Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't rode a motorcycle in 7 years and looking to get back on the saddle. When I started I just rode a little Honda Nighthawk 450, it was alright but the power just wasn't there. I've been looking around at various companies and came across Victory and the dealer around me has a great deal on a 2012 Vegas 8 Ball brand new for $9000. It's sunday so I can't go there and try the bike out so for the moment I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the bike is. The thing that worries me is I saw its 800lbs dry weight but I am only 5'4" and 135lbs and worried it will be too heavy. Anyone around my size that can comment on how it feels.

Thanks and hoping to be a Victory owner soon.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I am basically a tour rider so don't know that model very well at all. When the dealer is open, go sit on that thing and see if you can plant both heels firmly at once in the showroom. If you can, maybe it would work for you. Then it is time for a test drive. If not, try the other models that they have. There is bound to be something short enough to fit you well. I am looking at the Vic Vision because the Goldwing is just too tall for me to control properly. I would love to have that 6 cylinder touring bike but no way am I going to ride with training wheels so that I can stop it. I would be fine on it from 5 to 100 MPH but at a stop it would fall over on me. I actually tried one and gave up because of the leg reach to the ground.
If you have not ridden lately, take the basic riding skills course. It is a great refresher and will improve your skills. I took my first ever course and graduated on my 60th birthday. It helped me a lot when I thought I was ready to re-enter the riding world.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
stock height

If you try it and are comfortable with your footing great. Lean it over with the side stand up a few times see if it feels balanced for you. Most of the Victorys are very well balanced and carry the weight low. Other manufactures carry the weight high. If you are comfortable with it do not let the sales people talk you into lowering the bike. Remember if you lower it, it will drag sooner and if you put a passagner on the back and some luggage it will drag through the turns even sooner. Personally I would try it without lowering it to begin with. You can alway cut the seat down a little or buy a lower seat. Because I am only 5'7" the people at the dealer wanted to drop the bike for me(CrossRoads). I said no, and I am just fine with it. I figure if you try it and it is to high and to hard to handle then spend the money and lower it. I would still try a lower seat first,but that is me. I have cut seats down on my old bikes over the years, it is not that hard to do. Good luck with you decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the vegas 8 ball is not that heavy its only 6 somthing i think
i dont know where some of these weight listings come from but have seen cross country's listed at 1250 and i knoe they are not
the vegas is a nice bike you should be just fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts