Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
why didn't they have Victory or Indian bikes sold.
Have to wonder if Harley is concentrating on the foreign market and letting the american market just take care of itself.
We all know that anything new will get a good buyer's market.
Back before Victory Harley would always post how many models were sold. Now its all % and no figures

·
Registered
209 Posts
why didn't they have Victory or Indian bikes sold.
Have to wonder if Harley is concentrating on the foreign market and letting the american market just take care of itself.
We all know that anything new will get a good buyer's market.
Back before Victory Harley would always post how many models were sold. Now its all % and no figures
It's not really that hard to find, Harley's sold that is. Look it up.
2014 - 267,999 sold. 2015 - 264,627 units sold.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
For some reason Victory, and now probably Indian too, doesn't post their numbers sold. I've always found this a bit odd since just about every other company does. There has been some pretty good educated guesses on some years.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I realized something reading this article that pertains to the "majority" of motorcycle buyers; Buyers, buy for the name, image and loyalty. No matter how good/bad a bike might be, how well it fits a buyer, how the bike compares to others in its class. The dealership a buyer walks into is first based on the name hanging on the door...
I doubt sales would be going so well for Polaris if they was not able to get the Indian brand and had to sell these bike under a different name....think about it.

This might no be you so don't get offended.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I bought my cross country for the looks of it, not because of the name. Everything else about the bike was icing on the cake

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
In the case of Indian, Pain, I think it was a combination of the name and how well built it is under new ownership. Polaris Indian did a great job of holding to the nostalgic design but with newer technology. Bringing the Scout online first as an Indian was a stroke of genius I think. Us Vic owner know Polaris owns both brands and forgive them because we understand they had to strike while the iron was hot.

It's almost like Indian was divinely inspired somehow. If you've ridden one you know they are really great bikes. Not perfect but still dang nice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
IMO one of the reasons for Indian's latest success is due in part to the revival of the name. A revival that this time seems to be more solid.
The Gilroy & Rock Hill failures angered allot of folks .

Add to that the engine designs , now being their own gives them the independence of a brand. I have had two guys admire my Vic, but have a hangup about the connection to Polaris [snowmobiles] . I suppose Indian is separated enough from that ? that they don't carry that [stigma] ?

But.....so many people seem to be "my way or the highway" in their thinking that they just shun anything that's out of the box.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I was amazed at the tiny number of HD bikes sold globally compared to the major Japanese brands. As an example, there were roughly 250,000 HD bikes sold in a year compared to over 10 million for Honda alone. Honda sells more than 40 times the number of bikes as HD. Admittedly, a LOT of these are small engine bikes for the Asian market but still, that is a huge difference.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
As mentioned earlier in this thread, a large number of motorcycle buyers go for the name and not how the bike fits them how easy it is to service, etc. The large majority of HD owners bought a HD because that is what their buddy rides and they would be embarrassed or shunned for riding anything else. I see it with some of my own friends and family members and it is sad IMO that people can be persuaded so easily. The same thing is going on with Indian which is good for Polaris but no so good for Victory IMO. Now that riding season is in full swing here I have seen dozens of new Indians. I was even at the local Jap dealership getting parts for my enduro rebuild and saw two old guys with Indian hats. I asked them which model they got and they both said they don't own one but they like them. Sound familiar, advertising for something that you don't even own? I like to get the most I can for the least amount of money. I test rode every big bike that was made in 2012 and the Cross bike was the only one to fit my long and lanky frame. The plus side was it was also the cheapest of all the bikes I was looking at.

·
Registered
483 Posts
As mentioned earlier in this thread, a large number of motorcycle buyers go for the name and not how the bike fits them how easy it is to service, etc. The large majority of HD owners bought a HD because that is what their buddy rides and they would be embarrassed or shunned for riding anything else. I see it with some of my own friends and family members and it is sad IMO that people can be persuaded so easily. The same thing is going on with Indian which is good for Polaris but no so good for Victory IMO. Now that riding season is in full swing here I have seen dozens of new Indians. I was even at the local Jap dealership getting parts for my enduro rebuild and saw two old guys with Indian hats. I asked them which model they got and they both said they don't own one but they like them. Sound familiar, advertising for something that you don't even own? I like to get the most I can for the least amount of money. I test rode every big bike that was made in 2012 and the Cross bike was the only one to fit my long and lanky frame. The plus side was it was also the cheapest of all the bikes I was looking at.
After reading your reply I noticed your "sig"-line....What are vinyl closeouts ?
Thanks, Ron

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
It does make one wonder why HD, and now Indian, doesn't make their bikes a bit more size/height friendly and more modular. Victory did a great job of doing just that. At under 5'10" I don't even feel the need for highway pegs due to all the room on the floorboards.

RGP: Vinyl closeouts are simply quick attach pieces that go on the crash bars to block wind.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
At under 5'10" I don't even feel the need for highway pegs due to all the room on the floorboards.
I'm almost 6'2" (not quite, MAGS would get mad at me :D ) and that is the primary reason I chose the Vic. Super comfy without the need for after-market forward controls. Handling and rarity were a very close 2 and 3.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think the average height for an American male is around 5'9" and is probably the reason HD and now Indian makes their bikes as "small" as they do. I test rode a road king when I was shopping for my first big cruiser and I was very cramped on it, knees were level with the top of the tank.

·
13,262 Posts
It's not really that hard to find, Harley's sold that is. Look it up.
2014 - 267,999 sold. 2015 - 264,627 units sold.
so how many indians or Vic's have been sold

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good question. Went through 60 + pages of the Polaris financial report.
Nothing on number of motorcycles sold. No mention at all. got any idea?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts