Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have a 2006 Vegas with the Victory -2.5" (2 1/2 inches to the rear) adapter brackets on the foot controls. The only issue is that this really limits cornering clearance. Bike is 2" wider across the foot control brackets and they drag before the foot-peg warning pins. It looks like a set of Vegas Low (or standard 2010 Vegas - same brackets) foot control brackets will bolt up to my frame without the adapter blocks. That will get back my cornering clearance. Before I spring for a set, does anyone know if the 2010 foot control brackets will work with 2006 Vegas shifter and brake bits?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevinx answered on another thread. The 2010 Vegas/Vegas Low foot control brackets should work with the 2006 shifter and brake linkage. May have to fabricate a shifter rod of the correct length or order the one for a 2010 Vegas. Gonna order a new set of brackets next week. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would like to do that as well i prefer a mid mound type as well ,2.5 would be better but would like to go more if i could someone have any more ideas on this links to suppliers or fabricater to do this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moving The Foot-pegs Closer

REVL,

I have ordered a set of foot-peg brackets from a 2010 Vegas. That should let me put the foot-pegs where I want them without the Victory -2.5 adapters. I you need the pegs moved back more than 2.5 inches, you should be able to use the 2010 Vegas foot-peg brackets along with the Victory peg adapters to get up to -5 inches.

The only issue I know of is that the shifter rod might need some threads added so you can shorten the shift linkage that much.

I will let everyone know how the 2010 Vegas brackets work. If I no longer have need of the -2.5 adapters, maybe we can work something out?

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
REVL,

I have ordered a set of foot-peg brackets from a 2010 Vegas. That should let me put the foot-pegs where I want them without the Victory -2.5 adapters. I you need the pegs moved back more than 2.5 inches, you should be able to use the 2010 Vegas foot-peg brackets along with the Victory peg adapters to get up to -5 inches.

The only issue I know of is that the shifter rod might need some threads added so you can shorten the shift linkage that much.

I will let everyone know how the 2010 Vegas brackets work. If I no longer have need of the -2.5 adapters, maybe we can work something out?

Mike

ok thanks let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2010 Vegas Foot-peg Brackets Work!

REVL,

I have installed the 2010 Vegas foot-peg brackets on my 06 Vegas and they work great. They are a direct bolt-on with the following exceptions:

1) We did have to adjust the brake lines a little bit to keep them clear of the exhaust system.

2) We added threads to the shifter linkage rod so we could shorten it to the appropriate length.

3) One additional bolt and washer are needed for the brake side bracket to connect up the brake pedal return spring.

If you are still looking, I have the adapter brackets that will move your foot controls/pegs 2.5 inches closer. This includes the bolts and washers that came with the brackets originally. They cost $250 (I think) new. I'm thinking maybe $50 plus shipping charges.

If you need more than 2.5 inches, you should be able to use the adapter brackets along with 2010 Vegas foot-peg brackets to get roughly 5 inches.

Let me know if you are interested.

VegasRider

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Vegas Rider, this is 'Vegas Lad' from Canada (aka John).

I noted from one of your earlier posts that you have repalced your pegs on your 06 Vegas. I would like to do the same. I have an 04 Vegas. I love the bike! My only complaint is the feet forward position. I just sold a Honda sport bike and a Buell street bike, and feel like I have less control when my feet are ahead of me!

Reach is not the problem, just the aspect of better control.

Questions; do you still have the 2.5 inches rearward set for sale? What mods would I need to make to fit these?

Did you say that the pegs from a 2010 Vegas bolt straight on to the bike? I'm quite handy with the wrenches - is it an easy swap? How much difference does it make to cornering? Do they scrape early?

Here's a pic of my current set up....

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update on Moving Vegas Controls Rearward

Vegas Lad,

It is not the actual foot pegs that are replaced, but the foot peg brackets. In my case (2006), I checked out a 2010 Vegas on the showroom floor and took some measurements/pictures. That told me that the mounting holes for the foot peg bracket to the frame were the same as my brackets and my existing shifter/brake linkages would work with the 2010 brackets.

Two changes were needed to make the new foot peg brackets work: 1) because the pivot point of the shifter is moved closer to the transmission, the rod that connects the shifter to the lever sticking out of the side cover needs to be shortened and have new threads added to replace the portion that is cut off. As an alternative, you could probably order a shift linkage rod from a 2010 Vegas at the same time that you order the foot pet brackets. 2) on the right side of the bike, the rear brake master cylinder will bolt right up to the new bracket. On the 2006, the brake pedal return spring is mounted under one of the bolts that holds the master cylinder. On the 2010 bracket, there is a separate bolt to retain the spring. You will want to order the spring retaining bolt at the time that you order the 2010 brackets.

I do not know for certain if the foot controls are the same on a 2004 and 2006 Vegas, but they must mount to the frame in the same manner since the -2.5 inch adapter brackets that I have are supposed to work on any year Vegas, at least according to the tech at the local Victory dealer.

My Vegas fits me perfectly now and I strongly recommend this mod to anyone that prefers a more rearward foot control position.

Yes, I still have the -2.5 inch adapter brackets and they are yours for $20, plus the cost of shipping. This includes all of the necessary hardware and is a little simpler than changing over to the 2010 foot peg brackets, but will still require shortening the shift linkage rod.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Also, yes, the 2010 foot peg brackets actually increase the cornering clearance compared to the stock 2006 foot peg bracket. That is the main reason that I went this route as the -2.5 inch adapters make the bike a little wider at the point where the peg brackets bolt onto the frame. This reduces cornering clearance slightly and I spend a lot of time in the north Georgia mountains riding in the twisties, so I wanted to get as much cornering clearance as possible.

I hope that this post is helpful!

Sincerely,
Vegas Rider

1 - 9 of 9 Posts