Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all. I'm hoping that youn's can help me with what may or may not be a problem.
I just purchased a used trunk for my 2010 xc. I knew that I needed an uplift kit (or so I thought), so I had already ordered it so that I could install it when I was ready. When I brought the trunk home, I compared the trunk mount to the passenger backrest that I already had, they looked identical, so out of curiosity, I tried to put the trunk on before I installed the uplift kit. To my surprise, it fit right into place. I got to thinking... Maybe the original owner already installed the uplift kit. Another possibility: my bike was an insurance reclamation project. A lot of the body was redone by a Victory dealer, so possibly they used newer parts on my bike that made the uplift kit unnecessary.

Those of you who have used the uplift kit - would you have been able to put the trunk on without it?

The trunk fits perfectly, and the quick detach locks snapped right into place. I'm not sure what the purpose of the uplift kit is, but if it mine works fine without it, I'm not going to use it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If the last owner had a backrest installed then the bushings would have been installed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Chris. Thanks for the info, although that's led to another question. Bushings? Is this what the uplift kit is? Below is a pic - its what was sent to me when I ordered the uplift kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
That's the one. I had to get one for my 10' XC. The frame as it comes from the factory isn't strong enough, so they came out with the one in the pic you posted to properly support the trunk/passenger weight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toejam - thanks for the info. Did this replace an existing part on your bike, or is it an additional part? My bike already has a part on there that looks like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nevermind - I found an exploded view, and I see its an existing part. I also see the part number changed from the 2010 to the 2011. I was under the impression that the part was needed to make the trunk fit correctly. I didn't realize it was a structural issue. I ride 2-up a lot, so I'll play it safe and install the part. I appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have a 2011. When I purchased my trunk all I needed to do was install a bushing kit that accepted my trunk and passenger backrest. Never an issue with either one being snug or having fitment issues. Is this uplift kit something new that was introduced after the backrest recall ? If so.... do I need it now?....I would have thought a notice from the mother ship would have been sent out to those that have XC's........:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2010 is the only year that specifies the uplift kit. 2011 and on is okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts