Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '15 XC for a couple of weeks now, and thought I'd share a bit about my experience. This is my 2nd Vic, just off an '09 Hammer S.

On the up side, this is one immensely competent highway motorcycle. I absolutely love riding it. Comfortable, sure-footed, plenty of ground clearance.

There isn't really any down side, just a couple of adjustments needed, both mentally and to the bike itself.
Mine has the abbreviated screen. The wind hits me half way up my helmet, so I have ordered an LRS 9" screen....which I hope will send the wind over my head. I'm a newbie to bike with screens too, even with over 30 years riding time.

A note to potential Vic touring bike owners. When parking your bike, don't back the rear wheel right up to the kerb. Even if the big guard clears it, when you lean the bike on to it's stand the LH exhaust probably won't.

This bike is HEAVY in parking lot situations. Low speed manoeuvring is an art I haven't quite got comfy with yet. The Hammer was an art, too 'cos of the big tyre....but different. Don't park where you have to back up even the slightest incline. It doesn't take this bike to come much off the vertical before it starts getting heavy. I would recommend avoiding trying to push it around....get on it and start it. I'm concerned I will drop it and damage all that nice paint.
What happen to a XC when it falls over? Will I get it up again (lol), or will I need help (lol again)? Or is it easy like that You Tube clip of the dude picking up a Vision? What will it damage?

Once up and running, though, it is an absolute delight and feels like a much smaller bike. I live in a rural area so it suits me fine....I wouldn't have it if I was in traffic all the time. The Tri-Ovals sound great, and I love the somewhat sinister appearance of the bike. Cruise control is excellent.

One happy camper....here is a pic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm interested in getting one as well, coming from my Hammer too, good information. I've never rode one but, I have sat on one at the dealer. It freaks me out that I can't see the front wheel when I look down. How does it feel to ride something with all that mass in front of you? Is the handling much better than the hammer?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
The LRS is gonna curve in a bit on both sides at the fairing. I encourage you to go to your parts store and get some narrow door strip or some sort of rubber seal with a groove you can use as a track to take up the space at the bottom to butt it up against the fairing. I have pictures I can show you of how I did mine.

Nice looking bike btw! I love the color.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested in getting one as well, coming from my Hammer too, good information. I've never rode one but, I have sat on one at the dealer. It freaks me out that I can't see the front wheel when I look down. How does it feel to ride something with all that mass in front of you? Is the handling much better than the hammer?
Don't worry about the mass in front. At least, I had no issue with it and that's coming from someone with no experience of a screen.
It handles much better than the Hammer, you will be seriously impressed. Much quicker steering, much better ride comfort. I have 45km of twisties near me and on the Hammer it was grinding the pegs (and boots) around nearly every corner. Happily the angled wear on my boot heels makes my boots sit just nicely on the XC footboards!
On the XC I only ground the footboards once, and that was momentarily. I seemed to going around corners much quicker than the Hammer. I don't think Hammers handle badly, but they require muscling around corners and are let down by ground clearance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The LRS is gonna curve in a bit on both sides at the fairing. I encourage you to go to your parts store and get some narrow door strip or some sort of rubber seal with a groove you can use as a track to take up the space at the bottom to butt it up against the fairing. I have pictures I can show you of how I did mine.

Nice looking bike btw! I love the color.
Thanks LW....I have seen the pics of the curve gap and would love to see yours.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've had my '15 XC for a couple of weeks now, and thought I'd share a bit about my experience. This is my 2nd Vic, just off an '09 Hammer S.

On the up side, this is one immensely competent highway motorcycle. I absolutely love riding it. Comfortable, sure-footed, plenty of ground clearance.

There isn't really any down side, just a couple of adjustments needed, both mentally and to the bike itself.
Mine has the abbreviated screen. The wind hits me half way up my helmet, so I have ordered an LRS 9" screen....which I hope will send the wind over my head. I'm a newbie to bike with screens too, even with over 30 years riding time.

A note to potential Vic touring bike owners. When parking your bike, don't back the rear wheel right up to the kerb. Even if the big guard clears it, when you lean the bike on to it's stand the LH exhaust probably won't.

This bike is HEAVY in parking lot situations. Low speed manoeuvring is an art I haven't quite got comfy with yet. The Hammer was an art, too 'cos of the big tyre....but different. Don't park where you have to back up even the slightest incline. It doesn't take this bike to come much off the vertical before it starts getting heavy. I would recommend avoiding trying to push it around....get on it and start it. I'm concerned I will drop it and damage all that nice paint.
What happen to a XC when it falls over? Will I get it up again (lol), or will I need help (lol again)? Or is it easy like that You Tube clip of the dude picking up a Vision? What will it damage?

Once up and running, though, it is an absolute delight and feels like a much smaller bike. I live in a rural area so it suits me fine....I wouldn't have it if I was in traffic all the time. The Tri-Ovals sound great, and I love the somewhat sinister appearance of the bike. Cruise control is excellent.

One happy camper....here is a pic.
Good report, and nice bike. Here are a few comments:

- You'll get used to not seeing the front wheel. I thought the same thing -- it was strange, didn't want to ride a bike like that -- about four bikes and 15 years ago. You get used to it, is all, and then it's a non-issue.

- You can pick up any bike if you turn the downside handlebar toward the seat (it would probably be that way already), grab it and something behind the seat, and -- most importantly -- put your butt against the seat edge and simply walk backward. There are all sorts of videos out there of, for instance, women doing this on big H-Ds, Gold Wings, etc. The important part is that you are not attempting to lift it up; instead, you are just walking/pushing it, er, behind you, and the arc of doing that will bring it up.

- If you slowly drop one of these bikes, nothing will be damaged... providing it's slow, and providing you have bag guards. Which I see you don't. I don't know whether Vic makes the guards blacked out; if not, I'd buy some and then have them powdered coated. I think Arizona Vic sells the police guards in black; yes, they're expensive (but have you priced the Vic hard saddlebags?), and a long wait time, but I think those guards, especially, would look really sharp on your bike (which already looks really sharp).

Along the same lines, the Vic passenger grab handles are extremely sturdy, and provide a perfect place to grab if you ever need to walk the bike back up. Again, same problem as the bag guards: you would need to get these powder-coated, if Vic doesn't sell them in black (and I don't think they do). I don't think black grab rails would ruin the lines of the bike, IMHO.

- Windshields are cheap, so keep trying. I have the adjustable Madstad brackets and shield, but I don't think that would look good on your bike (and some people don't think they look good on any bike, but I think they're okay on my XCT).

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
227 Posts
VictoryPoliceMotorcycles.com has some nice videos on how to pick up your XC. First time I had a slow speed drop in a parking lot, I needed help. Embarrassed I came home and studied those videos. Then I went into the garage and practiced. Once since I have tipped over at a declining intersection, and got her picked up before the light changed.

You'll get the hang of it.

Cheers,
D.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Second bike I ever rode was a 1987 Suzuki Cavalcade. Think 2-wheeled land yacht. it was even more expensive than the top-of-the-line Harley for that year.

Huge fairing. That bike led me to a GoldWing, also a huge fairing.

90,000 miles later between the two of them, and now over 25,000 on my XCT. I don't miss my front wheel at all ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good report, and nice bike. Here are a few comments:

- You can pick up any bike if you turn the downside handlebar toward the seat (it would probably be that way already), grab it and something behind the seat, and -- most importantly -- put your butt against the seat edge and simply walk backward. There are all sorts of videos out there of, for instance, women doing this on big H-Ds, Gold Wings, etc. The important part is that you are not attempting to lift it up; instead, you are just walking/pushing it, er, behind you, and the arc of doing that will bring it up.

- If you slowly drop one of these bikes, nothing will be damaged... providing it's slow, and providing you have bag guards. Which I see you don't. I don't know whether Vic makes the guards blacked out; if not, I'd buy some and then have them powdered coated. I think Arizona Vic sells the police guards in black; yes, they're expensive (but have you priced the Vic hard saddlebags?), and a long wait time, but I think those guards, especially, would look really sharp on your bike (which already looks really sharp).

Along the same lines, the Vic passenger grab handles are extremely sturdy, and provide a perfect place to grab if you ever need to walk the bike back up. Again, same problem as the bag guards: you would need to get these powder-coated, if Vic doesn't sell them in black (and I don't think they do). I don't think black grab rails would ruin the lines of the bike, IMHO.
Thankyou, I will check these out.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Andytwodogs, in the bike parts for sale/wanted subforum, I just posted Victory chrome OEM bag guards for sale that would fit your bike. They are $200+ shipping but I suspect shipping to you in Australia would be cost prohibitive. They don't weigh much (~20 lbs) but the box is large (16" x 21" 33").

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Vinish, I'll keep it in mind but I'm not sure what I want to do. Apart from postage I have to get them stripped & powdercoated too..........

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dropped mine in a slow speed situation. (backing out of my driveway :eek:) I did no damage to bags. I don't have bag guards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dropped mine in a slow speed situation. (backing out of my driveway :eek:) I did no damage to bags. I don't have bag guards.
Well, it is the bags I'm most worried about, and after seeing videos of X-bikes falling on to the front bars I'm beginning to think I am wasting a worry. I had visions of crushed and splintered bags but it seems that it not as likely as I thought. Apart from the cost of bag bars, I'm not of a mind to add things to a bike....I have traditionally taken things off.
Maybe I should just be careful and, if the worst occurs I have insurance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
beautiful ride. i see you got the what i call sneaky pete paint skeem.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
dropped

Andy if you can swing it get the police bag guards. I bit the bullet and ordered them with the bike when I got it from Arizona Victory years ago. The guards paid for themselfs. Backing the bike up in the gravel I slipped and dropped the bike. Bike was in my yard being backed up, but the right side fell against a small cement step going into the house. If it had not been for the guard it would have damaged the bag, it did damage the powder coating on the paint of the police bag guard. The other thing the handling going slow, for such a big bike they are well balanced, but if the tires are low on pressure it does make them harder to steer going slow. I like to run at least 40-psi in front and back tyres. Also I did not see a trunk mounted on your bike, if you do have a trunk mounted on the back it does make it harder to handle,the factory trunk and bracket I believe way around 50-lbs, not light. Also how full is your rear shock, what psi are you running in it? If the rear shock is over full it will raise the bike up higher in the back, that again can affect the steering and balance. I am 5'7" , so I like the bike sitting stock, but I do not run a lot of air in the rear shock, my legs are kind of short so I do not want to raise it much, ha, ha. Enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andy if you can swing it get the police bag guards. I bit the bullet and ordered them with the bike when I got it from Arizona Victory years ago. The guards paid for themselfs. Backing the bike up in the gravel I slipped and dropped the bike. Bike was in my yard being backed up, but the right side fell against a small cement step going into the house. If it had not been for the guard it would have damaged the bag, it did damage the powder coating on the paint of the police bag guard. The other thing the handling going slow, for such a big bike they are well balanced, but if the tires are low on pressure it does make them harder to steer going slow. I like to run at least 40-psi in front and back tyres. Also I did not see a trunk mounted on your bike, if you do have a trunk mounted on the back it does make it harder to handle,the factory trunk and bracket I believe way around 50-lbs, not light. Also how full is your rear shock, what psi are you running in it? If the rear shock is over full it will raise the bike up higher in the back, that again can affect the steering and balance. I am 5'7" , so I like the bike sitting stock, but I do not run a lot of air in the rear shock, my legs are kind of short so I do not want to raise it much, ha, ha. Enjoy the new bike!
Thanks SB, I saw the police bars and I think if I was gunna do it I'd go for the Vic ones if only because they look a bit better to my eye. I have no trunk, and don't really foresee needing one. I feel ok on the bike (I'm about the same shortness as you)....I just tried pushing it around standing to one side and discovered that it is not really a good idea......it's also hard to back up just because of sheer bulk. I haven't checked the tyre pressures yet :eek nor the shock, at my weight I'm expecting to need about zero pressure in it. I'm waiting on a backrest to arrive and I was gunna check the pressure and get rid of the long antenna while I was doing that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts