Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered and installed a new face plate in my speedo. I had him take out the Km/h and other crap. wanted to clean it up a little..

.got it from..

http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Images/Speedo/index.htm

Here is a couple pics..One of the speedo and one of the bike so you can see the method to my madness..The theme is black widow...tribal web on tank and fenders..I followed that with the black insert for the speedo to pull it all together..Night time it is awsome..

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Nice! How's the quality of the face plate (fit/finish)?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! How's the quality of the face plate (fit/finish)?
The fit was absolute..

The finish is nice. He worked with me via email and adjusted it to whtaever I wanted and was very patient with me..I believe its made from lexan which is top notch..He infact made me 2 for the price of one. I didnt even know it..He sent them both to me and I got to pick out the best.. I think his first one was a little less than red where it was suppose to be red. The one I put in was perfect..

Kinda a bitch to put in BUT if your mech inclined and have patients its very do-able..

The pic doesnt do it justice..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ordered and installed a new face plate in my speedo. I had him take out the Km/h and other crap. wanted to clean it up a little..

.got it from..

http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Images/Speedo/index.htm

Here is a couple pics..One of the speedo and one of the bike so you can see the method to my madness..The theme is black widow...tribal web on tank and fenders..I followed that with the black insert for the speedo to pull it all together..Night time it is awsome..

Hoss,

I had found that same company online that you used and want to get my speedo face done to coordinate with a Derby and Cam cover work I am doing. I am going to submit my own image so want to give a lot of thought to the image I send them if color makes a huge difference to visibility for night vision. I am curious how it lights up on yours (BTW, I cannot see your two pictures, says they have been removed, darn! I would have liked to see it actually on a bike). I will only have a partial kmh line, cutting out some of the lettering and line and relying mostly on the picture for my speedage points. Does it light up real nice? I don't suppose you could send me a picture of yours mounted on the bike? Really curious about the look.........

[email protected]

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can't see the pics! Sounds awesome though.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here ya go sorry about the deleted ones..night time it shines great. My buddy did his and I dont know why but he changed the letters to black but he did and it was a disaster for him.. and the day time its cool. but you cant see them at all at night..so when you design it think light shineing thru the back of it and what it may look like..mines bad ass if you want later i will get you a night pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
That looks sick!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Night pics pleeeease! Lovin it man.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont remember how much it was but im sure its on his site..

just took these for you and they are not that good but---here is 2 pics the dark one is what its more like at night but the bottom is lite up as well.. the over exsposed one might give you an ideal.hope that helps I suck at night pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dude, so sick!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont remember how much it was but im sure its on his site..

just took these for you and they are not that good but---here is 2 pics the dark one is what its more like at night but the bottom is lite up as well.. the over exsposed one might give you an ideal.hope that helps I suck at night pics..
OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT!

That is so cool once you see the night shots! None of the websites have that, only the shots of the faces as they are sold. They should show some of the faces lit up, what a selling feature it is. Wow! What a difference this is going to make for my image selection. Back to Deviant Art I will go, now that I can see which parts light up more, and how. I also see I might have to rethink not having all of the kmh's in there, depending on my picture.

Thanx so much for doing that, Hoss....that helped tons for narrowing down my choices!

·
Registered
368 Posts
How do you get to the face? On my other bike, it was a few screws and the housing was apart, pry off the speedo needle with a fork, loosen the two faceplate screws, swap the plate, then reverse the process. Being extra careful on putting the needle back on the stem.
Wouldn't be interested if we have to un-crimp the bezel or something to get the glass out and access the plate. Don't want a sweaty speedo like the Harley had.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments folks...yes my idiot lights are on the triple tree..

Ok the install is not so easy.I will tell you that I am a tech by trade so I was willing to tackle it.There are some things that could go wrong so if attempted go slow and be careful.
You start by removing speedo of course. Get a tool that is small kind of sharp but strong on the end I used a pocket screw driver kind of ground down a bit. Go around the edge that is rolled over and pry under and out gently and all so slowly. This is where a little at a time is necessary. If you have to go around the speedo 3 or 4 times that’s good, you don’t bend and distort the metal that has been factory pressed and rolled around the speedo head.You will see as you go what you are trying to do as the edge starts to pull away and come out and away from the speedo head. Once you have that rolled edge out enough the speedo face and glass will come off. Set it to the side.
Now you have access to the face plate. I used a fork and gently pried the needle of the stem it came off with no problem. I removed the 2 screws and the face plate came off..I gently with mini needle nose pliers removed the stop for this will go back in the new face plate.
Install needle stop in new face plate and on the back side I put a very small dab of super glue for insurance that the stop would stay do to me moving it once already..
I change the color of my retaining screws..I painted them black. Now is the time to do that and let then dry so they won’t bleed onto your new face plate..After they were dry I installed new face plate and put the 2 screws back in.
Now is the time to stab your needle back on the stem. I plugged in everything and turned the key on so that the speedo would zero itself on the stop.I then pushed very gently the needle back on. I put the cover back on (BUT DID NOT ROLL THE EDGE DOWN YET) I took it for a drive and compared my speed to a hand help gps that I have I got lucky the first time and it was right on. If off remove cover pull off needle and try again..retest before rolling edge down.
After returing to the shop I removed speedo and started the process of rolling the edge back down..Get a pair of channel locks and tape the edges top and bottom of jaws with duct tape so not to scar metal. Began gently rolling the edge down and around the speedo head the same way it came off. Again it will be easy to see how it wants to go back home, go slow and it will look fine..
If all this seems too much to tackle (no worries) the guy I got the face plate from offered to do mine at no cost if I shipped it to him…hope this helps…OH for what its worth I do not ever have a humidity problem in my face plate...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts