Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get a bit of insight into this job. I have procured a 2014 radio and display for my 2014 xc 8ball. It was a hell of a deal, and I really wanted to add this to the bike since I first threw a leg over it.
Yes, I have seen many posts about this topic, however with the loss of photobucket, there are no more images to help me find my way around under the fairing. I pm'd rrlaws, and a couple of others, but have not heard back. They are probably busy riding their bikes and listening to some great tunes along the way.

1. After removing the front of the fairing, do I need to remove the aluminum plate that all of the wires are intertwined in (I think there are like 4 bolts there, according to a witchdoctors video about fairing removal.)
2. Do I need to remove the front dash at all, or is everything accessible from withing the front fairing.
3. Which plugs do I use? I have the handle bar control for my ipod/amp setup (all stock).
a...which plug goes into the radio? on the RADIO, there is a large plug, and a slightly smaller plug (this one has a rubber cover over it.)
b. Where do I plug the white plug coming off of the display?
4. Has anyone used the witchdoctors hidden antenna thing? I really don't want an antenna sticking out of my bike somewhere if I don't have to. I have leather bags, so mounting one to those is not to my liking.

Thank you as usual.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I dont know for sure so dont shoot me. But most auto stereos if swapped from one car to another if an OEM you MAY have to have it "reset" with a factory scan tool to even work. It is an anti theft deal on cars. Not sure if Vic did that.
i have used a couple versions of "hidden" antennas and they worked on those bikes every bit as good as my lack luster reception on my XCT. This bike has terrible reception, and I have a in line booster. If something looks like its in the way of progress, chances are your going to have to move it. So your bike didnt come with a radio at all?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 8-ball does not come with radio, only amp/speakers/ipod jack. It also comes without the heated grips, heated seat, no trunk, cruise control, no lowers. It is blacked out, and very bare bones. Why did I get this model? Similar to rlaws, I like the black out look, and want to add some of my own pinstripe accents to it someday (ya, its been four years now and no stripes, lol). I also wanted the leather xr bags to add some traditional style to the modern lines. The final reason, was the price. I added the cruise and the bags before walking out the door. I also put some pull back bars on her to make it a bit more comfy on my back. Eventually I added a mustang seat and klockwerks windscreen too.

Regrading the computer reset stuff, from what I have been able to gather so far, the reset shouldn't be necessary.
I haven't actually removed the fairing yet, since I want to have everything ready to go so the bike isn't sitting idle too long. So I am not sure what it looks like in there. My only insight so far is from a few witchdoctors videos and the like.
Thanks for the help, and the info on the antenna. I may as well throw one in since I am pretty sure there won't be a whole lot of reception without something attached to it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I used an antenna like this on my 900 Vulcan I put a radio in. ITs from Autozone and around $20. It is flexible so you could make it lay up inside the fairing and not run cable anywhere. Or Autozone looks to have some short antennas that kind of look like a large bullet so not very tall if you wanted to mount it in the back where the XC has one if there is a mount bracket. I kind of knew the 8 Ball was a more blacked out less optioned out. I just figured if it had a fairing it had a radio. SO if you install the Vic radio will you have handlebar controls for it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You will need to remove the inner dash to put the display in. I recommend pulling the whole front aluminum part for the inner dash. I've never had luck remove/replace inner dash while on the bike. It's only 4 bolts and some wire unplugging. The radio will bolt right inside the aluminum part, kinda angled up and more passenger side. All the plugs should be there, just match plugs up

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I have no insight specific to an 8 Ball. But if you already have an amp, speakers and an iPod input, this may not be all that bad. The inner fairing most definitely has to come off to install the radio display. The hardest part of removing the inner fairing are the two small screws accessed from the front, behind the lower corners. The screw heads face toward the front of the bike and you may only be able to rotate them a quarter turn at a time. Whoever came up with that particular design element should be kicked hard in the shins (or elsewhere) on a daily basis. To make the inner fairing a bit easier to remove, you may very likely need to rotate your handlebars a bit. That's easily done by slightly loosening two of the four bolts (one on each side) and carefully adjusting them. Be sure not to release too much bolt pressure or the bars could come crashing down and hit the tank.

Remove the outer fairing first and you'll see most of what you need to see regarding how the inner and outer fairing attach and mate up to each other.

But you should not have to remove the entire fairing aluminum structure. At least I wouldn't unless it's proven that's the only way to install the radio under the fairing cover. There are simply way too many wires and connections that need to be taken apart to remove the main aluminum fairing structure.

I have no idea if the 8 Ball has the antenna wiring from the fairing radio location to under the rear fender by the rear of the right saddlebag. If so, it's a simple process to install a factory antenna (long or short). If your 8 Ball doesn't have the antenna wiring, adding one under the fairing should be fine.

These bikes are very easy to work on. Go slow, read the service manual, watch YouTube videos, ask more questions as you go and you should be fine. I actually can't remember the last time I used the radio on my CCT. I always use my iPhone as an iPod or use the iHeart Radio app. As has been posted, radio reception on these bikes leaves a bit to be desired. Then again, I live in an area with very little flat land so that's a consideration as well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
All I have Mark is flat land and they still suck. LOL Got to ride a couple hundred miles today on a lunch run to meet friends. Good day ride and got to run some Fla infused twisties.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hoping to get a bit of insight into this job. I have procured a 2014 radio and display for my 2014 xc 8ball. It was a hell of a deal, and I really wanted to add this to the bike since I first threw a leg over it.
Yes, I have seen many posts about this topic, however with the loss of photobucket, there are no more images to help me find my way around under the fairing. I pm'd rrlaws, and a couple of others, but have not heard back. They are probably busy riding their bikes and listening to some great tunes along the way.

1. After removing the front of the fairing, do I need to remove the aluminum plate that all of the wires are intertwined in (I think there are like 4 bolts there, according to a witchdoctors video about fairing removal.)
2. Do I need to remove the front dash at all, or is everything accessible from withing the front fairing.
3. Which plugs do I use? I have the handle bar control for my ipod/amp setup (all stock).
a...which plug goes into the radio? on the RADIO, there is a large plug, and a slightly smaller plug (this one has a rubber cover over it.)
b. Where do I plug the white plug coming off of the display?
4. Has anyone used the witchdoctors hidden antenna thing? I really don't want an antenna sticking out of my bike somewhere if I don't have to. I have leather bags, so mounting one to those is not to my liking.

Thank you as usual.
If you'll PM your email address to me I can send you the OEM instructions for replacing the inner fairing. That will give you all the info you need, including torque values, so you can get the display installed. I tried to upload it here but got an error: "Instructions - Inner Fairing Kit (2880807).pdf is too large. Max allowed: 20KB." The PDF is about 1.7 MB.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Smart move would be to pull front fender off

In case of a dropped tool? If so, a towel or a blanket works fine and saves work and time.

I've had my inner and outer fairing off multiple times and never once considered removing the front fender. About the only tool needed to remove the inner and outer fairing are two small Allen wrench's. One to remove the headlight assembly from the fairing after pulling the headlight ring. The other to remove the screws that hold the fairing together.

A third Allen wrench will be needed to slightly loosen the handlebar bolts when/if they need to rotated forward or back to help with removing the inner fairing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. I just got my witchdoctor's antenna in the mail, and the weekend is scheduled to be rainy and dismal. Perfect timing to do this job. I will certainly post some pictures - NOT with photobucket - in case someone else goes down this road.
Aeron

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the front of my bike apart more than a couple of times. Grab a towel from the bathroom and use painters tape to keep it in place to cover your front fender. When you are doing a deep dive into the fairing you will drop something and it always seems to find the fender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have parts all over the place....still need help with wiring.

Well I removed the inner and outer fairing/dash stuff. I used furniture mover blankets over the fender and the tank. Those two hex bolts/screws behind the forks are certainly a pain in the ass. Whomever decided to put those there should have a whole set of hex wrenches shoved up their &(&(#^@ !!!!

I plugged the display into the empty white plug that said "display." I removed the amp and plugged that big fat harness plug into my new radio module, and added my antenna. Turned on the bike, and the display came on, and started playing some lovely static from FM 94.5. Unfortunately, I could not control anything from my handlebar controls because I unplugged them from the amp.

Question one: who the hell put those screws behind the forks!
Question two: does the radio have an integrated amp? Or, am I supposed to leave the amp plugged in and somehow attach the radio to the amp? The radio module has only one antenna plug (done), and two harness plugs (one bigger than the other, and that one fits the harness plug from the amp quite nicely). The other harness plug on the radio has a nice rubber cover over it to keep things tidy clean and dry I suppose when it is not in use.
Question three: there are a variety of other small plugs with rubber caps on them, some without, that are not attached to anything, and they are not labeled. Am I supposed to somehow use one of those?

I have watched a series of witchdoctor videos, and all sorts of others related to removing the fairing and such, but nothing has shown me how to attach the wiring. Plenty of how to vids about installing aftermarket stuff, nothing about the oem stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got it done....I went back to rlaws thread and found that after disconnecting the handlebar controls from the oem amp, you need to reconnect it to a white plug that comes out of the speedo harness. Not really sure why that would be there and how it is attached to the rest of the system, but, it works!

step 1 remove outer fairing and inner fairing/dash
step 2 remove oem amp
step 3 install oem radio where the amp was at.
step 4 plug the harness that came off of the left side of the amp into the radio.
step 5 plug the handlebar controls into the little white plug that comes out of the speedo stuff.
step 5 place the display in the dash. No nuts or bolts, just two round pegs into two round holes.
step 6 remove the 'victory' logo plastic display cover from the inside fairing.
step 7 plug the display into the plug that says "display."
Step 8 turn the bike on and see if it all works. It should.
Step 9, figure out the antenna issue. I plugged the witchdoctors antenna into the radio, and shoved it up under the fairing.
Step 10. Put everything back where it belongs.
Step 11. Find that a-hole who put those two screws in behind the forks, and kick him in the nuts at least as many times as you cursed while trying to install these stupid screws.
Step 12. Ride on.

Hints:1. Look up the witchdoctors DIY videos about removing the fairing and dash.
2. Also look up the youtube videos by paul pomerleau. He has some great diy videos for work on a 2014 xc bike.
3. Make sure you get all of the hidden screws and such before yanking on any plastic parts. There are a few tricky ones that the videos will show their locations.
3.5 Before removing the inner fairing, remember to remove the two plugs on the cigarette lighter.
4. Read rlaws797 write up of the same job.

KIMG0384.jpg
This just shows the headlight assembly being removed.

KIMG0385.jpg
Those two screws on the top right...both need to be removed to remove the inner and outer fairing. The speaker covers pry off nicely with a Popsicle stick so you don't scratch them. 4mm hex, like all the others except for the headlight uses 5mm hex.

KIMG0388.jpg
This shows the connection for the handlebar controls, not clearly labled. Its the little white plug coming out of the harness...short pigtail on it.

KIMG0389.jpg
This shows the display plug...clearly labeled

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts