Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I need some help. I was having issues with excessive popping and bike falling on its face. Brought into vic shop and they messed with mapping and still has issues, so they installed under warranty a lloydz advanced timing gear. I picked up bike and immediately noticed that the bike has a lot more pull, the popping has seemed to lessen and overall runs smoother. So wheres the problem??? Glad you asked! Im am getting an evident ticking type noise coming from the engine, very noticable at idle and under certain acceleration, that I dont recall being there before. Iz this a characteristic of this lloydz ATS kit or did they do something wrong. Other than a vic stage 1 trioval the bike is stock. Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Are you pinging? I would go with higher octane gas and see if that helps but most vics have a tick.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
If it's doing it at idle, it's probably a normal sound. I can almost guarantee you that the Vic Shop wouldn't let a bike out that had an issue. It's valve clatter, it's an overhead valve engine. The cams are up top, not like a Harley, and there is no water jacket like water-cooled bikes to absorb the sound. It's probably normal. You are probably hearing it more now because the engine is running better.

If in doubt, post a short video of what you are talking about and post it.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Take it back and ask them....:)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Surprised a dealer would go as far as to put a wheel in, I doubt the few around me would, hopefully they'll help you out...:)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Surprised a dealer would go as far as to put a wheel in
Not only that, they did it 'under warranty'! thumb up

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can almost guarantee you that the Vic Shop wouldn't let a bike out that had an issue.
I think he meant that he brought it to A Vic Shop, not THE Vic Shop! cheers

That being said the timing wheel should not cause any noise. What a lot of people don't realize though is that it will lean a bike out. That's why you hear a bunch of people raving about improved mileage after the install. So take a bike that is super lean to begin with, then lean it out another 1/2 a point....things can happen.......

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I think he meant that he brought it to A Vic Shop, not THE Vic Shop! cheers

That being said the timing wheel should not cause any noise. What a lot of people don't realize though is that it will lean a bike out. That's why you hear a bunch of people raving about improved mileage after the install. So take a bike that is super lean to begin with, then lean it out another 1/2 a point....things can happen.......
If in doubt, I can come listen. That would be a nice ride for me. :)

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
These engines have hydraulic lifters and the ticking sound could be them due to older oil that has lost enough viscosity and/or wrong oil weight. If it only does it at idle and not when traveling, I wouldn't worry about it, but if the oil is older, I'd change it.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Ok fellas, I need some help. I was having issues with excessive popping and bike falling on its face. Brought into vic shop and they messed with mapping and still has issues, so they installed under warranty a lloydz advanced timing gear. I picked up bike and immediately noticed that the bike has a lot more pull, the popping has seemed to lessen and overall runs smoother. So wheres the problem??? Glad you asked! Im am getting an evident ticking type noise coming from the engine, very noticable at idle and under certain acceleration, that I dont recall being there before. Iz this a characteristic of this lloydz ATS kit or did they do something wrong. Other than a vic stage 1 trioval the bike is stock. Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated.
So to clarify for us; what shop is doing the work?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yea what shop? I want them to install mods for me under warranty too:cool:.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry to post a question and then bail, had an issue last night and had to get off line. Anyways, it was done at A Victory shop in Griswold Ct, Advanced Powersports. It is really noticeable at idle, Ive taken a video for you to listen and get your opinions. As far as oil, the oil was changed 4 days ago, by that same victory dealership. have a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

well not having luck uploading a video, ill keep tring

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Listened to your video, and from what I heard, it sounds like mine....wac
Whats your bike, maybe I missed it,still working on coffee...:crzy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kinda of to hear on that video, I gonna post another that you can hear it better on. Gimme 5 mins

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Alright, standing by....thumb up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its a 2013 Victory CCT, stock except for a Satge 1 tri oval with the vic air filter and mapping. Now has the LLoydz ATs kit. It could be nothing, I just don't remember hearing that prior to the ATS installed. Also when I 1st started the bike after the ATS was installed, I didn't hear that, it was only after riding for 20 miles or so that I started hearing it, almost like something loosened up in there

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Sounds pretty normal, if mine sits for a couple of weeks, ill get the ticking sound, ushally goes away in a few seconds, every once in a while ill here a slight knocking sound, { not pinging } on cold start up , if I raise the idle about 200 rpms it goes away, then comes back when it idles back down to 1200 or so until warm, hot engine no knocking sound, seems like these motors sound very mechanical, just the way it is...:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts