We all ride differently and I, for one, can not disagree with your decision, Mags.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RICZ , I was honestly shocked at how much better the bike was after an oil change. I sit in traffic a lot if I ride to and from work, stop and go. What a difference though. Shocking to me how dark the oil I drained out was. So glad I didn't wait.thumb up

·
13,003 Posts
I think you should have your oil analyzed and ask if your changing to soon or to late. Ask what they find in your oil.
Water?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dear fellow Vic riders , This info which I conjured up from my own experience this Sunday when I changed my oil for the second time, is what I find factual based solely on my bike, although lots of you have the exact same driveline as I. My first oil change was at 596 miles , my second, after given advice on this forum that I could most likely go 5000 mi. between changes, and I believe the owners manual states 5000 miles per, BUT , I decided to change it at 3600 mi. I only use the Victory oil change kit. The oil I drained out was black, and the consistency of water, I did warm up bike for about a 5 mi. ride , after seeing the oil I'm glad as hell I didn't wait for 5000 . My point , after a new filter and fresh Vic oil, my bike is noticeably quieter , less valve train clacking mostly , shifts smoother, and runs Better. Never in my opinion , would I wait until the 5000 mile mark, I don't care if it cost 200.00 to change the oil after seeing what my 106 did to that oil, 3000 is tops for me. Maybe when this has 10 to 15 thou on it and is well broken in , things will be different , but I don't know....
Very similiar situation for me (same bike as you know...)
My first oil change was at 630, and although the manual does state service every 5000 , My dealer service manager told me in his experience, he finds every 2500 better suited.
So I had mine changed out at 3800 just this past weekend......very glad I did ......the bike is running the best it ever has (so far) !!!
Peter

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you should have your oil analyzed and ask if your changing to soon or to late. Ask what they find in your oil.
Water?
VJ , no water in the oil , but oil that came out was very thin and had the consistency of water... it was very dark too , no doubt in my mind it needed to be changed...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very similiar situation for me (same bike as you know...)
My first oil change was at 630, and although the manual does state service every 5000 , My dealer service manager told me in his experience, he finds every 2500 better suited.
So I had mine changed out at 3800 just this past weekend......very glad I did ......the bike is running the best it ever has (so far) !!!
Peter
Peter, I couldn't agree more, I went exactly 3000 mi, and I agree with your dealer, after seeing my oil @ 3000 I certainly think 2500 would actually been better. 5000 is too long on a 106 in my opinion...thumb up

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
+1

I waited until 4600 for my second change on my 2012 XC and my experience mimicked yours in every facet! 3000 is tops for me for the future... $66 well spent! Great post!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1

I waited until 4600 for my second change on my 2012 XC and my experience mimicked yours in every facet! 3000 is tops for me for the future... $66 well spent! Great post!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thank you, Its good to know I'm not alone in this thinking ...cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did my 2nd at 3600 miles. Oil was black but from all the oil changes I've done in my lifetime, that is normal IMO. Consistency was also normal.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Same here.. I'm of the opinion, compared to engines, oil is cheap.
From my harley days, they let you know when they're due, and love fresh oil. As this Vic, as better as it is in running cooler etc, still is an air/oil cooled motor, AND has the same fluid for the tranny and clutch.

I'll probably do mine in 2500 intervals personally as it's easier to track by the odometer at set mileage points.. So my next one will be at sure-enough 2500 miles, 2000 miles after it's first oil swap.

Especially considering how easy these are to do a change, compared to the managerie that is a harley service. One plug, one hole, one filter. Easy breezy mac and cheezy. cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I've got just over 4300 miles now on my XCT. First change was done at 580. I'll probably do it this week and see what it looks like. I've changed a lot of oil on bikes, cars, and trucks, so we'll see...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did my 2nd at 3600 miles. Oil was black but from all the oil changes I've done in my lifetime, that is normal IMO. Consistency was also normal.
I rode mine for about 5 miles and that was after idle warm up of about 4-6 minutes... Then drained it hot, could very well be why it was extra thin...cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got just over 4300 miles now on my XCT. First change was done at 580. I'll probably do it this week and see what it looks like. I've changed a lot of oil on bikes, cars, and trucks, so we'll see...
Broggy, from what I saw , and from what some of the guys here are saying, I wouldn't wait much longer, please let me/us know how yours came out. I guarantee your bike will love you for this, and it will show it, mine certainly did.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same here.. I'm of the opinion, compared to engines, oil is cheap.
From my harley days, they let you know when they're due, and love fresh oil. As this Vic, as better as it is in running cooler etc, still is an air/oil cooled motor, AND has the same fluid for the tranny and clutch.

I'll probably do mine in 2500 intervals personally as it's easier to track by the odometer at set mileage points.. So my next one will be at sure-enough 2500 miles, 2000 miles after it's first oil swap.

Especially considering how easy these are to do a change, compared to the managerie that is a harley service. One plug, one hole, one filter. Easy breezy mac and cheezy. cheers
I couldn't agree more thumb up

·
13,003 Posts
when oil is hot it is Thinner then when it came out of jug.
Why would Vic engineer's that design the motors say you can go to 5000 and a shop tech say something different.
One knows more then the other or thinks he knows more then the other.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why would Vic engineer's that design the motors say you can go to 5000 and a shop tech say something different.
I know one thing , my bike will go 3000 tops between oil changes , Not 1 mile more. I can tell just by how my bike responded after I changed the oil , this is just my opinion , not telling anyone what to do, just stating my observation , and positive results I got from my bike.cheers

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I tend to believe 'some' conspiracies. H-D did the same thing and any H-D owner knows those bikes love oil changes at 2500-3k. I suspect (with my tinfoil hat on) the EPA regs might have something to do with it. The EPA is all about oil consumption and emmissions and not so much about engine life expectancy.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great point bsbabcock , I bet that has a lot to do with it... I think I would rather have my engine last then worry about what the EPA thinks... I could really care less about them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
im with you guys. i changed at 500, 2000,and every 3000
after that. oil is good and dark. havent picked up anything
on the magnetic drain plug though.[yes i know, only ferrous
metal].cheap insurance. did this with syn oil in the vtx too.
cant qite get myself to try the rotella synthetic in the cr. almost
dumped it in the other day. i use it in all other non auto applications.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts