Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking at running my wires in handlebars on my 13 8-ball. I'm not so much worried about wiring due to ten years as an electrician from low voltage to high voltage. I'm aware that I'll have to drill a hole on bottom side of bars between risers but wondering where be best spot near controls? I know lot of HD/aftermarket bars already have holes to run wires behind or near controls. I have not removed my controls so do not know if there are slots already for wiring. If any one has done this please share your knowledge and experience on hole placement. Thanks

Yes I did search before posting

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not for nothing, but the search function on this forum is basically useless. As for the bars, I put your bars on my vegas, and aside from the holes on the ends of the bars (obviously), there are two small holes that marry up to a notch on the switch housing to prevent it from spinning. You would have to drill a hole up top as well to run the wires down. Also, there is the hole about halfway up to secure the lines that you would want to plug up I'm sure.
As far as electrical, I am pretty sure you would have to splice the wires to get the length, which you said wouldn't be an issue. However, I don't think that the angles and the inside diameter of the bars would allow for the throttle cables and/or clutch cables to go through them.
Good luck hiding the electrical cables though, hopefully you get it squared away, I wanna see pics when it is done!

Edit: Just saw that you put 8-Ball, and not High Ball. What model are you riding? There are a number of different 8-Balls and they all sport different bars. I used Highball bars for my post.

·
13,047 Posts
harley's bars have a dimple in them and the wires come out of the housing in away that makes it easy to run wires inside.
You would have to drill 1/4" or bigger hole up by controls and one at bottom. Not hard but does make the bars weaker. If you stay with stock bars you might not need to add any wire. If you need to cut your wires cut them at staggered lengths so you don't have a big bulge in the wires.
Blow a string down the holes to pull wires threw. Even spray some WD-40 inside bars for wires to slide better.
A lot of work to hide wires and have your brake, clutch. throttle left to show.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
If you aren't having to extend the wires you should be able to remove them from the housing and put them back into to their slots after running the wires. Be sure to take a picture and write down what color went to what slot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys not sure when I'll tackle this project but when I do I will do a DIY write up pictures. As far as the cables, I personally don't mind seeing cables and breaded lines. Not only that but it's not good for throttle cables to have several if any bends, same with brake lines. I have done wire tucks on automative engine bays and for same reason left cables alone. I do appreciate all tips, thanks guys. Next rainy weekend I'll probably tear into this beast. Right now we have good riding weather so I'm out when I have a chance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive been looking at how to do this on my vegas with hammer bars as well. Ill post if i come up with something but shouldnt be difficult at all. And i wouldnt be concerned with making the bars weaker if u dont drastically over size the holes.

·
13,047 Posts
You'll be surprised how big you'll have to make the hole.
You should think how your going to get the wires of of the connector housing that will be a hard part to do

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Absolutely NOT two different worlds. Big deal it's an HD. A bike is a bike is a bike. Like he said same amount of wires. Actually depending on model maybe a few more. I internally wired my Yaffe monkey bars on my road king and what a PITA. Sharp bends and shitty welding make for difficult pulls. I'm thinking my Ness modular bars should be a lot easier. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yours will be easeir than mine was. I Did it with a 99 V92, they have extra wires for the mode and set buttons on the controls, was very tight in a 1.5" bar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya really the only huge concern is if ur bars are a welment and theres no direct path. Like on the chopper when i built the handlebars i knew id be internally wiring so i had to drill a hole at each riser location before welding on the top tube. But theres plenty of bars that dont have that hole at which point ur done, assuming u cant come down the risers but mine had pull back so u couldnt.

The ness fly bars that were on my bike woulda been easy and i think the v bars i have now should be as well. Its just a matter of how ambitious i am now lol.

Also as adressed about the switch housing, you mill a slot in the underside of the bars and u may bave to dimple them slightly as well so that u can keep from pinching the wires as they make the turn into the slot. Maybe i make it sound easy cuz i have all the right tools... Its not necessarily a living room type mod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts