Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a set of skid plates like they use on the police bikes from AZ Victory in Tucson. Super easy to install took less than 30 minutes and that included cleaning up my tools. Tim was nice enough to make me a pattern which helped. If you order through the mail I'm not sure what you'd get.

The BIG PROBLEM is that I can't find anyone who is making skid plates to protect the tubular crash bars and the saddle bag guards which also hit the ground if your doing those tight u-turns or just drop the bike.
NO ONE wants to damage their bike and almost everyone fears dropping it so why hasn't anyone designed and built skid plates for the entire bike. I think it would be a big seller and another selling point if Polaris added them to all new bikes. They make a big deal about the ones on the Vision but for some reason never made them for the CC or CCT.

I have attached some drawings in hopes that there is someone out there in the forum who is a fabricator and will take this idea and run with it. Of course, I'd like the first set...)

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not enough room to add the pictures of the drawings.

I'm hoping someone can makes these or something like them out of heavy duty pipe. I think it could be chrome or matt black and look good. As long as they are reasonably prices, easy to install and replaceable.

The saddle bag skid would be mounted with bolts so it would require some drilling in the chrome saddle bag mounting plate. Or maybe something could be designed to clamp over and around the bag bars secured by nuts and bolts.

I know there's someone out there that can do this with out much trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
It all boils down to money really.... I dont know what you paid for those 'skid bars' but probably close to $100 for the pair with shipping?

Its too bad they try to make so much money off these things, with water jetting and CNC machining these parts literally FLY off the machine in production, yet they want so much $$$ for them. I get that R&D is expensive but once its made.... its done! Lower the price and sell sell sell.... Same thing for any bling part out of billet aluminum... once its designed and ran once, its all easy money from there on out.

Thats why China makes so much off these types of things... they are not so proud of their 'design time'... They believe MORE sold (vs. more on the shelf) = more profit...

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I'm with you on that I wanted the bag guards and board sliders but just can't get off the money they want. I have met Mike and he seems like a nice guy but I can't spend that kind of money wac

·
Registered
545 Posts
The crash bar guards should be easy enough to make if you have a welder or machine shop close. Since I haven't really looked at the bags on a x bike I can't say about that. I'll take a look next sales floor I hit. Just my 1/2 cent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts