Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm putting the VFCIII on my Vegas 8 ball 2014 on sunday and I could use some advice.

My mechanical wherewithal is at exhaust installation and removal so far.

The only thing that makes me anxious about the VFC install is the removal of the tank. I've never removed a tank before so any steps, tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is no problem. Just go slow. The only issue with the tank is squeezing the fuel line connector to get it off the tank nipple. There are two sides that have to be squeezed in to allow you to remove the line from the nipple. If you are forcing it then you have not squeezed it correctly. Do not force anything. When you are pulling the tank there are two vacuum lines that you just pull them apart. All is good. On installing the VFC I had a problem getting the injector to seat on the back cylinder. The problem was that it only will seat when it is not twisted. I hope I am explaining this correctly. The injectors will press down when they are exactly in the correct position. Again do not force them. Just move the injector a little right or left and it will seat with a click sound. Anyway take your time go slow and do not force anything and all will work well. Best

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I will add to the above that if you disconnect the fuel line connector behind the rhs cheesewedge first it will give you more room to lift the rear of the tank and gain access to the fragile connector on the bottom of the tank.
I just R and R'd my tank early this morning so its all fresh in my mind.
its lot easier with an almost empty tank too...mine was full when I did it very late last night....I actually left it connected at the base of the tank until I had the tank right off and resting securely on a panel stand.
Then I removed it.
on refitting I placed the fuel pipe where it sits the fitted the front of the tank, supporting the rear then with one hand I carefully clicked the undertank connector back into place...dont forget the fuel gauge connector too, then with tank sitting flat I reconnect behind the cheesewedge.
dont rush it and remember to Breathe:)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
started my bike up at lunchtime to head out for a ride,
it ran real rough and dumped a lot of fuel over the engine as it stopped.
Suspected broken nipple under tank where connector goes:(
Luckily it was just a bad connection, hadnt been pushed on quite hard enough....bike had run earlier before tank was bolted in place fully.
seems the fuel line mustve dislodged itself as the tank was bolted down...made a dangerous mess!
Rectified the problem and went for a good ride:)
so watch those fittings go back on properly

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You need to hear a pronounced SNAP to know for sure the line is properly connected , with no snap , goes much fuel on your motor , Ask me how I know .:D Also MBX is correct , it makes it easier to remove if you disconnect also behind the cheese wedge at the fuel rail .thumb up

·
Registered
640 Posts
what keeps the fuel from spilling allover when you disconnect the line?Is there a valve to shut off or somethig. Im gettin ready to take mine off to run the cable for my usb charger..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
it only leaks out a little bit, shove a rag in under the connection when you disconnect.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed my EJK controller (same thing) without removing my tank and disconnecting my lines. I had a full tank and didn't wanna mess with it, nor did I have patience to run it empty lol. I made it work though, so it IS possible. cheers

·
Registered
580 Posts
The hardest part (if you have a stock airbox) will be the front injector plug. Getting it off is not too bad- putting it on ...well that is a different story. I made a hook out of a coat hanger to coax it into place and then some long needle nose to assist in getting it lined up and locked in. Be sure to re-seat the little red tabs.

m

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Here's the installation video from Witchdoctor's ...

http://buywitchdoctors.com/articles/73/victory-motorcycle-parts-install-lloyds-fuel-tuner-cross-country-sc-598/

You do NOT have to remove the fuel line from the tank ... only from the connection behind the cheese wedge.

Make sure your tank is close to empty to make it easier to lift and remove.

Those rubber "cushions" where the tank is bolted on ... be careful with the one on the right inside as it has a tendency to dislodge and fall down in a hole in the frame and is a PITA to get back out (I wonder how I know that? LOL)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hardest part (if you have a stock airbox) will be the front injector plug. Getting it off is not too bad- putting it on ...well that is a different story. I made a hook out of a coat hanger to coax it into place and then some long needle nose to assist in getting it lined up and locked in. Be sure to re-seat the little red tabs
^ This lol. That's the key, plus beer, and patience.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Here's the installation video from Witchdoctor's ...

http://buywitchdoctors.com/articles/73/victory-motorcycle-parts-install-lloyds-fuel-tuner-cross-country-sc-598/

You do NOT have to remove the fuel line from the tank ... only from the connection behind the cheese wedge.

Make sure your tank is close to empty to make it easier to lift and remove.

Those rubber "cushions" where the tank is bolted on ... be careful with the one on the right inside as it has a tendency to dislodge and fall down in a hole in the frame and is a PITA to get back out (I wonder how I know that? LOL)
Good Luck getting the tank back on with it still connected underneath

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good Luck getting the tank back on with it still connected underneath
Assuming you're referring to the fuel line...

I've had my tank off 4 times and have never disconnected the fuel line under the tank, only from behind the cheese wedge.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Assuming you're referring to the fuel line...

I've had my tank off 4 times and have never disconnected the fuel line under the tank, only from behind the cheese wedge.[/QUOTE

Stifles the urge to reply:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yes just undo it behind the wedge, the one at the rear of the tank is the one people break off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had no problem removing and replacing the tank using only the connector behind the wedge.

m
Maybe it's different for Motorbikerx's bike since it's a pre-2011 ???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts