Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of the heat generated from my V-twin. Contemplating two options because I ride 90% of time two up and have recently decided to pull a small trailer behind the bike. The first is to add a SPAL 5.2 inch puller fan on my 2015 CCT. Puller fans apparently generate more air flow than the same size pusher fans. Second option is to add a second oil cooler in series (with the fan) because the Victory cooler looks tome too small for that size of engine. My 1200 cc BMW tourer is an air oiled cooled engine with this setup (two oil coolers) and it has never over heated on me in 68000 miles. Has anyone attempted the cooling fan mod on their Victory? I am interested in hearing your comments and views.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I rode home from Tombstone back to Phoenix in 119* weather packed for a weekend trip, 185 miles and the bike didn't overheat.

I've rode my 2015 Cross Country 60,000 miles in desert AZ heat and it's never over heated, never came close. Fifty miles daily round trip to work in stop and go to 80mph 115-118* weather.....never over heated.

My point is you're chasing something that doesn't exist. I think the mods you mention aren't needed. Polaris actually REDUCED the oil cooler size because the bikes weren't getting up to operating temperature.

Maybe BMW should look at Victory next time for building an air cooled motor ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Curious what trailer you're pulling.
I can tell you on my own personal observation a tuned bike runs cooler. It's enough to notice. A good 20+ degrees cooler according to the PVCX reading the bike sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode home from Tombstone back to Phoenix in 119* weather packed for a weekend trip, 185 miles and the bike didn't overheat.

I've rode my 2015 Cross Country 60,000 miles in desert AZ heat and it's never over heated, never came close. Fifty miles daily round trip to work in stop and go to 80mph 115-118* weather.....never over heated.

My point is you're chasing something that doesn't exist. I think the mods you mention aren't needed. Polaris actually REDUCED the oil cooler size because the bikes weren't getting up to operating temperature.

Maybe BMW should look at Victory next time for building an air cooled motor ;)
We get extreme temps and humidity in the Detroit area which makes it feel worst than dry AZ heat. My Vic has never over heated but I only wish it handled the heat like my boxer...lol. Watch for BMW 's R18 (1800 cc boxer) coming out in 2020. Thanks for chiming in this. Appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious what trailer you're pulling.
I can tell you on my own personal observation a tuned bike runs cooler. It's enough to notice. A good 20+ degrees cooler according to the PVCX reading the bike sensor.
I run a Denray 15 CFT' trailer (made in Quebec). The trailer pulls well, only draw back is 8 inch tires. Extra service is required to keep them from over heating. Gave my Vic more air so its not running so rich and a little cooler.

·
13,002 Posts
If you want it to run cooler get it tuned. The early vic's had a large oil cooler and vic found out the oil wouldn't get up to operating temp so they went to a smaller cooler. The best thing is stay out of rush hour traffic. You might want to check your oil temp before you go to all the work of a fan and another cooler. Keep in mind when they designed these bikes they had in mind guys would be pulling a trailer running in high temps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride a 2013 Vegas with an oil temperature thermometer dipstick. If I get stuck in summertime, bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic the oil temperature can go over 250° and I feel massive amounts of heat coming up at me. I installed a high volume 12V computer case fan behind the oil cooler with cable ties that pulls air and gets the bike running at least 20-30 degrees cooler. I control the fan with a handlebar switch. It's generally not needed when the ambient temperature is 75 or less or when not stuck in traffic but I'm grateful it's there when I am. The downside is it's not waterproof although it has never failed, yet. I noticed that it's easier to keep the bike from getting too hot than it is to cool it down.

I used to have an '03 Vegas with the smaller engine, larger oil cooler, and 6 quart capacity and I thought that ran hot until I got the '13 with less oil and a smaller cooler.

I'm not sure how to tell if the bike is actually overheating. How hot is too hot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want it to run cooler get it tuned. The early vic's had a large oil cooler and vic found out the oil wouldn't get up to operating temp so they went to a smaller cooler. The best thing is stay out of rush hour traffic. You might want to check your oil temp before you go to all the work of a fan and another cooler. Keep in mind when they designed these bikes they had in mind guys would be pulling a trailer running in high temps
That is good advise and I have to admit I have not taken the temp at operating temps on extremely hot days. Just going by the heat generated between my legs. I certainly will, but I have a couple of extra BMW oil coolers I was going to experiment with on the CCT. During the winter months is when I tear the bike down to address mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ride a 2013 Vegas with an oil temperature thermometer dipstick. If I get stuck in summertime, bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic the oil temperature can go over 250° and I feel massive amounts of heat coming up at me. I installed a high volume 12V computer case fan behind the oil cooler with cable ties that pulls air and gets the bike running at least 20-30 degrees cooler. I control the fan with a handlebar switch. It's generally not needed when the ambient temperature is 75 or less or when not stuck in traffic but I'm grateful it's there when I am. The downside is it's not waterproof although it has never failed, yet. I noticed that it's easier to keep the bike from getting too hot than it is to cool it down.

I used to have an '03 Vegas with the smaller engine, larger oil cooler, and 6 quart capacity and I thought that ran hot until I got the '13 with less oil and a smaller cooler.

I'm not sure how to tell if the bike is actually overheating. How hot is too hot?
Hi Gus that is exactly what I have in mind but using a Spal 5.2 puller fan. Trying to determine if I have the clearance or if I have to go down to a 4" fan. Spal 4" fan. Plan B would be to use a Spal pusher fan behind the rear jug. Can you send me picture of your setup or your wiring diagram. Thanks in advance. Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
The fan is 120mm square and 38mm thick which appears to be a good match to the size of the oil cooler on my bike. The fan blades are about 4.5 inches in diameter. It is mounted to the oil cooler with cable ties, e.i. no drilling or permanent mods. When the fan is not on, passive air flows well through the cooler. The fan gets fused power directly from the battery through a relay controlled by the kill switch. When the bike is shut down the fan turns off as well. The amp draw as you can see from the picture is 1.95A and puts out about 200CFM. My normal operating temperature in the summer with the fan on is about 200°- 210° and in traffic on a hot day is about 230°. I got the fan on Ebay for about $20 but I see now you can get then from about $15 to $20. It's been on the bike now for years with no issues. I am curious about the SPAL puller fan you mentioned. Do you have a link or model number? I may be interested if or when my fan gives up.

20191123_120506.jpg

Handlebar switch

·
13,002 Posts

stick your temp gauge in boiling water and with cooking thermometer compare. You'll find yours is way off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Gus that is exactly what I have in mind but using a Spal 5.2 puller fan. Trying to determine if I have the clearance or if I have to go down to a 4" fan. Spal 4" fan. Plan B would be to use a Spal pusher fan behind the rear jug. Can you send me picture of your setup or your wiring diagram. Thanks in advance. Nick
Please see my post with pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fan is 120mm square and 38mm thick which appears to be a good match to the size of the oil cooler on my bike. The fan blades are about 4.5 inches in diameter. It is mounted to the oil cooler with cable ties, e.i. no drilling or permanent mods. When the fan is not on, passive air flows well through the cooler. The fan gets fused power directly from the battery through a relay controlled by the kill switch. When the bike is shut down the fan turns off as well. The amp draw as you can see from the picture is 1.95A and puts out about 200CFM. My normal operating temperature in the summer with the fan on is about 200°- 210° and in traffic on a hot day is about 230°. I got the fan on Ebay for about $20 but I see now you can get then from about $15 to $20. It's been on the bike now for years with no issues. I am curious about the SPAL puller fan you mentioned. Do you have a link or model number? I may be interested if or when my fan gives up.

View attachment 250720
View attachment 250722

View attachment 250720

View attachment 250721

View attachment 250723
Handlebar switch
Gus; that is a very cool mod of thinking outside the box; great pictures to! Thanks for sharing this. "Great Minds" think alike lol.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Nicki

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sitting in city traffic does get warm. Much better after a tune but the heat is still there.
My commute is all stop and go traffic but I never see the bike overheat.
One of the things I don't like about my Honda is the radiator fan kicking on sitting at a stoplight and all that engine heat gets blown on me.
Vic doesn't do that.

I like the idea of a fan though so glad it works for you. I just don't see a need for it in my experience with my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sitting in city traffic does get warm. Much better after a tune but the heat is still there.
My commute is all stop and go traffic but I never see the bike overheat.
One of the things I don't like about my Honda is the radiator fan kicking on sitting at a stoplight and all that engine heat gets blown on me.
Vic doesn't do that.

I like the idea of a fan though so glad it works for you. I just don't see a need for it in my experience with my bike.
It's interesting that your experience and mine appear to be the exact opposite. When I ride my '02 Honda Shadow Spirit I never feel any heat. That's the bike I reach for when I ride on hot days or in traffic. It could be because it's much smaller and water cooled but even after a half hour of running I can still put my hand on the engine fins and not get burned. I think they're there just for show anyway. I can't say I ever noticed the radiator fan kick on.

My Vic probably needs a good tune but I don't know anyone around here to do it. It got a stage one from the dealer after the pipes were replaced and I put a Lloyds fuel controller on it later but beyond that I'm kinda stuck. Anybody know a good tuner near Staten Island?

Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Anybody know a good tuner near Staten Island?
Lloyd's is in NY state. Why not go there?

Yes I agree on the Honda can touch engine no problem the cooling works really well. VTX here not a Shadow and the fan only come on if I'm sitting long time. That is why I think you have a good idea with fan only when necessary. I don't see any harm in it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
On my 2011 XR I ran a computer fan, until the rain got to it. Then I went to the salvage yard and bought a used fan off of some bike, they had a pile of them. So the second fan lasted. I recently got rid of the bike. The way I wired my bike up with the key on in run position is I ran a relay to the fan. The relay ONLY turned on when I used either brake. Now that may sound good or bad depending on your thought. I liked the way it worked. When stopped at a light I usually have the front brake on, so the fan would kick on. Now it does not do much when the bike is moving true it comes on, but it does not hurt anything. So true the bike is not always hot, but in the desert of Arizona if stuck in traffic I do like some air movement through the oil cooler and back onto the engine. So I never did wire in a switch to turn it on all the time or off. I did have the bike get pretty hot on a main street up in Vegas, clutch gets pretty grabby, then after shutting it off I had tried to restart it, did not want to start until I opened the gas cap, after the Vegas trip I did install a fan. Now some may say why leave the fan on in when it is cooler, well I ride year round and the small amount of air(hot air) movement you can feel from the fan actually feels good when it is cold out and you are sitting at a light.Did I ever doing any temp checks, no, but it gave me a little piece of mind. I did feel it helped. ....New bike is water cooled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts