Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of Vics in-the-tank fuel filter and replace it with an in-line fuel filter outside of the tank?
It sure would be a lot easier to change and quite a cost saver.
Let me know please.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
That's a great idea and it would probably be easy to do.
The current filter not only filters but places the fuel line at the lowest part of the tank, so we would need to fabricate a screen to the same shape as the filter and replace it.
Or just open the current filter, this way it won't get plugged and will keep the pick up end at the same location as it is now.
Then it is a simple matter of tapping into the fuel line under the tank and putting in a small canister style fuel filter.
I think it is a very plausible idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Paul.
I think the problem is that the fuel pump is in the tank. Doesn't the fuel need to be filtered before it goes into the pump?

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thanks for the response Paul.
I think the problem is that the fuel pump is in the tank. Doesn't the fuel need to be filtered before it goes into the pump?
Yes it does, high milers here are getting over 100,000 miles out of a filter,
Many riders wouldn't do that in the life of the bike.
How many miles would you do a year?

Fuel needs to be filtered before the pump, yes.
Or risk the pump going out.
Cheap alternative filters are available now, as soon as someone try's one and it works we can all relax.
Genuine filters are priced way over the top for what they are anyway.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
fuel filter $$$

I changed the fuel filter out on my XR when the manual said to. It was quiet pricey I thought for what it is. I believe a couple of years ago it cost me $75 from Paulie at Easttoledohonda.com that does not include the pump gasket. The old filter was dirty at 30,000 miles I believe is when I changed it. I did save the old filter so one day I may take it into a auto parts store and see if they can match it.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Yesssss these are the filters that were posted in the other thread, thanks Bbob,

This is the way forward, can't be that hard to connect, I have a box of Japanese made hose-clamps that are special for this kind of occasions.... There just regular hose clamps, just stronger and better material then China ones....

When the time comes I'll enjoy niggerrig that filter up into the tanks of my vics...

Happy days...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I think is was Pain who ordered a set and said they came with an adapter hose and clamps.

Should be easy peazy smooth and breezy. :D
soon as someone fits one we will know... I got my genuine one through Victory Australia $160 Aust!
gotta be a better alternative ...though 50,000 miles divided by 160 is 312 miles to the dollar???
is my thinking and maths correct???
Rather pay $15

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Yup, soon as my jackpot is finished building i will put this on the bucket list....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
704 Posts
This inline fuel filter mounted outside the tank will not work. Our Vic's have very high pressure fuel system compared to gravity fed carburetors. The fuel filter has to filter the gas before it enters the fuel pump to make sure that there is no debris interring the pump. That's a recipe for failure if dirt gets to the pump.

In other words the gas has to be filtered before the pump not outside afterwards.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't see why an outside filter would not work. Most cars have the pump in the tank with a sock or screen on the end of it than a filter on the frame rail. I know that is how my Ford Ranger is and I think it runs around 40psi of fuel pressure. I don't know what the Vics run, but napa offers a repair kit for the ford fuel lines to replace the connectors for the fuel filter. Might could use something like that.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I don't see why an outside filter would not work. Most cars have the pump in the tank with a sock or screen on the end of it than a filter on the frame rail. I know that is how my Ford Ranger is and I think it runs around 40psi of fuel pressure. I don't know what the Vics run, but napa offers a repair kit for the ford fuel lines to replace the connectors for the fuel filter. Might could use something like that.
Let us know how you go....Ill stick to pre-filter at extended intervals mines still flowing fine at over the Victory reccomended service interval

·
Registered
704 Posts
Let me know how that works out. Filtering the fuel outside the tank while the pump is inside should be something!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just received my order from these guys. They look great and come with a small adapter, there were no clamps though.

Quantum Fuel Pump Strainer Victory Cross Country / Cross Roads / Custom 2010 2011 2012, Replaces Victory 2521171, 2521020

I don't need to replace mine but I have three of them on hand. If someone needs to replace theirs immediately and is waiting on a filter and is willing to try one Ill send one to ya!

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I just received my order from these guys. They look great and come with a small adapter, there were no clamps though.

Quantum Fuel Pump Strainer Victory Cross Country / Cross Roads / Custom 2010 2011 2012, Replaces Victory 2521171, 2521020

I don't need to replace mine but I have three of them on hand. If someone needs to replace theirs immediately and is waiting on a filter and is willing to try one Ill send one to ya!
A tight push on fit would be all that's needed as long as it's gasoline grade hose and it would have to be.
It's not under any violent stress and it's being sacked through not pressurised downstream of the pump.
Sure, send me one please and I'll compare with the brand new Victory item waiting for me at the dealers in Brisbane.
And if I think it's gonna do the job I'll fit it and give it a go.
PM me postage costs and I'll give you my address.
I'm in Australia.

EDIT.... That fit a 2010 Vegas?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you think the fit is a bit loose, a small zip tie my do the trick.

·
Registered
567 Posts
A tight push on fit would be all that's needed as long as it's gasoline grade hose and it would have to be.
It's not under any violent stress and it's being sacked through not pressurised downstream of the pump.
Sure, send me one please and I'll compare with the brand new Victory item waiting for me at the dealers in Brisbane.
And if I think it's gonna do the job I'll fit it and give it a go.
PM me postage costs and I'll give you my address.
I'm in Australia.

EDIT.... That fit a 2010 Vegas?
According to their website the part numbers are different for the '10 Vegas and my '14 XCT. Either way shipping to Brisbane is like $35usd...probably not worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
According to their website the part numbers are different for the '10 Vegas and my '14 XCT. Either way shipping to Brisbane is like $35usd...probably not worth it.
Part numbers different then the part is probably different,

$35 postage is nothing compared with the $160 Victory Brisbane charge for a genuine one,
Thanks anyway.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts