1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
OH NO! Not another crank thread.

·
Registered
470 Posts
d you know if its 1 pieced or pieced up. kinda looks like a harley press together. wonder if it is knife and fork rods or side by side.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
d you know if its 1 pieced or pieced up. kinda looks like a harley press together. wonder if it is knife and fork rods or side by side.
I only know what you see here. Looks like one connecting rod so I guess it's the knife and fork style like HD. I seriously doubt Victory would make the same mistake as HD and use a simple press fit crank that could shift and blow the motor.

Kind of a funny thing I think I use to do too and still do on the little Sporty I still have... I was and am too leery of really getting on the throttle with HD's 'cause I worry too much about something in the motor letting go. On any of the 4 Vic's I've owned; I never worry about it and do it all the time.

Besides the power difference between the two brands; this is the most glaring difference. That lack of confidence in the HD motor is not something I miss at all. Yes, you can fix those weaknesses out of a Harley motor, but it will cost at least $5k whereas the the Victory motor comes strong right out of the box.

Indian/Polaris is redesigning the motor. I seriously doubt they will make a weaker motor than the ones they use in Vic's.

Ok; jumping off soap box now... :D ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
i would HOPE you're right, but i have a feeling it will just be another power plus harley copy motor. i have owned a lot of hd's and have never babied any of them though, the last rk i had i ran the crap out of, smoked the tire every now and then, never had any trouble at all in over 28,000 miles. the cam tensioners needed changing and it gave me a good excuse to get something newer was the only reason i sold it. i think you're a little paronoid about them.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure you are right but maybe I have a reason to be paranoid after breaking them so many times and having to go without a bike for up to 6 months because I could not afford to fix them any quicker at the time. For whatever reason; some HD's do stand up to the punishment much better than others. Sounds like you have been much luckier than me.

I'm just glad to be able to ride a bike that'll take whatever punishment I give it. I never do burnouts though; at least not on purpose. :D

·
Registered
690 Posts
The Indian crank looks die cast to me. That's what the Harley crank is now too. Forged is the way to go. I could be wrong because its just a little photograph and looks can be deceiving.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think you are correct--- it looks cast. However, I have always been told that cast iron is the strongest -- affordable-- strength to weight metals available. You can get stronger, but at a weight penalty and you can get lighter but not as durable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts