Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing my belt this weekend. Anyone know if I need to take the exhaust off? I don't see how you take the guard off the front pulley without removing the pipe.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You can even remove the rear wheel w/o removing the pipes. Its in your manual. If you don't have a manual, goto the link in Bbob's signature and download one for your bike.
Just curious--Why do you need to change your belt? Over 70K miles? Damage? If not there's no need to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up a stone and put a nasty gash in it! Just ordered a new one from Paulie! Looked at removing the old one last night and couldnt seem to figure out how to get it off!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also just checked the manual from Bbob. Step 4 - Remove cross over pipe. Step 5 - Remove head pipe flange nuts!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Go to the instructions for wheel removal in your manual. Do not touch the rear belt adjusters. Remove the cover that's over the front pulley. Placing the belt should be obvious, but I'm saying more than I know cos I have yet to do this operation. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I agree with epson... and believe the exhaust needs to be removed to pull the pulley cover and remove/replace the belt.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
The exhaust has to come off. I discovered that when I blew the seal behind the pulley.

Piece of advice you can choose to take or not, up to you:

When you reassemble the exhaust use silver anti-seize when you reassemble the exhaust system anywhere there's a junction. It'll make it easier the next time. You'll understand the wisdom of this advice when you go to take it apart....heat and a pair of thick gloves is your friend...a heat gun would be perfect to heat the junctions to allow you to slide the pipes out if they've been on a while. That and a dictionary of swear words....:devil:grin

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have that dictionary.
Gets a lot of use

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Definitely get new header pipe gaskets and not OEM ones. Get the ones Lloydz and Witchdoctors sells. They are more compliant.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Here's a list of alternate exhaust gaskets that will work:
Exhaust gaskets that will work, just in case yo don't want to pay the dealer price or they don't have them in stock:
Fel Pro 60569
Napa/Victor F12329 or F7283
Walker 31396
Maremont G184
Marwill G647B
Midas EN1837(new # is 521817)
Imco 124647
NEA EX935

I started a file when I bought my Victory. Thought I might need that info someday.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The exhaust has to come off. I discovered that when I blew the seal behind the pulley.

Piece of advice you can choose to take or not, up to you:

When you reassemble the exhaust use silver anti-seize when you reassemble the exhaust system anywhere there's a junction. It'll make it easier the next time. You'll understand the wisdom of this advice when you go to take it apart....heat and a pair of thick gloves is your friend...a heat gun would be perfect to heat the junctions to allow you to slide the pipes out if they've been on a while. That and a dictionary of swear words....:devil:grin
You blew a seal?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It was just ice cream...I swear!!!!:grin

That's an old joke :laugh
That's the one I was thinking about (I'm an old guy).:laugh

·
Registered
302 Posts
That was the first thing I thought of when I read your earlier post. You didn't let me down. ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts