Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to a dyno tune nip and tuck yesterday I noticed my horn would only work randomly. It didn't matter if I restarted the bike or not. It simply may or may not work within any number of miles. I'll try shooting some contact cleaner in their and see if that improves anything. Does the horn run through the flasher relay at all? I didn't see that it does when I looked on line last night but I may not have been looking at the proper wiring diagram. My 4 way flashers and turn signals work 100% reliably each and every time.

When leaving Charlotte Indian yesterday after the dyno run, my ABS light stayed on longer than it ever has. Josh said it was because the bike was running on the dyno without the front wheel turning. Sure enough, by the time I was leaving their parking lot a second time it went out. Then when I stopped for gas an hour later, it stayed on for the next 180 miles until I stopped for dinner and fuel again. It went out about 10 miles down the road after that stop. I'll try to wipe the front and rear sensor and check the associated wiring this weekend. Maybe it got some dirt or an insect blown in their in the dyno room.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
On my way to a dyno tune nip and tuck yesterday I noticed my horn would only work randomly. It didn't matter if I restarted the bike or not. It simply may or may not work within any number of miles. I'll try shooting some contact cleaner in their and see if that improves anything. Does the horn run through the flasher relay at all? I didn't see that it does when I looked on line last night but I may not have been looking at the proper wiring diagram. My 4 way flashers and turn signals work 100% reliably each and every time.

When leaving Charlotte Indian yesterday after the dyno run, my ABS light stayed on longer than it ever has. Josh said it was because the bike was running on the dyno without the front wheel turning. Sure enough, by the time I was leaving their parking lot a second time it went out. Then when I stopped for gas an hour later, it stayed on for the next 180 miles until I stopped for dinner and fuel again. It went out about 10 miles down the road after that stop. I'll try to wipe the front and rear sensor and check the associated wiring this weekend. Maybe it got some dirt or an insect blown in their in the dyno room.
Maybe take off the battery lead for a couple of minutes and reconnect?

Let everything reboot. Never know.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A shot of contact cleaner did nothing for the horn button. I'll look at the battery connections as well as wipe the ABS sensors. Plus I need to replace the now weeping shifter seal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OEM horn? My Stebel on the RSV would of its own mind decide not to work. Best I ever figured out the brushes or whatever in there would get dirty with road gunk and not want to work. The secondary horn would "beep" but those just were not very loud. So far My stebel on the XCT has not given me troubles. IT is wired off a separate relay/circuit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OEM horn? My Stebel on the RSV would of its own mind decide not to work. Best I ever figured out the brushes or whatever in there would get dirty with road gunk and not want to work. The secondary horn would "beep" but those just were not very loud. So far My stebel on the XCT has not given me troubles. IT is wired off a separate relay/circuit.
Yep they have a reed and reed valve. The valve can get gunked up. You probably know the intake is supposed to face down to avoid getting crap in them? Also careful with water around them. Can rust up inside

1 - 5 of 5 Posts