Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum here. Recently acquired a 2000 V92c, altered with a batwing fairing and hardbags. I am having a high speed wobble, I looked in the "death Wobble" thread. I saw mention of Progression Link Stabilizer and True-Track mentioned, but didn't see on either site where these products fit a Victory. Could someone give me some direction to fix this problem, please?
Thank you

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Ive heard others complain about a high speed wobble - and it is usually caused by a batwing fairing that has been mounted to the forks, rather than to the frame of the bike. I suppose the easiest way to fix it is to remove the batwing fairing. Or drive slower...but who the hell wants to do that?!?! LOL!

Good luck, and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, neither of those is going to happen. The fairing is half the reason I purchased this bike. It's my long distance ride. lol. It honestly feels like it's more in the rear than the front. Best way I can describe it is to say it feels like i'm riding a dog that's wagging it's tail.
Thank you,

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Welcome BomberGirlAWOL and how did you come about that handle? Where to start...there are so many factors that can cause HS wobble. Steering head bearings - are they worn and/or adjusted properly. Wheel bearings - ditto. Tires - worn, proper air? Note the profile of the front tire, if its kinda triangular, the previous owner rode 'em under-inflated and they may need to be replaced. When wobble occurs, stay loose on the bars (as you should always be) and slowly back off the throttle. Again, welcome from the Pacific Northwet and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, and thank you. I am a patch holder with Bomber Girls LRC, and currently chapterless hence AWOL.
The steering bearings were just tightened down, the tires are new and at the correct pressure. It doesnt wobble all the time, but when does, it gets a good wiggle wiggle wiggle on.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Hi, and thank you. I am a patch holder with Bomber Girls LRC, and currently chapterless hence AWOL.
The steering bearings were just tightened down, the tires are new and at the correct pressure. It doesnt wobble all the time, but when does, it gets a good wiggle wiggle wiggle on.
That leaves the wheel bearings - unlikely, but worth checking. Correct air pressure? Your own doing with a good gauge? Never trust the shop guy or his gauge. I've tapped out my mental resources on this subject...maybe someone else, who actually has cured HS wobble, can chime in here. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I crashed from a high speed wobble on an old BMW... not a pretty picture, drive slow until you figure it out... sucks.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Bomber Girl, I had a chance to sleep on this and got to wondering about your fairing and a some questions come to mind. How high is the windscreen? Tall enough that you have to look through it? If so, cut it down so that you look over it. You'll still have good wind protection, but a clearer view, especially in rain and fog. Is there an air passage where the windscreen is attached to the fairing? That's needed to relieve the low pressure that builds behind the windscreen, causing turbulence. The aerodynamics of your fairing, if not correct, can be the cause of your HS wobble, or a contributor. A picture would help.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
P.S. These fairing wobble, turbulance, noise troubles are legendary, for all bikes... I suggest NAKED (no fairing, windshield), you'll get used to it quickly, and once you go naked you won't be able to stand something in front of you.... I say NAKED.

(This is the wrong place for such advice, since most people here love that stuff in front of them, oh well)

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
After over seven decades on this planet, I have had my share of pain and discomfort and have learned not to volunteer for more. I started out riding naked, then became painfully aware of how much crap there is being thrown my way while zooming down the highway, not to forget what rain feels like at 60 per. You go right ahead and ride naked. I'll ride comfortable. :)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
After over seven decades on this planet, I have had my share of pain and discomfort and have learned not to volunteer for more. I started out riding naked, then became painfully aware of how much crap there is being thrown my way while zooming down the highway, not to forget what rain feels like at 60 per. You go right ahead and ride naked. I'll ride comfortable. :)
There's naked riders, and there's not......

There's nothing like the sting of a large flying beetle in the neck at 70mph...... ahhh.

:cool:

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
You said a mouthful, Lance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bomber Girl, I had a chance to sleep on this and got to wondering about your fairing and a some questions come to mind. How high is the windscreen? Tall enough that you have to look through it? If so, cut it down so that you look over it. You'll still have good wind protection, but a clearer view, especially in rain and fog. Is there an air passage where the windscreen is attached to the fairing? That's needed to relieve the low pressure that builds behind the windscreen, causing turbulence. The aerodynamics of your fairing, if not correct, can be the cause of your HS wobble, or a contributor. A picture would help.
The windscreen isn't that high, well below my line of sight (the picture angle is a little misleading on that)
. I don't see an air passage... I'll research that. Trying to attacha photo now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P.S. These fairing wobble, turbulance, noise troubles are legendary, for all bikes... I suggest NAKED (no fairing, windshield), you'll get used to it quickly, and once you go naked you won't be able to stand something in front of you.... I say NAKED.

(This is the wrong place for such advice, since most people here love that stuff in front of them, oh well)
Thanks Lance, but I have a hardtail bobber that I run naked (left)

I bought the bagger specifically for my long distance riding.

·
13,188 Posts
check rear tire for wear and air pressure shock setting might be to low.
even check your swing arm for being tight and bearings.Even check rear motor mount
Most shakes come from back end not the front.
Harley has over 4 thousand lawsuits against them for wobbles on there batwing fairing bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
check rear tire for wear and air pressure shock setting might be to low.
even check your swing arm for being tight and bearings.Even check rear motor mount
Most shakes come from back end not the front.
Harley has over 4 thousand lawsuits against them for wobbles on there batwing fairing bikes.
It's often a case of everything aligning just 'wrong' for the wobble to become massive, quickly, and you're down... I don't trust fairings for that reason and because of the noise/buffeting issues that seem common to all.... I also can't stand that thing in front of me.... but when you've chosen such a thing and don't want to be without, then... you often have to live with it.

If you've got a bike, fairing, that others have wobble issues with you probably can't fix it, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am confused as to why many here are attempting to blame the fairing when (as others have stated) many issues are related to the rear of the bike. It's an older bike so why not look into the suspension. Check for any cracks, loose bolts, or connections due to wear over the years.

Harley remedied their problems simply by changing the frame in 2009 and (to my knowledge) there were not any significant issues with the death wobble after they changed that frame so Harley's cause (obviously) wasn't the fairing so ... why all the "blame" directed @ the batwing on this one guys?

Having stated that I doubt it is the fairing, she can always test it easily simply by (temporarily) removing the fairing and then try to re-create the incident (at low, controllable speeds of course) and then once it occurs with the fairing removed, she could then eliminate that from the equation and put it back on for good.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
It's often a case of everything aligning just 'wrong' for the wobble to become massive, quickly, and you're down... I don't trust fairings for that reason and because of the noise/buffeting issues that seem common to all.... I also can't stand that thing in front of me.... but when you've chosen such a thing and don't want to be without, then... you often have to live with it.

If you've got a bike, fairing, that others have wobble issues with you probably can't fix it, in my humble opinion.
My dear Lance, didja ever notice that there have been no complaints from Cross Roads owners about buffeting and/or wobbling? And yet, there's a generous chuck of plastic connected to the forks. Go figger. thumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts