Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts

quart of oil every 1200 miles, transmission sounds like an old farm truck with no sync when you go into first, 6th whines so loud its distracting and progressively getting worse. I have to change plugs every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Right now its not much more than a POS.

I'm hoping it will last till the end of July when I retire. Ill park it then and change out the engine this winter. Too hot now
Have you owned this machine since new?
Broke it in correctly. Completed all servicing at required intervals, and yes. Which oils have you used.
You may have a Friday afternoon bike.

·
12,968 Posts
so with only thing going is the u s open. I looked up some fuel filters. There has to be something out there

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Have you owned this machine since new?
Broke it in correctly. Completed all servicing at required intervals, and yes. Which oils have you used.
You may have a Friday afternoon bike.
It may have been a bike built half on Monday morning and finished on Friday afternoon. Who knows.

Yes, bought it new. Castrol actevo 20-50 motorcycle oil. Yes it was broken in correctly, (what a question) Oil changed every 3,000 miles till it started burning it so fast it damn near isn't worth changing so now I change every 5,000. As far as all service at required intervals.. NO, I ran my belt 140 some thousand miles and now have it as a spare.

Best riding heavy bike I've ever owned. It hasn't been without its problems however. Best bike I ever owned as far as never having an issue of any kind was my V-rod which was also the worst handing bike I ever owned. I've owned Kawasaki, Yamaha, Hondas Harley etc. Some good, some not so good. Bikes that were the most fun were dirt bikes, but younger and going over handle bars wasn't a death wish back then.

All in all considering its an air cooled engine, the miles its accumulated is respectable. As far as the transmission. Half crazy's went at around 90,000 or there about so mine is doing well in comparison.

Its just a machine and in that its just stuff. a tool of sorts, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think anyone would be happy to get 180+k out of an air-cooled touring bike. Heavy bike, under more load than a bagger usually, maybe even pulling a trailer but then again so can a bagger.

HC is well known for racing his bike so getting 90k out of the trans was actually phenomenal.

I'm curious about the oil burning. Do you think it's rings or valves? Valve (seals) will usually have you seeing a lot of smoke on first start up of the day.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

quart of oil every 1200 miles, transmission sounds like an old farm truck with no sync when you go into first, 6th whines so loud its distracting and progressively getting worse. I have to change plugs every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Right now its not much more than a POS.

I'm hoping it will last till the end of July when I retire. Ill park it then and change out the engine this winter. Too hot now

Sounds worn out to me. Give a call to some of the Vic guru shops ask them if you tore it down what you are likely to find?
I'm sure they see typical high milers like yours and have memorized the list of parts that aren't going to make it for the next 100k miles.
Your trans problems could be 1st gear the dog and fork plus all new bearing through out. Engine lower end bearings maybe fine. A re ring with valves and guides, or perhaps new valve seals and exhaust valves, lap the valves and reassemble. Some modern motors can get buy with new seals and lapping the valves.

You could be buying another motor that you don't really need . Email Kevin or Lloydz or some of the other shops before shopping for a motor on Ebay .
Once your retired it might make a great first project. You would be amazed at how new bearings and a couple of worn parts replaced can transform the sound and performance of an air cooled engine.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Joe... I already bought an engine with 5,000 miles on the clock. Its complete, only cost me 2 grand to my door. Its not worth my time to go thru this one. I have many other projects I enjoy more.
Maybe you can work something out with Rylan Vos or donate the old engine to him to rebuild so in the future someone else can have a fresh engine. A kind of exchange program. With Vic's being an engine with the enclosed trans making it a single unit it make more sense, to me anyway, to simply swap out the whole thing kinda like the old VW bug engine. A 3 hour job, if that, to swap those out by someone who knows what they're doing.

Just a thought. Heck; you might even wear another engine out.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. If you wanted to donate it; he might be willing to pay for shipping. The only pain is finding a small pallet to lash it down to for shipping so the truck driver can use his hand pallet jack to load it. Auto repair shops that get transmissions and engines shipped in probably have a good used pallet you can have if you ask politely and tell them what you want it for. The good ones can relate.

If not; hang on to it. Someone will want it some day...

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Bob, might be a good idea. I will have no need for it. The only issue might be the shipping costs.
Alternatively, Id hang it on the wall or put a thick glass top over it for a table.

Worn out engines make great rebuilt ones, being seasoned, anything that's gonna move has already moved, though Victory's policy of not servicing replacement mains bearings is prohibitive.
My engineer wanted to replace mine and line bore the engine to start from a brand new playing field.
Victorys have different sized mains that makes line boring the crank a real mission with special tooling needing to be made.
Evidently Victory don't want people delving into this area..
Mains are available but they come with new crankcases!...not cheap Id imagine.
Mine did show some wear but was in tolerance and I got it on several authorities they've never seen a Victory fail due to mains bearings...it'd be interesting to see what the tolerances are on @joseph motor
Guess he's too busy with other stuff do do a post-mortem stripdown

Reason for the break in question is valid I think,, not knowing you personally , nor the way you ride, wether you warm a machine up to operating temp before leaning on it, if it's lugged or overrevved to extreme early in its life, well lugging more than anything as there's a rev limiter...break a ring or damage the bore at break in and the engines never gonna be a good one..

I'm talking in general here of course and you sound like a sensible person who would do the right thing, and comparatively 180,000 miles or 300,000kms is more than most people would do in a lifetime of ownership of one bike.

Whats the record for most miles on a Victory engine/trans unit???

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
kilometers or miles

many posters unknowingly just use K for convenience i believe, even in USA where miles are standard. a big difference for sure 180,000K or kilometers = 111.846 miles! a lot of miles but a lot less than it looks

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
many posters unknowingly just use K for convenience i believe, even in USA where miles are standard. a big difference for sure 180,000K or kilometers = 111.846 miles! a lot of miles but a lot less than it looks
well which is it rodhotter?...........joseph makes many references to miles, I'm sure he means miles not kilometers

41 - 54 of 54 Posts