Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member signing in.

I do not own a Victory but I am intrigued and wanted to gather some feedback from potential owners. Currently own a 2010 R6 and considering trading it in for a Judge. Also own a 78 CB550 that I tinker around with when I have free time.

From NJ and spend most of my time up near Manhattan but do the majority of my riding down the shore area.

Cheers! cheers

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Hey guys, new member signing in.

I do not own a Victory but I am intrigued and wanted to gather some feedback from potential owners. Currently own a 2010 R6 and considering trading it in for a Judge. Also own a 78 CB550 that I tinker around with when I have free time.

From NJ and spend most of my time up near Manhattan but do the majority of my riding down the shore area.

Cheers! cheers
Welcome to the forum. cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
cheers Welcome great site lots of info I have had a lot of bikes over the years And my KP is by far my favorite

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whats up, 12-fiddy-1! Welcome to the site!

I came to Victory from a sport bike as well. Well, I still have the sport bike too - 2010 Kawasaki Z1000. While I love my Z, the Victory is a different beast. Absolutely love riding it, and it handles incredibly well for a big cruiser. Its no sport bike...but it handles really well and inspires confidence Ive not felt on a cruiser before (had a Honda Shadow 600 and 1100...neither compared to the Victory!)

Now, I commute on a bike - and I will admit that commuting in Bay Area traffic on the Victory is not any fun - too wide for my tastes. So, the sport bike is the commute mule, the Victory is my weekend blaster. And, every once in a while I need to blow off some steam, so the sport bike gets to stretch its legs on the weekends...

If I could only own ONE bike..... It would honestly be a very difficult decision. But, I think it would end up being the Victory.

I dont think you will be disappointed

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I do not own a Victory but I am intrigued and wanted to gather some feedback from potential owners. Currently own a 2010 R6 and considering trading it in for a Judge.
That's a big change. What is it you do with a MC? The Judge won't be near as good a track bike and won't wheelie as well either.

The Judge is a continuation of the Victory saga of replacing functional parts with cheaper parts in a fashionable package.

Personally, I find the seat too scooped out, the bars too narrow, and the suspension lackluster. You will also likely be stuck with one brand of high priced tires to choose from when it's time for new shoes. The Judge, being a Victory "cruiser" is spunkier than the touring bikes.

I think the red one is purdy, but the touring bikes are superior in every way except the power off the line. Compared to your R6, all Victories will feel slow. To me, the small bit you'd gain in performance is not worth all the other trade-offs, but if you're a stop light to stop light kinda guy who doesn't put a lot of miles on bikes and ya like the look, it may be a great bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats up, 12-fiddy-1! Welcome to the site!

I came to Victory from a sport bike as well. Well, I still have the sport bike too - 2010 Kawasaki Z1000. While I love my Z, the Victory is a different beast. Absolutely love riding it, and it handles incredibly well for a big cruiser. Its no sport bike...but it handles really well and inspires confidence Ive not felt on a cruiser before (had a Honda Shadow 600 and 1100...neither compared to the Victory!)

Now, I commute on a bike - and I will admit that commuting in Bay Area traffic on the Victory is not any fun - too wide for my tastes. So, the sport bike is the commute mule, the Victory is my weekend blaster. And, every once in a while I need to blow off some steam, so the sport bike gets to stretch its legs on the weekends...

If I could only own ONE bike..... It would honestly be a very difficult decision. But, I think it would end up being the Victory.

I dont think you will be disappointed
Thanks so-crates!

Appreciate the honest feedback. I don't use my bike to regularly commute so I don't think I am planning to keep the sportbike. Living up in North Jersey and commuting to NYC for work I stick to mass transit for the most part. My riding is mostly seasonal, weekend pleasure riding.

Considering that and the fact that our garage has limited space available and we already manage to pack 5 bikes in there, has led to my decision to most likely trade in the R6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a big change. What is it you do with a MC? The Judge won't be near as good a track bike and won't wheelie as well either.

The Judge is a continuation of the Victory saga of replacing functional parts with cheaper parts in a fashionable package.

Personally, I find the seat too scooped out, the bars too narrow, and the suspension lackluster. You will also likely be stuck with one brand of high priced tires to choose from when it's time for new shoes. The Judge, being a Victory "cruiser" is spunkier than the touring bikes.

I think the red one is purdy, but the touring bikes are superior in every way except the power off the line. Compared to your R6, all Victories will feel slow. To me, the small bit you'd gain in performance is not worth all the other trade-offs, but if you're a stop light to stop light kinda guy who doesn't put a lot of miles on bikes and ya like the look, it may be a great bike.
Hey saddlebag, thanks for your feedback as well.

I have had the sportbike a few years now, and typically when I ride it is pleasure riding on weekends with my father and his buddies on weekends. They all ride cruisers from various brands and I can say for sure they are all more comfortable than my 600, no surprise there. By the end of our trips my legs and wrists are usually in some fair amount of pain, but I can handle it. While I do enjoy the occasional power of the 600, I have never taken it to the track or really pushed it to the max, so the loss in speed shouldn't be a huge issue. I have ridden all the other cruiser's my father's buddies ride and I am okay with their pace. thumb up

Typically our rides will be around countryside part of the state, into PA sometimes, 2-4 hour trips so I am not looking for a big touring bike, just something to comfortably cruise around on weekends during riding season.

I liked the look of the Judge, and thought that possibly I could maintain some of the 'sporty-ness' of my next bike while still enjoying the comfort of the cruiser if you catch my drift.

I have read a lot of comments out there that the seating position is not the most comfortable and I think the best thing to do will be for me to simply head on down to a victory dealer and sit on one and see how it feels. I will also sit on some other models while I am there just to get a comparison, who knows maybe I will like another model a lot more.

What I do know is I am very interested in the Victory brand and models. I was at the NYC motorcycle show this past weekend and of all the brands (that offer cruisers) that I checked out, Victory by far stood out the most to me. Unfortunately I did not get to sit on any at the show because it was extremely crowded, so I will plan on taking my time when I get to the dealer in the near future.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Hello and welcome! :)

I started street riding in my 20's with sport bikes and traded in my last Ninja for the Vic XC at 47. It was the right time to make the change and I know I made the right choice with Victory. I took a demo ride on a Judge last year and it wouldn't be a good fit for me, but you may like it and that's all that matters. As you stated, go over and check out the Judge at a Vic dealer for a closer look. Ask them if they are hosting the Victory Demo truck this year. IMO, that's the best way to know what fits best for you. You can check the Vic site for the Demo truck schedule, but I don't think it's been updated yet.

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hello and welcome! :)

I started street riding in my 20's with sport bikes and traded in my last Ninja for the Vic XC at 47. It was the right time to make the change and I know I made the right choice with Victory. I took a demo ride on a Judge last year and it wouldn't be a good fit for me, but you may like it and that's all that matters. As you stated, go over and check out the Judge at a Vic dealer for a closer look. Ask them if they are hosting the Victory Demo truck this year. IMO, that's the best way to know what fits best for you. You can check the Vic site for the Demo truck schedule, but I don't think it's been updated yet.

cheers
Thanks RedRocker! The demo truck does sound very interesting, I will check in with the dealer to see if it is possibly on the schedule in the upcoming months. I assume they would probably hope to bring something like that in around springtime when it starts warming up and people start getting the itch to ride and possibly buy!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Oh yeah, spring and summer Demo's up here in the Northeast. They offer $1000 bucks off during that time as well. Forgot to mention that tidbit. No excuses now. :D

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Typically our rides will be around countryside part of the state, into PA sometimes, 2-4 hour trips
That would be longer than I'd want to ride a Judge without a lot of modifications.

I liked the look of the Judge
Me too.

I have read a lot of comments out there that the seating position is not the most comfortable and I think the best thing to do will be for me to simply head on down to a victory dealer and sit on one and see how it feels.
Better yet, wait for the truck to come around and take one for a ride. Then take out one of the Cross bikes (tourers). You will quickly lose your crush on the Judge. And FYI, my Cross Roads only weighs about 80 lbs more than the cruisers like the Judge and holds an extra gallon of fuel. It also has a lot more ground clearance in the corners.

What I do know is I am very interested in the Victory brand and models.
Despite a couple of owners currently fighting over failing parts, I found them to be a pretty damn good machine. The company's management OTOH leaves a lot to be desired...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks saddlebag, appreciate the honest feedback! I am definitely going into it with an open mind and will consider all the options.

Sounds like my next steps will be to get in touch with the local dealer and see if they have any info about the demo truck coming around this spring.

Looking forward to riding in the new year! :ride:

·
Registered
396 Posts
hint,hint,dont pass up the chance to
test ride the highball. didnt think it was
my cup of tea,but after the test ride
i really was impressed with the power and
handling.thumb upcheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
I rode a lot of sport back in the 90's and early 00's, then chose to give up some of the toys for a while as family and other financial priorities came. When I got back in a year ago, wasn't long before I found myself on a Hammer and fell in love. Sure it takes a little more muscle when hitting curves aggressively because of that huge rear, but the massive and controllable stopping power up front? Awesome. I almost immediately felt like my first heavy ~550lb '94 CBR1000F sportbike had been reincarnated into a cruiser.

None of these bikes are even remotely going to feel or ride like a modern day sport, but the front end suspension/tire/dualdisc-brake setup put me in love with my Hammer, which also looks awesome with a good price for my budget.

Sure seem you can't go wrong with Victory. My first, and probably only, American made bike going forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback 07PEARLJACKPOT and The Wolf, it is interesting to read how each of you ended up making your model selections.

After reviewing all the feedback from everyone I am certain I will be checking out all the different models and seeing what works best for me!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well here is one more for you...I love my Vegas. :D
I love the way it handles and fits me. I've done many many 5-6 hours trips on it without any problems and it handles like a dream. I have no problem keeping up cross roads or any other cruiser. Some people complain about the skinny front tire but once you get use to it you would never know it's there.

Good luck with your search. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Don't let anyone persuade you away from the judge. If its what trips your trigger than run to it. Motorcycles are emotion stirring toys and if it don't excite you, you won't be happy with it. There are enough after market parts available to make any bike comfortable so don't skip it based on that it's uncomfortable. But how much money do you want to spend ? Also there are usually some left over models sitting around for greatly reduced prices. And don't over look used. Good luck ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts