Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all the Victory 106ci models call for an initial oil change at 500 miles? My Hammer does, but I met a fellow in a parking lot riding a new 2016 Cross Country. We talked for a few minutes and he mentioned that he was close to 1,000 miles. I asked him how his oil looked when it was changed and his reply was that he hadn't changed it yet, that his manual called for the first oil change to be done at 1,500 miles. Was he wrong?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Per the 2015 XC Owners manual.

Break-In Maintenance
Have your VICTORY dealer perform the break-in maintenance procedures when the motorcycle’s odometer registers 500 miles (800 km). Performing the break-in maintenance will help ensure optimum engine performance for the entire service life of the engine. Your dealer will change engine oil, inspect all fluids and serviceable components, ensure that all fasteners are tightened and make other adjustments as needed.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Add to this GOOD info of Bbob

If you don't ride that much, please change your engine oil every 12 months, moister gets in the oil so does the gears, etc..... It is cheap insurance

A buddy of mine just bought a 2009 DYNA HD ( for 20k USD ) and he asked my opinion, so the tires, brake fluid, are from 2009, the engine oils are from 2016.....

I adviced him to change the
1. Tires
2. All 3 engine oils
3. Brake fluid

And ride that sucker

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
If that's a Dyna it's very highly modified. Looks more like a Softail to me with a different swingarm. Whatever it is; it's a really nice looking custom bike.
Build in the USA, shipped over to here.... Yes it is a gorgeous bike....

Oups sorry, I think it is a Deuce, does that ring a bell to you? I don't know anything about HD's ...

EDIT, 2005 Deuce, I just smsed the guy.... 2005 Softail Deuce EFI FXSTDI to be precise lol

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Yes! That's what I was thinking it was; a Deuce. The dash plate was the givaway. The Deuce was a Softail and they didn't make them very long but it was quite popular. I remember wanting one really bad when they first came out.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Get the 500 mile service for a number of reasons and keeping the warranty in effect is one. Re-torquing is another. If you bought right, you got that included with the purchase of the bike.
Fuggedabout what owners of other brands tell you about maintenance. After all, they didn't have the smarts to buy a Victory.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my thread was confusing. I wasn't unsure of what my owners manual says, since I've read it, and it calls for an initial change at 500 miles. What I'm asking is are there any Victory models that cites a different mileage for the initial change. That's all. I was just curious since the fellow I talked with seemed very adamant that his owners manual said differently.

And by the way, doing your own oil change does NOT invalidate the warranty. I wish that myth would go away.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I seriously doubt there are any Victory's that recommend a different break in oil change than the 500 mile one. I just looked up the 2016 XC Owners manual and it said exactly what the 2015 said and the 2011 and on and on. All the same. You can look it up yourself. It's under "Maintenance".

Owners Manuals | Victory Motorcycles

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
There is a lot more to the 500 mile service than an oil change.
It is imperative that the belt tension is re-set, the header connections are re-torqued... there's a whole lot of checks etc in the service manual for the 1st service.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
It is imperative that the belt tension is re-set, the header connections are re-torqued... there's a whole lot of checks etc in the service manual for the 1st service.
True, I did the first service myself and did the whole list as per manual.... It's actually a lot to be done....

As a sample when I checked all the vics on the showroom floor the freeplay was no good on all clutch cable bikes from the factory.... Including my own bike...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm aware of that, and that's one of the reasons I started this thread since the owners manual is so highly specific (6mm +/- .5mm) regarding belt tension:
http://www.victoryforums.com/35-victory-general-discussion/194009-belt-deflection-spec.html
Are you running your belt "by the book"?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya right.
Your dealer will change engine oil, inspect all fluids and serviceable components, ensure that all fasteners are tightened and make other adjustments as needed.

Get a manual and do everything yourself. Never had trusted anyone with my bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
Add to this GOOD info of Bbob

If you don't ride that much, please change your engine oil every 12 months, moister gets in the oil so does the gears, etc..... It is cheap insurance

A buddy of mine just bought a 2009 DYNA HD ( for 20k USD ) and he asked my opinion, so the tires, brake fluid, are from 2009, the engine oils are from 2016.....

I adviced him to change the
1. Tires
2. All 3 engine oils
3. Brake fluid

And ride that sucker

Andre using TaPaTaLk
The gas tank and front forks along with the handlebars and oil tank are a Duce. The rest is all custom.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Ya right.
Your dealer will change engine oil, inspect all fluids and serviceable components, ensure that all fasteners are tightened and make other adjustments as needed.

Get a manual and do everything yourself. Never had trusted anyone with my bikes.
Me either. I know they cut as many corners as they can and don't go through all the checks they are supposed to so why let them do any of it? Just get in there, get to know the bike, change the oil, adjust the belt, and do the checks. It's a great way to start to get to know your new ride.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
First service at 500 is a good start, you would be surprised at some of the stuff that comes out of the engine on the break in, almost scary to pull the plug and run a magnet though it or pour it though some coffee filters.

My truck was a different matter, book called for the trans and diff fluids to be changed at 100K, I bought it with 28,000 on it and at 60,000 I changed it all, from the front diff to the rear diff, trans and transfer case. I swear the truck is quieter now and does not make any of the gear whines. I did also switch over to Mobil one gear oil too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya right.

Besides taking my check and helping me load the bike on the trailer, he didn't even check the tire pressure. Sure glad I didn't ride the bike home, but I did do a minor ride prior to checking both tires. And both had no more than 25 PSI. Yeah, I think I'll being doing the maintenance.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Do the 500 mile check yourself if you can and don't trust the dealer to do it or do it right. I took mine in for the 500 mile service and all they did was spray some wd-40 on the kick stand change the oil. I asked about everything else and they acted like it wasn't important and I was not going to push it because at that point I didn't trust them. About 30 mins on the way home on the interstate oil started coming out of the primary and going all over my leg. The idiot put 2 to 3 more quarts in that should've been there. I downloaded the service manual and did everything myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts