Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Indian Scout

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sanfranciscoriderr 
#1 ·
Went to the new Indian dealer in Elkhart IN today and sat on a new Scout. Can't wait for the demo truck, I really want to ride one

#3 ·
Don't ride it unless you have the coin to buy one ;) I have to echo what BBob said "It's really made for smaller people" yeah, well I'm a smaller people and I loved it!

Great motor! I'd love to see it in an Adventure bike or a Street Tracker frame. If I had the extra coin a Scout would be the perfect little Sister for the XC.

#5 ·
The Scout does have Options to Lengthen or Shorten Shifter and Brake Positions as Well as Seats and Handlebars as well .. At 5'8" Just as it comes fit me perfect .. Although did go with Reduced Reach Bars so could Raise them up a little for better comfort .. I would say 6 Foot could be comfortable maybe slightly More but if 6'4" or more this is not the Bike for you .. Meanwhile have close to 11,000 Miles on my Scout Now and After Improving the Suspension is One Fine Ride that Look Forward to Riding for Thousands More Miles ..

#6 ·
Got a chance to ride one today. What a blast to ride. That thing will hit 100 MPH like nothing. It felt like the torque really starts pulling at around 3,800 RMP or so. Damn I had fun on that!!!! Been on the XC for 2 seasons so I kinda forgot what the wind on your chest is like, but OH BOY I want one:grin. It seemed like a minibike after being on the XC but what a great solo rider it will be. BTW I'm about 5'10" LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

#12 ·
Hey Johnny, did you lose your Vision?:) After looking at the stats for that bike I feel like I babied it. I felt like the powerband started at 3,800 RPM but after looking at the statistics it looks like I need to ride one MUCH harder. Peak torque is about 6,000 and peak HP is around 8,000. The clutch is very light which I liked, and the trans shifts noiselessly. This is a very refined bike for the price. My friend has a Sporty and rode a Chieftain, she is SOLD on Indian.

#13 ·
My friend has a Sporty and rode a Chieftain, she is SOLD on Indian.
Quite a difference between the two in size, weight, and power. Is your friend medium sized like maybe 180 lbs or...?

There's a closer weight between a Sporty and a Scout. You are 100% right about the Scout engine having a much higher rpm range and power band.

I have a theory I can probably never confirm but I think the Scout engine was in the works before Polaris bought the Indian name and decided to go all in with the Indian big twin and the whole Indian heritage thing they ended up doing.

I think the Scout engine was going to be a new Victory model but their market testing showed they would do better financially and historically by making it an Indian Scout rather than a Victory 'something'.

It goes like that sometimes in big business. Just gotta roll with the opportunities as they present themselves.

I also think they want to make it right by the Victory brand by following up with a similar engine but different chassis so no one can say it's a Scout clone with a Victory emblem.

Just my gut feeling on it and I could be way off. Time will tell.

#14 ·
Quite a difference between the two in size, weight, and power. Is your friend medium sized like maybe 180 lbs or...?

There's a closer weight between a Sporty and a Scout. You are 100% right about the Scout engine having a much higher rpm range and power band.

I have a theory I can probably never confirm but I think the Scout engine was in the works before Polaris bought the Indian name and decided to go all in with the Indian big twin and the whole Indian heritage thing they ended up doing.

I think the Scout engine was going to be a new Victory model but their market testing showed they would do better financially and historically by making it an Indian Scout rather than a Victory 'something'.

It goes like that sometimes in big business. Just gotta roll with the opportunities as they present themselves.

I also think they want to make it right by the Victory brand by following up with a similar engine but different chassis so no one can say it's a Scout clone with a Victory emblem.

Just my gut feeling on it and I could be way off. Time will tell.

I think you are dead on or at least close .. Should find out Soon ..

#15 ·
FYI

National Cycle Released Windshields For The New Indian Scout Published by Cyril Huze November 15th, 2015 http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/category/customs/.
National Cycle, a leader in motorcycle windshields for many brands offers several designs for the new Scout.
All are manufactured of durable polycarbonate with a proprietary Quantum hardcoat technology.
The Indian Scout windshield lineup includes the Flyscreen® (if you are fond of the Cafe Racer Style), the Street Shield and Street Shield EX™, the Deflector Screen™ DX.
They all feature a quick release mounting kit. At National Cycle.

#16 ·
Its a push rod motor and how many of you said they don't make power.
Bbob you could be right when Polaris bought Indian it had a S&S component motor with a lot of problems.

Moto usa had this to say

We recently got a chance to spend a little more time o the 2014 Indian Chief Vintage, so we took the opportunity to put it on our in-house dyno. Results confirmed it is a torque monster, the 1811cc mill putting out 100.87 lb-ft @ 2700 rpm and 73.33 hp @ 4500 rpm. At 2100 rpm, you’ve already got 94.94 lb-ft of torque to play with. While it peeks at 2700 rpm, another mid-range surge soon follows as it again produces over 100 lb-ft at 3100-3200 rpm. We thought you might be interested to see some of the first dyno numbers provided by an outside source, so we graphed a 2014 Indian Chief Vintage dyno chart for your perusal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.