Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need more posts before I can post in the appropriate section....

but I don't want to destroy my bike. I cleaned the throttle bodies and K&N filter, now the bike ildes high and backfires A LOT!!

It's a '05 Kingpin 92CI

..any help would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Perhaps you have a cracked intake boot, sounds like it could be an air leak.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read about that, but just wondering why it would all of a sudden run bad after cleaning the throttle bodies and air filter. I didn't touch anything else....I would think it would run better after the cleaning.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Has anyone ever adjusted the tps? The reason I ask is, when. I bought my '05 Pin. It didn't run right . I cleaned the throttle bodies and it made the bike run way lean. After several trips back and forth to the dealer, it turned out that the tps was adjusted a whole bunch of points too lean. Someone had adjusted it with the Tb's dirty I think, instead of finding the cause of the overly rich condition, which was the TB's were dirty.
They adjusted it and it was good again. They had to fashion up some 02 sensors to read the exhaust gas output since they didn't have an analyzer.
As stated above though, it could be an air leak as well.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
A trick to putting off cleaning the TB's is to raise the idle. This is done with Philips head screw driver under the rear left side of the tank. You have to kind of get down there with a flashlight to see it.

Sounds like that's what someone did on this bike. Not saying there isn't another issue like a cracked boot or TPS issue as mentioned but you can at least fix the high idle easy enough.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Did you have your spark plugs out ? Did you hook up your plug wires backwards ? That would certainly cause backfiring .....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps you have a cracked intake boot, sounds like it could be an air leak.
Can I use the old school ' spray some carb cleaner around the intake ' method to see if there is a leak in there?
It ran fine, didn't mess with anything that should cause it to run strange.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone ever adjusted the tps? The reason I ask is, when. I bought my '05 Pin. It didn't run right . I cleaned the throttle bodies and it made the bike run way lean. After several trips back and forth to the dealer, it turned out that the tps was adjusted a whole bunch of points too lean. Someone had adjusted it with the Tb's dirty I think, instead of finding the cause of the overly rich condition, which was the TB's were dirty.
They adjusted it and it was good again. They had to fashion up some 02 sensors to read the exhaust gas output since they didn't have an analyzer.
As stated above though, it could be an air leak as well.
It's possible the tps has been adjusted, I've only had the bike for 3 months. Is the adjustment something I can do myself?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A trick to putting off cleaning the TB's is to raise the idle. This is done with Philips head screw driver under the rear left side of the tank. You have to kind of get down there with a flashlight to see it.

Sounds like that's what someone did on this bike. Not saying there isn't another issue like a cracked boot or TPS issue as mentioned but you can at least fix the high idle easy enough.
I'll check the idle adjustment, but this wouldn't cause excessive backfires would it?
The bike ran good before I cleaned the filter and TB's.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
After seeing this pop up in my inbox I got to thinking maybe the cleaning job wasn't as good as you thought it was. Maybe you need to go back in there and do it again with some good carb cleaner spray. The sensors in there can be fickle and if you did more harm than good during your first time at bat maybe a second time will fix it...

All things being equal and this is all you did; it's logical to assume the issue is the last place you worked on. It might be worth putting some clean rags down the TB's and use some brake cleaner. The brake cleaner will evaporate quickly. Or maybe use some carb cleaner then brake cleaner. At any rate be careful because the cleaners can play hell on anything painted if left on a painted surface for too long.

If you do go back in there to try again; please let us know if this works.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Brake cleaners will eat at plastics unless it's non chlorinated. I would stay away from them. Also some of the cheap carb cleaners will do more harm than good. Not sure if vic puts the coating on the butterflies like most auto manufacturers do but if you use a good TB cleaner that's safe for sensors you should be ok.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll check the idle adjustment, but this wouldn't cause excessive backfires would it?
The bike ran good before I cleaned the filter and TB's.
Are you sure you ran it long enough to clear out all the gunk that probably fell into the TB from cleaning? Run some seafoam through the gas, maybe you clogged an injector????

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Brake cleaners will eat at plastics unless it's non chlorinated. I would stay away from them. Also some of the cheap carb cleaners will do more harm than good. Not sure if vic puts the coating on the butterflies like most auto manufacturers do but if you use a good TB cleaner that's safe for sensors you should be ok.
Good point to use a good quality TB cleaner and to run Seafoam in the fuel. We used to run Seafoam directly into carbs and TB's and let it smoke up the neighborhood. It would clean up a gunky carb at least half the time though; at least for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts