Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in a XC. I've had my Honda VTX1300 for about 5 years. I really don't see myself on a Goldwing, although it is a great bike. My question is regarding do-it-yourself maintenance on the XC. I have 50,000 miles on my VTX and have never had it in the shop. Could I expect the same of a XC?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am really interested in a XC. I've had my Honda VTX1300 for about 5 years. I really don't see myself on a Goldwing, although it is a great bike. My question is regarding do-it-yourself maintenance on the XC. I have 50,000 miles on my VTX and have never had it in the shop. Could I expect the same of a XC?
These are VERY reliable. You can probably count on not having to do anything to your bike other than changing oil every 5K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are VERY reliable. You can probably count on not having to do anything to your bike other than changing oil every 5K miles.
Thanks. I'm notoriously cheap and have really enjoyed doing my own work on the VTX. I would like to continue to do the work on my next bike, hopefully the XC.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks. I'm notoriously cheap and have really enjoyed doing my own work on the VTX. I would like to continue to do the work on my next bike, hopefully the XC.
I'm a do-it-myself guy as well. I hate taking anything to the stealer unless its warranty repair. Even then I get hives.

I don't see any normal maintenance on the XC that requires the dealer. Oil change is pretty easy, belt adjustment is the same as any belt drive. I did go buy a tension gauge for it on eBay. Valves are hydraulic adjusted, so no maintenance there. Air filter looks like a PITA to change compared to others, but still not terrible. After that its just brakes and tires. I bought a manual tire changer a few years back and it paid for itself quickly.

Unless you have to communicate or update the computer----I see no reason for the dealer to touch my bike. You should be in good shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was a totally non-wrench when I first bought my Honda. I've had the privilege of using a great forum to teach me through my years with the bike how to work on things and really enjoyed learning. From what I've seen here, folks are helpful and I would have the same experience.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Be advised, the Vic oil change kits run $60-$70 a pop; and I DO advise using it through the warranty period.

I'd also recommend requiring the dealer to "throw-in" the Vic service manual; it's the way to do-it-right-yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be advised, the Vic oil change kits run $60-$70 a pop; and I DO advise using it through the warranty period.

I'd also recommend requiring the dealer to "throw-in" the Vic service manual; it's the way to do-it-right-yourself.
Good advice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
I'm a do-it-myself guy as well. I hate taking anything to the stealer unless its warranty repair. Even then I get hives.

I don't see any normal maintenance on the XC that requires the dealer. Oil change is pretty easy, belt adjustment is the same as any belt drive. I did go buy a tension gauge for it on eBay. Valves are hydraulic adjusted, so no maintenance there. Air filter looks like a PITA to change compared to others, but still not terrible. After that its just brakes and tires. I bought a manual tire changer a few years back and it paid for itself quickly.

Unless you have to communicate or update the computer----I see no reason for the dealer to touch my bike. You should be in good shape.
What he said x10!

·
Registered
69 Posts

That sounds a little high to me. I bought 3 kits when I bought the bike for around $140.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts