Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Victory, some of Victory owners have come over to our site
http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showforum=99 so I decided to check you guys out. I am a second generation Indian rider and have a 2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster in the rare Red and Black. It is well known that Victory produces some very well engineered and assembled scoots and in the long run, Polaris, Victory and Indian will benefit. I do not know much about Victory outside of your reputation, so hopefully you can educate me. There are three generations of Indian Motorcycles; Springfield, Ma, Gilroy, Ca and Kings Mountain, NC (current) 1901 - 2011

Oh - We hate Harley too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Indian Motorcycles

I can't think of a better company to acquire Indian. Even though Indian's DNA is closely related to Harley and Victory's DNA is more Japanese. Together with Victory's attention to customer satisfaction and rider input on it's products, Will make Indian a stronger brand. Now if they can get the prices down to better compete in this tough market, that will help or they will remain a boutique brand with a small market. Personally I would like to see some Victory engines morphed into a Chief frame, sort of like a Kingpin with the valenced fenders!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't think of a better company to acquire Indian. Even though Indian's DNA is closely related to Harley and Victory's DNA is more Japanese. Together with Victory's attention to customer satisfaction and rider input on it's products, Will make Indian a stronger brand. Now if they can get the prices down to better compete in this tough market, that will help or they will remain a boutique brand with a small market. Personally I would like to see some Victory engines morphed into a Chief frame, sort of like a Kingpin with the valenced fenders!

Indian has a great V-twin engine, as it was completely re-engineered prior to the first 2009 Chief to be built. It is a 105 CI / 1720cc propriety engine. You will not find any major issues with the Indian Chief that was built in Kings Mountain after 2009, I own one and can attest that it indeed is a great bike. I suggest you review any and all evaluation that has been done on the scoot, all reviews I have come across have been positive and impressive. Indian never copied Harley, the opposite is true - Indian was founded in 1901!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Huh?!? wac
Perhaps he is confused by the ole "metric" aspects of the Victorys and does not realize (yet) that Victory is as American made as are the Indian bikes.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Indian has a great V-twin engine, as it was completely re-engineered prior to the first 2009 Chief to be built. It is a 105 CI / 1720cc propriety engine. You will not find any major issues with the Indian Chief that was built in Kings Mountain after 2009, I own one and can attest that it indeed is a great bike. I suggest you review any and all evaluation that has been done on the scoot, all reviews I have come across have been positive and impressive. Indian never copied Harley, the opposite is true - Indian was founded in 1901!
I bet this is why Polaris decided buying Indian in its present form and engineering was a winner for them. Even if they keep the exclusiveness of the Indian, and I hope they do, and also keep the prices high because the quality demands it and sell the same amount or more; they will keep the Indian brand going and in the USA.

I kinda wish they would have kept the plant in Kings Mountain but I understand they have a need to keep things closer together to both monitor the quality and to simply make a profit which is of course what any company is in business to do.

A lot of folks are hoping they bring back the Scout as a more affordable model under $18k. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I also hope the current 25 employees are offered jobs at the new plant with moving costs included.

Oh, and Victory is not Japanese. Just Metric like everything else these days. I don't see anything wrong with the Japanese, German, or British bikes either.

Has Indian gone metric yet?

·
Registered
301 Posts
great pics, love the style of these bikes, maybe add one in 3 years to my colection!!:crzy:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Welcome Victory Forums.

A couple of pointers. Please take the time to read the “Sticky” threads in the “Victory Forums Rules and New Members Introductions” forum. This will help you out a LOT with the Victory Forums.

The Search feature is your friend! You will find the answers to a lot of your questions by using it.

If you are asking questions that are of a technical/mechanical/electrical/performance nature, please place them in the “Victory Tech and Performance” forum. This will speed up a response. Placing them in the model specific forum can delay a response.

Please add the year and model of your bike to your signature, so we know how to help when you ask a question

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the Vic side! Hopefully this acquistion keeps you Indian folks around another 110 years!thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I wonder if some (if not all) Indian dealers will start to carry Victory and vice-versa. Might not be a bad way to increase your dealer network. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet this is why Polaris decided buying Indian in its present form and engineering was a winner for them. Even if they keep the exclusiveness of the Indian, and I hope they do, and also keep the prices high because the quality demands it and sell the same amount or more; they will keep the Indian brand going and in the USA.

I kinda wish they would have kept the plant in Kings Mountain but I understand they have a need to keep things closer together to both monitor the quality and to simply make a profit which is of course what any company is in business to do.

A lot of folks are hoping they bring back the Scout as a more affordable model under $18k. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I also hope the current 25 employees are offered jobs at the new plant with moving costs included.

Oh, and Victory is not Japanese. Just Metric like everything else these days. I don't see anything wrong with the Japanese, German, or British bikes either.

Has Indian gone metric yet?
Bob, I am with the same thinking of keeping Indian Motorcycle in Kings Mountain, NC and keep all the employees. Many of these employees relocated to the Charlotte area to work for Indian, so this acquisition has created some bad feelings by them and many of us dedicated to the brand.

I think and know that the merger is good for the Indian brand, but feel they could of approached the changes in a slower and gentler direction. Many of us are very much concerned, as they stopped production and do not plan to build Indian Motorcycles for another two years? This does not seem to make any sense, especially since the Chief is a well engineered, quality built scoot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice lookin' bikes and engine.

How many models does Indian currently make?
For 2011, there are six different versions of the "Chief" line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I meant was that Victory engines are more closely related to Japanese designs as far as mechanical function. The overhead cams, cam chains, gear primary drive all are built like a Japanese V-twin. I know my Victory was made in America, but so was my Honda. I don't mean that as a slam. The Japanese bikes are very reliable and so is a Victory. Victory, like HD sources a lot of parts from overseas, they have to to be competitive.
I wasn't slamming Indian's engine either. I'm just saying that it is a design that is more like HD's than anything. I think Indians are fine motorcycles, they better be for 30 grand.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Bob, I am with the same thinking of keeping Indian Motorcycle in Kings Mountain, NC and keep all the employees. Many of these employees relocated to the Charlotte area to work for Indian, so this acquisition has created some bad feelings by them and many of us dedicated to the brand.

I think and know that the merger is good for the Indian brand, but feel they could of approached the changes in a slower and gentler direction. Many of us are very much concerned, as they stopped production and do not plan to build Indian Motorcycles for another two years? This does not seem to make any sense, especially since the Chief is a well engineered, quality built scoot.
I would be willing to bet that Vic is doing this to look at cost and efficiency.

They probably saw things at the plant that they want to change because it is not cost effective.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be willing to bet that Vic is doing this to look at cost and efficiency.

They probably saw things at the plant that they want to change because it is not cost effective.
I am sure that having the Indian manufacturing plant next to or close to the "Victory" one is more effective and efficient, it makes business sense. I know that immediately they will cut costs with Indian by at least 15%. My concern is with the employees who will lose their jobs and in this "Obama Economy", that is not a good thing. I do hope that Polaris has or will make them offers. The Indian Motorcycle has been built by hand and only two set of hands worked on them, no assembly line like with Harley. I have a nice framed document that came with my scoot, two signatures of the builders are on it. It was a nice touch!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I thought you didn't like the merger Stephen? I am not sure yet I am completely on board with it. I like the Polaris bikes as far as being American, and I like everything I have read about the "George Jetson" looking bike (Vision?) and may own one one day. I do not believe I would like a hybrid version of the two brands, and I'm betting the Victory guys wouldn't either. Too be completely honest, I do not believe in today's economic climate they will be able to keep the brands separate although they have stated as such. If the economy continues to decline, something would really have to give. Knowing how the bean counters think, I believe something would have to me done to cut costs, I don't know how long the operation of two separate operations doing the same thing would make economic sense (I am not a business guy so could be completely wrong) I own 3 Indians, a 1947 Chief, a 2002 Chief, and a 2002 Scout. Both my Grandpa and Dad were Indian men. The best friend I ever had bought a Victory when they 1st came out, a V92 Classic I think a 99? He rode the heck out of that bike until a uninsured, unlicensed, un-sober, unemployed welfare queen ran a red light and murdered him. That bike was bulletproof.He often rode that bike from North Carolina to Minnesocold and back to visit his family. If the changes are internal, great. Unlike my friend Stephens experience, there have been some issues with the KM bikes from the folks that ride them as with any new project. It is my belief they were on their way to working them out though. Nothing as bad as those of us who bought the Gilroy bikes experienced (and yes Springfield's as well) I fully support anything Indian. I was very happy to fill out a questionnaire the Polaris Company posted on the Indian Motorcycle Community for Indian riders to fill out. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for those of us who have been involved with the brand. I have high hopes, but have chosen to take a wait and see attitude.

I am not the enemy, I came here to learn more about y'all's rides. Stephen peaked some curiosity in me with his post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, I thought you didn't like the merger Stephen? I am not sure yet I am completely on board with it. I like the Polaris bikes as far as being American, and I like everything I have read about the "George Jetson" looking bike (Vision?) and may own one one day. I do not believe I would like a hybrid version of the two brands, and I'm betting the Victory guys wouldn't either. Too be completely honest, I do not believe in today's economic climate they will be able to keep the brands separate although they have stated as such. If the economy continues to decline, something would really have to give. Knowing how the bean counters think, I believe something would have to me done to cut costs, I don't know how long the operation of two separate operations doing the same thing would make economic sense (I am not a business guy so could be completely wrong) I own 3 Indians, a 1947 Chief, a 2002 Chief, and a 2002 Scout. Both my Grandpa and Dad were Indian men. The best friend I ever had bought a Victory when they 1st came out, a V92 Classic I think a 99? He rode the heck out of that bike until a uninsured, unlicensed, un-sober, unemployed welfare queen ran a red light and murdered him. That bike was bulletproof.He often rode that bike from North Carolina to Minnesocold and back to visit his family. If the changes are internal, great. Unlike my friend Stephens experience, there have been some issues with the KM bikes from the folks that ride them as with any new project. It is my belief they were on their way to working them out though. Nothing as bad as those of us who bought the Gilroy bikes experienced (and yes Springfield's as well) I fully support anything Indian. I was very happy to fill out a questionnaire the Polaris Company posted on the Indian Motorcycle Community for Indian riders to fill out. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for those of us who have been involved with the brand. I have high hopes, but have chosen to take a wait and see attitude.

I am not the enemy, I came here to learn more about y'all's rides. Stephen peaked some curiosity in me with his post.
Hi Pete, I was in total shock when the acquisition came upon us. I figured it would remain in Kings Mountain for some time, also upset about the moving of the plant and unemployment for the dedicated Indian employees. The dust has settled some, so I am (as many others) with the impression that the acquisition will be good for Indian in the future. I also completed the questionnaire and impressed that Polaris is interested in our opinions. My experience with my scoot has been very positive, love it and glad I made the investment back in 09.

I think Polaris will keep both Indian and Victory separate business units, as it makes perfect business sense. They then can serve folks like us that are "Old School" and offer others who like the more modern look of a Victory. I love Indian, and like yourself have it in my blood - my dad still has his 47" and 52" Chief's. Looks like we are the only ones checking out the Victory guys and trying to learn more about their world. Good to hear from you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts