Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the other forum. Indian just went big.... 111ci.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This new engine design may be just what Indian needed. I like how they have incorporated the old motor look with modern technology. Now if they can keep the price line down to move some units.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well, if you ride motorcycles because you like the way they sound at idle, Polaris has hit another home run as this one sounds terrific.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Polaris markets these bikes to the "customizer" crowd and takes Vic back for us "function first" disciples.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Well, if you ride motorcycles because you like the way they sound at idle, Polaris has hit another home run as this one sounds terrific.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Polaris markets these bikes to the "customizer" crowd and takes Vic back for us "function first" disciples.
Well... there seem to have been a lot of concessions made to appearance and tradition... 2 valves/cyl? 3 cams on a chain drive? Pushrods? Buddy, downward facing exhaust was a consequence of how crappy the heads were back in the day. Side mounted intake? Form over function...

The reason I ride what I ride is function. The path from the throttle body to the intake valves is a straight shot. 4 valves, overhead cams... engineered for efficiency.

They went with a 101mm bore and 113mm stroke. Really undersquare design, which again, I think is a mistake. The engine should be square or a little oversquare and have a rod ratio around 1.7:1... but hey, no one at Polaris cares what I think.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
"The dawning of a new age in American motorcycles will finally be here."

Well, ain't that a kick in the balls.

Anyway, Pop is in. I like my form and function in equal measure. At this point I don't care what the frame and tin amount to. If it's not to my liking I have a sprung Springfield frame and a bunch of Gilroy tins in a shed up in NH that I can attack with a gas axe to dress out that new mill. I sad in 2002 that the Powerplus was a fair interim descendant to the Springfield mill but that the compromises forced by federal bancruptcy court requirements were too restrictive. This is what happens when those requirements go away and the evolution is allowed to take its course.

Finally, Pop has a retirement plan.

·
12,984 Posts
I read no more throttle cables. Bet the Vic will be that way. Better throttle response and cruse control will be twice as good.
Maybe some primary improvements but didn't see any thing ells that the Vic motors could use.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i like the fact that they are building this like a good car engine, plain bearings, solid crank, timing chain, gear drive. these should last a while.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Have you ridden a throttle by wire HD? Response ain't that great...
The reviewers of the new Triumph Explorer were downright disgusted with the new wireless throttle. Apparently, Triumph must have figured out the problem as they were very complimentary of the same system on their new Trophy sport-tourer. As I recall, the problem with the Explorer was that it was too responsive, making it hard to hold a steady pace.

The whole idea is a little worrisome to me. Living near a large Air Force base blasting high frequency electromagnetic energy of all sorts that frequently kills my XM, I'm not sure I want to be the EMI test pilot of such a system on a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Maybe I'm just easier to please than you guys, but I kinda like what I see, especially if you consider that this is Polaris' first change to the Indian motor. They had to keep some of the old, and had to bring some of the new into the design, which apparently they have.

I like what I see, and can picture myself on an Indian in about 20-25 years. By then it should be as bulletproof as the Vics are now. :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well... there seem to have been a lot of concessions made to appearance and tradition... 2 valves/cyl? 3 cams on a chain drive? Pushrods? Buddy, downward facing exhaust was a consequence of how crappy the heads were back in the day. Side mounted intake? Form over function...

The reason I ride what I ride is function. The path from the throttle body to the intake valves is a straight shot. 4 valves, overhead cams... engineered for efficiency.

They went with a 101mm bore and 113mm stroke. Really undersquare design, which again, I think is a mistake. The engine should be square or a little oversquare and have a rod ratio around 1.7:1... but hey, no one at Polaris cares what I think.
Intake is freaking huge.

Questions
But why did they go 2 valves? No one would have known by looks.

Are pushrods that bad? I know they can't do the higher RPM but its a Vtwin and eliminates the chains.

Would you prefer 1 or 2 cams? Why 3, to keep parallel pushrods?

Why chain vs gear? Looks like the Twin cam chest minus gears on cam. Hope the tensioners fare better than HD.

What's the negative from downward facing exhaust?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Intake is freaking huge....
What's the negative from downward facing exhaust?
Mostly to silence the intake, not to let large amounts of air in. The side mounted intake and the downward exhaust both have the same issue... too may short/tight turns in the path. It's inefficient.

But why did they go 2 valves? No one would have known by looks. Are pushrods that bad? I know they can't do the higher RPM but its a Vtwin and eliminates the chains.
Victory explains this better than I could...

Personally, I prefer overhead cams but pushrods are OK on a big twin.

Why chain vs gear? Looks like the Twin cam chest minus gears on cam. Hope the tensioners fare better than HD.
If you look, it has both chains and gears. Seems rather redundant. The tensioners are 3 times the size of the HDs, should be fine.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Intake is freaking huge.
Better to breath with...even if it IS on the side instead of the top. Side works "just fine" with the right intake & putting it on the left makes a statement that "This is NOT your father's Harley, it's a REAL INDIAN!!

Personally, I think they did it so that they could get as close to the Harley sound as possible without violating any "patents"

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I like what I see, and can picture myself on an Indian in about 20-25 years. By then it should be as bulletproof as the Vics are now. :cool:

LOL - You must be a LOT younger than me. I'd be 70-75 by then and doubt I'll be riding anything other than a golf cart at that point. Good thing they are making these for 2014/15 year. I may have to pick one up or simply add it to the stable

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you ridden a throttle by wire HD? Response ain't that great...
I wouldn't say throttle by wire has anything to do with an HD having slow response. A lot of vehicles have used electronic throttles for years without that being an issue. I wish Victory would get with the program and use the drive by wire. Like another poster said, it helps the cruise and everything throttle related work better. It only seems fitting given all the other advanced tech in the Vic platform.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
IA lot of vehicles have used electronic throttles for years without that being an issue.
Here's my take on this: All these electronics on vehicles now... TBW, traction control, driving modes, ABS modes, semi-active suspensions... that's a lot more potential for something to fail. Something that is not owner servicable. Something that would leave my ass on the side of the road.

What's wrong with a throttle cable? Works like a champ... cheap too.

I resisted a Smart Phone for a long time too, now I have one and love it. Set in my ways?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Here's my take on this: All these electronics on vehicles now... TBW, traction control, driving modes, ABS modes, semi-active suspensions... that's a lot more potential for something to fail. Something that is not owner servicable. Something that would leave my ass on the side of the road.

What's wrong with a throttle cable? Works like a champ... cheap too.

I resisted a Smart Phone for a long time too, now I have one and love it. Set in my ways?
I'm pretty sure that if traction control fails, the bike will still run. If ABS fails, the bike will still brake. If electronically controlled suspension fails, the bike will still have the ability to absorb bumps. While all of those scenarios may provide less than optimal performance, it shouldn't affect the bike more than if it simply didn't have those features.

If the wireless signal is interfered with, it could cause anything from the bike losing power on a highway with a semi on your ass to running like a rogue Toyota WFO without the benefit of Sandra Bullock to squeeze you for comfort. My cable works just fine thank you very much.

As to a smart phone, I just don't get it. I'm near a computer with fonts large enough for me to read nearly anywhere I go. When I go where I don't need a computer, I don't want a computer and there is probably no signal there anyway.

In any case, as an ATT stock holder, I do appreciate the dividends that you compulsive texters provide; even if it requires me to dodge a lot more road obstacles...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if traction control fails, the bike will still run. If ABS fails, the bike will still brake. If electronically controlled suspension fails, the bike will still have the ability to absorb bumps. While all of those scenarios may provide less than optimal performance, it shouldn't affect the bike more than if it simply didn't have those features.

If the wireless signal is interfered with, it could cause anything from the bike losing power on a highway with a semi on your ass to running like a rogue Toyota WFO without the benefit of Sandra Bullock to squeeze you for comfort. My cable works just fine thank you very much.

As to a smart phone, I just don't get it. I'm near a computer with fonts large enough for me to read nearly anywhere I go. When I go where I don't need a computer, I don't want a computer and there is probably no signal there anyway.

In any case, as an ATT stock holder, I do appreciate the dividends that you compulsive texters provide; even if it requires me to dodge a lot more road obstacles...
Just to be clear, TBW ( throttle by wire) is not wireless. It is just cable-less. Sensor on throttle sleeve tells the computer what position it's in. Computer tells a servo, via a wire, how much and how fast to open butterflies.

Bill

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts