Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my Lowering kit From Witch doctor. I ordered it Late weds. Night and it arrived at the house saturday morning.

We watched the install video and then went outside and installed the Product. What a Simple easy install took about 25 mins total time.
After we finished I was shocked at how flat footed I was on the bike. This was a great install and I'm very excited about it.
Now just for warmer weather so I can ride.

I installed a lowering kit on my Yamaha stratoliner and I would rub Pipes on every corner.. So does this happen on the XC as well ?

Things to do yet.
Lay down plate holder.. 3-10-2014
1.5 lowering kit 3-22-201
heel shifter
iPod connector Purchased 3-6-2014
Klockworks windshield
Amp
Driver backrest..

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
This is one of my next things to do as well. I am probably going to order the adjustable lowering rod. Did you do anything with the kickstand?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not. I have it on my list of parts to order but the stock Kickstand seems to be okay.

I guess I should read some more of the forums and figure out if people are ordering these as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm thinking of lowering mine as well bit maybe only 1" I ride most of the time 2 up I lowered a Yamaha Venture once and the ride wasn't good 2 up so I'm somewhat leary to do this.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I did not. I have it on my list of parts to order but the stock Kickstand seems to be okay.

I guess I should read some more of the forums and figure out if people are ordering these as well.

From doing a search and reading multiple threads it's kinda 50/50, some haven't and reported no issues but some have. I just ordered the adjustable link so will be doing this mod next week when it arrives.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm thinking of lowering mine as well bit maybe only 1" I ride most of the time 2 up I lowered a Yamaha Venture once and the ride wasn't good 2 up so I'm somewhat leary to do this.
you can always put more air in the shock

From doing a search and reading multiple threads it's kinda 50/50, some haven't and reported no issues but some have. I just ordered the adjustable link so will be doing this mod next week when it arrives.
I just put the adjustable one on,yesterday

·
12,984 Posts
You'll find in a lot of places the bike will sit to straight up and down and with a good breeze or a semi going by the bike will tip over I grantee you this.

You should look under the rear fender for your taillight wires and make sure if you bottom out your tire will not him them. If you bottom out the tire will or might touch the bottom of the fender. Yes it will travel that far. If your a big guy make sure you add some stiffness to the shock

·
Registered
837 Posts
Installed the WD 1" kit on mine.I have the same kickstand and no problems to date with the bike tipping over, but I do watch how I park it. I did mine for looks and it does not scrub anything at 1".

Your belt may squeak-mine did-I am told this is the belt rubbing against the rib at the top back of the belt gaurd. I have since ground it down, but have not ridden it to see if that fixed it.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
When you put the lowering link in, check your belt tension, your squeek is more likely an overly tight belt. When you lower it the belt tightens up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belt

Yes we had to adjust my Belt tension once we put the kit on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes you may experience drag where you didn't before. If you are somewhat aggressive it will most likely happen.

Yes be sure to compensate for the reduced shock travel by adding more air in the shock. The weak point with this system is the top bolt through the ujoint, even though it is a hard steel bolt, i have personally known of three bikes XC's where it failed at this point, breaking the bolt.
When this happens the suspension drops, the rear wheel rubs the inside of the fender and the pipes drag with the slightest angle. Pretty scary.
The key point to keep in mind is not to bottom out the suspension if you can help it, as this puts too much pressure on the bolt. Keep an eye on it with an inspection every so often.

The kickstand will need to be replaced probably with anything lower than 1", YMMV.

I have a 1" on my XC and so far no troubles.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my dealer has done the lowering links so i asked him if you lose an inch of travel. he said it is more like a half inch with the 1 inch kit.
any observations on this? might also have to do with shock air
pressure. mine is kept at 45-50. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When you put the lowering link in, check your belt tension, your squeek is more likely an overly tight belt. When you lower it the belt tightens up.

LET ME START BY SAYING I AM NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT---BUT I NEED THIS EXPLAINED TO ME.

I have read and watched the install video--I can't find anything (not saying it is not out there--I can't find it) that says the belt needs to be readjusted. I do know the belt adjustment requires the bike to be off the ground. SOOOOOO, if the rear wheel is off the ground during adjustment, how does it know it is going to be sitting lower when you let it down??????? I can understand it needing readjustment if you do it while sitting on the ground at a lower angle. wac Just asking.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
It doesnt say it anywhere, but when i did mine it got extremely tight. as far as being in the air, you are taking away some travel(droop) so when you lift the bike, the rear tire will not hang down as far as stock. Hope this helps.

Also yes, the 1" lowering link is approx 1/2" shorter then the stock link.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
My adjustable link rod should be in later this week and I plan on installing this weekend. From watching the video and reading the threads that came up in the search function I didn't read anything about the belt tightening. Thanks for the heads up and I will watch for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts