Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Spyshots have emerged of a new Indian tourer being tested with a water-cooled engine, fixed fairing and performance focused parts – all firsts for the brand’s touring range.

Based on recent IP filings we believe the bike is called the Raptor and will be a brand new model in Indian’s range, effectively picking up where defunct sister brand Victory left off. Up front is a fixed fairing, clearly aimed at the Harley-Davidson Road Glide.

Sitting in the middle of the machine is a brand new water-cooled engine, which we believe will complement rather than replace the existing air-cooled Thunderstroke 111. It’s likely to have a similar displacement (around 1800cc) so that it keeps all that torque but there’s a good chance it will make more power, too.

Given that the Thunderstroke recently got a power boost to 82bhp, despite tighter emissions regulations, we’d expect the new engine to make in excess of 100bhp.

It will likely move the electronics on again (the latest bikes already have power modes) with traction control a distinct possibility as well as cornering ABS and other touring comforts like hill hold braking.

Arguably more important is the front end. Look closely and you’ll notice a pair of hefty looking USD forks and a pair of Brembo monoblocs. While this doesn’t guarantee the final spec, it suggests that Indian want to focus on performance and handling, as well as looks.

Until recently, Indian have mostly focused on heritage models, leaving the performance machines for Victory, but the FTR1200 heralded a new direction – one in which their usual rivals have traditionally struggled.

This move will be important for Indian as European brands look to muscle in on their turf with high-tech offerings.

There’s no official word from Indian but we expect them to unveil it at the Sturgis motorcycle rally in the US, August 2-11, as a 2020 model.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/amp/news/2019/april/indian-raptor-2020/?fbclid=IwAR1TcCuwdsi4i085OSP5YyizB6zNqXa3gIfNg7a4926MfpA-6ZcASnKdJ0s

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw another pic of with a rider on one of these and it looked like he had about the same amount of leg room as an HD Roadglide. Not good. If they raked the front out a little and put the wheel and floor boards out (or longer) 2-3" I think they would have it. The rider looked like he was sitting more on top of the bike rather than in it too so a lower seat height would be good too. I would prefer different bars but that's getting into personal preference.

I applaud the water cooled engine. It was not only inevitable; it was needed. The air-cooled big twins are simple and work but more power is to be had from water cooled and the closer tolerances they make possible. Yes, yes, I know the Victory engines are partially oil cooled and under normal stresses that works just fine. It's under extreme heat and cold where I see a problem with them whether that's caused by ambient temps or stop and go traffic. More heat than cold. There's a happy zone all engines perform their best. That's the goal to shoot for IMHO.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The patents of the engine that appears to match the one on that bike are under Polaris, not Indian brand as the other Indian stuff. Which suggests that maybe this was something on the table while Victory was still running as a next generation engine. Only Polaris knows for sure...

I do like my used Vic and I'll get many years out of it. Down the road I'm not against Indian if they have something I like at the time. I think many on here expected Polaris to eventually pivot the Indian brand to something similar to Victory on at least some models.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's that picture of a guy riding one of these in the wild.

See what I mean about sitting on top of the bike and needing more leg room?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Doesn't look anymore on top than my CCT. Floorboards look small but maybe they have giant feet.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe because I lowered my XC 1" and use a Ness seat that sits lower; I feel like I sit more in mine. Also my knees aren't bent like the guy in the pic. Far more straight. Then again I'm only 5'9" (I shrunk an 1"). My KP feels the same way. Down into it with my legs at a more comfy angle and it hasn't been lowered and it's just a fancy leather flame seat.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'd like to sit more "in" mine than on top. I just live with it.

Possibly person in pic is just a large person so they look different than someone of average height. I do think the Indian are a bit smaller than the Victory equivalent though so this bike probably in line with that.

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
Given that the Thunderstroke recently got a power boost to 82bhp, despite tighter emissions regulations, we’d expect the new engine to make in excess of 100bhp.
Looks like 120hp.

CLICK

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good find! From the article:

Unfortunately, the patent does not describe the engine’s displacement, so it’s difficult to tell how it compares to the 1811cc air-cooled Thunder Stroke 111 49° V-Twin engine powering Indian’s existing heavyweight models. Based on the illustrations, it appears the engine is similarly set up like the Thunder Stroke with a belt drive on the right side, which seems to match what we see in the leaked photo. (UPDATE: according to our sources, the new engine will have a 108 ci/1770 cc displacement and be paired with a six-speed transmission. The same source says the claimed output will be 120 hp.)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I'll gladly take one for a test ride. As for all those Polaris-haters, good. Fewer people to be in front of me for the test ride. :D

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll gladly take one for a test ride. As for all those Polaris-haters, good. Fewer people to be in front of me for the test ride. :D
I don't hate Polaris. I hate what they did to Victory and I'm disappointed with Polaris but I don't hate them.

I don't know if I would ever buy another Polaris product due to them dropping Victory like they did even if I understand the financial reason they did. They could have downsized or done a number of other things that didn't require them to quit entirely.

Having said that; I'd like to test ride one of these too. Looks like it will be a 2020 model so it's gonna be a while before that can happen. Possibly at this year's Sturgis run but I bet the line will be long.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I want to see Polaris succeed in the motorcycle business because I like having options when it is time to buy. I am NOT brand loyal and I shop used. I like having several choices for my two wheel transportation and the bike that I like at the time will get my money. I do hope to keep my Vic rolling long past that 10 year part window.

I'm not fond of the Indian look or the Harley look but the look continues to evolve. Something might appeal to me in the future when I'm back in the market.

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I'm not brand loyal either and really don't understand people that are, they're a business we're a customer. Done.

Right now, and don't quote me but when my Vic is old and tired I see a trip to the Vic shop for a big bore and a basic "go through it" kind of thing. Then I'll have a new, old Vic that will be even more fun to ride.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you're a shareholder, you understand and support the decisions that company makes to keep the company viable and profitable. That's the American/Capitalism way.

As for brand loyalty, the only way I try to practice it is to "Buy American" to as much degree as is possible with global sourcing.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
ya gotta admit though its a fugly hogly looking thing, just ain't got the Victory styling.
Probably a good engine, Polaris engineering is great, though their marketing sucks, and we know full-well we cant trust em as far as we can kick em
Sure glad I got both of mine and got em enhanced to where I really like em.
If Im test riding anything it'll be an FTR 1200, doubt Id be buying one new but.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I always considered brand loyalty a form of blindness.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
During the middle of the day, on one great night,
Two dead boys got up to fight.
Back-to-back, they faced each other.
Drew their swords and shot each other.
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
Then went and shot the two dead buys.