Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have new to me, a 2016 XC. it has 3800 miles on it. I have an issue where the bike will start cold and run at idle smooth (RPM 1100 to 1200). Then it will start to idle bouncing from 1000 to 800 RPM, up and down, then stall. Last weekend I took it for a ride, and it started fine. I got over to a friend's house, then a mile into the ride, it started doing it again. The bike runs fine until I pull in the clutch, then it will stall. If I keep rolling on the throttle or keep the idle up, I can keep it running. I thought it might be bad gas, so I filled it with Super(93 octane). I drove it home (2 miles). By the time I got home i was running fine. Today I took it to work, which is a 55 mile trip. It started out fine, but by the time I got off the Highway, it was doing it again, so not the gas. I'm thinking electrical, maybe. I am going out to check the battery terminals to see if something is loose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks VictorV

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check your plugs. 3800 on a 4 or 5 year old bike means it's been doing a lot more sitting than running. Also check your oil, or better yet,change it. Guaranteed it's MAYBE had 1 change after 500 or so miles for the initial break in(hopefully).
I would much rather buy a bike with miles on it so it's hopefully had proper maintenance done, as opposed to something that's been sitting and thus had nothing done (if it's not being used, it's certainly not being maintained)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would suggest doing an IAC reset because it is easy and free. I would also suggest you remove the battery and have it load tested at an auto parts store. The IAC valve is sensitive to voltage changes and that's why I suggest you have the battery tested.

From the manual:

NOTE: Idle speed is continuously monitored and adjusted by the ECM via the IAC valve. DO NOT tamper with or attempt to “adjust” the idle stop screw or throttle plate flow screw! They are factory pre-set. If idle is erratic or if idle speed is incorrect, refer to troubleshooting in this section to find the cause of the problem.

Fuel pump prime procedure also serves to center the IAC valve. The fuel level in tank must be high enough to submerge the fuel pickup in the tank. A prime procedure should be performed:

• If a new fuel pump is installed or if tanks are run completely dry.
• Whenever fuel system is serviced (fuel line is disconnected).
• Whenever battery or IAC is disconnected.

1. Fill the fuel tank.
2. Turn Engine Stop switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition key ON.
4. Turn stop switch to RUN.
5. Allow switch to remain in RUN position until pump stops running (about 2-3 seconds).
6. Turn stop switch OFF.
7. WAIT until the ECM centers the IAC valve (the clicking sound stops) and then wait an additional 10 seconds or until you hear a faint single “click” from the relay.
8. Repeat Steps 4-7 about 5 times to complete the priming procedure. Turn ignition key OFF when priming is complete.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also check for dry-rotted/cracked rubber couplings on the IAC tube assembly as seen here....
20190717_170444.jpg
20190717_170856.jpg
20190717_170830.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. It turns out the battery terminals were a little loose. I tightened them up and the bike is running great.
I did an oil change last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Those dang battery terminals will get you every time.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,866 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

I was about to repeat on the battery. My bike almost didn't get me home when the battery got weak. Kept dying when idle. It was the original 2012 replaced last summer. It had a good life. :)

Star washers can help keep battery from loosening and always use a wrench on every battery not screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just had a car battery go bad. When I looked at my records, the receipt from its purchase was from 2009. I think I got my money's worth out of that battery :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
It was the original 2012 replaced last summer. It had a good life. :)
Impressive, bought my 2013 brand new in 2013, and have replaced the battery 3 times since I got it

·
Super Moderator
6,400 Posts
Impressive, bought my 2013 brand new in 2013, and have replaced the battery 3 times since I got it
Same for me. One of them was due to me always leaving the stupid fog lights on (I hadn't tied them into an switched circuit. Lesson learned :D )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts