Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
13,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if insurance company would deny a stolen bike came because there was no way to lock the bike

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wife's '08 Vegas Low was stolen a year ago. They asked if it had any anti-theft. I told them no, and it didn't even come with a steering lock, as Victory doesn't equip their motorcycles with them.

They paid.

So, in answer to your question VJ, no, they would not deny a stolen bike because it lacked a locking device.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Wife's '08 Vegas Low was stolen a year ago. They asked if it had any anti-theft. I told them no, and it didn't even come with a steering lock, as Victory doesn't equip their motorcycles with them.

They paid.

So, in answer to your question VJ, no, they would not deny a stolen bike because it lacked a locking device.
Agreed. That said, you might find your insurance cost would be lower if the bike had an anti-theft device on it. I don't know if a factory installed steering lock is considered and anti-theft device.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is no such thing as an anti theft device.

You can purchase "slightly more difficult to steal quickly" units though. ;)

If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.

Make it hard on them and they'll usually wreck it and move on. Been there.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts

Mike

You are 100% correct... Which pisses me off even more than them just stealing the damn thing.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

Mike

haha when i was a kid we would go to the store, dad would leave the keys in the car, doors unlocked, windows down if weather permitted, he figured if they want it they can have it, if he locked it they would just break in, then if it was recovered he would have to fix it! i miss those days!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
haha when i was a kid we would go to the store, dad would leave the keys in the car, doors unlocked, windows down if weather permitted, he figured if they want it they can have it, if he locked it they would just break in, then if it was recovered he would have to fix it! i miss those days!
I'm pretty cavalier about locking car doors, as my logic on the subject agrees with your dad's. Ironic, since my family lived in San Diego when I was a boy in the 1980s and Ma was all about locking everything up. We didn't walk to school, even though it was only a half-mile away. We weren't allowed to play outside after dark.

She loosened up when we moved to Idaho in 1991. The town I spent the rest of my childhood and early adulthood in had a population of 1200. A siren on the water tower still goes off at noon and 10 PM. Back then the 10 PM siren meant it was time to come inside. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a childhood spent completely off my parents' radar during the long Idaho summer days. Shame kids can't do that sort of stuff anymore.

·
13,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had my only bike stolen it was heart breaking and I was a mile from my house.
First think the Cop ask was it locked. Was it repoed. Yes No
Called insurance the next day and first thing she ask was it locked. Yes
She said you'll hear from clams office in a day or two. They sent me a form asking about the bike. I listed every chrome bolt wheel exhaust grips heated jacket everything. They told me if I had a helmet they would give me upto $500 bucks for it. Claims office said they would get back to me in 30 days. Sure enough 31 days I get a call and they said the checks on its way. Every time they called they asked was the bike locked. Yes. So I had a check in two days.
Funny part I found the parts on craigslist four months later. I turned them into cops and all the kids got was a slap on the hand. They said jails were to full to bother with bike thieves.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was fortunate enough to enjoy a childhood spent completely off my parents' radar during the long Idaho summer days. Shame kids can't do that sort of stuff anymore.

Who says they can't? Just move too Alaska lol

Iceball, cruising the Alaskan Frontier mile by mile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts