Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent email to Polaris citing the Safety Recall Notice Campaign 13V-391 inquiring when they planned to replace the rear rims on the 2009-2013 King's Mountain Indians... their reply... DUH! Actually, they were unable to answer my inquiry because they didn't have my VIN#??? Hello... the recall is for all 2009-2013 King's Mountain Designed Motorcycles (all models)... they should be embarrassed, but I find this to be the norm for Polaris... I own 2 of their products... and I am blessed that I can do the work on them myself.

·
13,003 Posts
Guessing how the contrack reads. Maybe they just bough the name and none of the liabilities.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Having to deal with any bureaucracy will always lead one to frustration.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They say that they will have a solution by the end of this month... yeh right. It's going to take a serious accident for them to resolve the issue.., it amazes me how much they put at risk on safety recalls that they do nothing about. I think they really believe it's cheaper to pay off for an accident than to fix major problems... and it may be.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sent email to Polaris citing the Safety Recall Notice Campaign 13V-391 inquiring when they planned to replace the rear rims on the 2009-2013 King's Mountain Indians... their reply... DUH! Actually, they were unable to answer my inquiry because they didn't have my VIN#??? Hello... the recall is for all 2009-2013 King's Mountain Designed Motorcycles (all models)... they should be embarrassed, but I find this to be the norm for Polaris... I own 2 of their products... and I am blessed that I can do the work on them myself.
Are you really surprised? Your bike was built by the previous owners of the company, not a Polaris problem. Obviously they have to find the solution for a f**k up by Kings mountain. You seem really surprised by something that seems pretty obvious. I'm sure the Polaris legal team is trying to sort out who is going to pay for this, don't get me wrong you have every right to be pissed and I would be as well. Would you call the white house if you needed warranty work on your GMC?

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Are you really surprised? Your bike was built by the previous owners of the company, not a Polaris problem. Obviously they have to find the solution for a f**k up by Kings mountain. You seem really surprised by something that seems pretty obvious. I'm sure the Polaris legal team is trying to sort out who is going to pay for this, don't get me wrong you have every right to be pissed and I would be as well. Would you call the white house if you needed warranty work on your GMC?
Of course you would call the White House, it was Bush's fault, so its up to the present administration to handle it.:ltr:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually my 2013 FE was assembled by Indian Motorcycles in Spirit Lake, Iowa at a plant owned and operated by Polaris Industries. They bought the Indian brand in 2011 and dismantled the assembly line at Kings Mountain and moved it to Spirit Lake shortly thereafter.

2012 and 2013 Indians were built by Polaris in the fashion of the Kings Mountain Indians... the warrantee is strictly Polaris Industries responsibility.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Actually my 2013 FE was assembled by Indian Motorcycles in Spirit Lake, Iowa at a plant owned and operated by Polaris Industries. They bought the Indian brand in 2011 and dismantled the assembly line at Kings Mountain and moved it to Spirit Lake shortly thereafter.

2012 and 2013 Indians were built by Polaris in the fashion of the Kings Mountain Indians... the warrantee is strictly Polaris Industries responsibility.
I was under the assumption (and could have swore) it was built at Kings Mountain. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for someone to step up to the plate for you ....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well don't do that... instead read this link http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/321/15155/Motorcycle-Article/Indian-Motorcycle-Moving-Forward-With-Polaris.aspx and consider that those of us who have been Indian aficionados for our entire lives know just a little bit about them.
The way I read the article you included the link for was Polaris shut down Kings Mountain and moved their products to Polaris's assembly plant in Iowa. They only assembled KM's bikes there while they began R&D on what would be the "Polaris Indian". So my question based on my interpretation of the article is if all Polaris did was assemble KM's engineered parts on KM's motorcycles, does Polaris assume liability for something they had no control over in engineering and production of the parts you are having the difficulty with?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I read somewhere online that when Polaris bought Indian they bought it lock, stock, and barrel meaning they had to back the bikes they didn't even build. If I remember right the article said Polaris had already taken on responsibility for some of Kings Mountain defects. I believe defective kick stands and/or springs were one of the recalls Polaris was already addressing. I remember reading about the defective rims too. I think I was searching motorcycle manufacturer recalls and one hit listed a huge list of manufacturers recalls. Recalls are issued for safety related items, technical or service bulletins for non safety related issues. If you have a bike involved in a recall do whatever research is necessary online to get answers and do not let Polaris off the hook.

Tech23

·
Registered
25 Posts

Don't let the truth get in the way of a week informed experts knowledgable response:ltr:. Our Chiefs were built in the same building as the Cross Country's.

·
13,003 Posts
If you guys were Polaris and wanted to buy Indian and pay millions for it.
Why would you want there liabilities. If some one crashed cause the old Indian was built wrong and was going to sue you for a 100 million. Would you want that.
I dought Polaris will do any thing for you

·
Registered
25 Posts
:confused:

HandyHoward said that. What point are you trying to make?
Many so called Indian experts don't know what they are talking about, but opine as if they do repeatedly. I hear it over and over again. "Those are S&S engines", "That bike was made in North Carolina" , on and on ad infinitum. Are there rules on here about emphasizing a point someone else made that I have transgressed? If so, you have your work cut out for you look at your Victory threads. Or is this your version of intimidation?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Many so called Indian experts don't know what they are talking about, but opine as if they do repeatedly. I hear it over and over again. "Those are S&S engines", "That bike was made in North Carolina" , on and on ad infinitum. Are there rules on here about emphasizing a point someone else made that I have transgressed? If so, you have your work cut out for you look at your Victory threads. Or is this your version of intimidation?
Your original post sounded to me like you were calling out HandyHoward as some dimwit.....I apparently read it wrong. Sorry.

Enjoy your day.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was not my intent whatsoever. I felt I was supporting his statement, to lunatic rider tongue-in-cheek.Obviously my feeble attempt to demonstrate as such failed miserably. Perhaps I should refrain from joking until you guys get to know me a little better, let's chalk it up to FNG frivolity. My apologies to all concerned as well. It will be pushing 80 here today, I will go ride my Polaris made Chief and will have will most assuredly have a nice day.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If I recall the press release, Polaris bought the indian name, liabilities and assets. They would be responsible for all of the older Indians made in NC. They might be responsible for ALL the old Indians, depending on the contractual language as the brand was sold over the years. As far as why Polaris would buy the liabilites??? Probably the only way the could aquire the assets...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts