Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 15K real fast and starting to think about scheduled maintenance.

What’s the REAL procedure for changing the fork oil for the inverted forks on the cross bikes? The shop manual has a lot of info about how to fully disassemble the forks and put them back together but nothing on how to just change the fork oil. Is it really necessary to do all that or is it just a dump and fill like standard forks?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
You will need to pull both forks, the cap, the spring and keeper using a spring removal tool, drain it and pump out the fluid still in the cartridge. Then fill it up with the spacer and top plastic section in (don't know what that's called). Use your syringe gauge to find the right level after you pump fluid back into the cartidge; then put spring in and compress with the spring compressor, put the spring keeper back on and the cap. Use lock nut to hold cap on and screw cap into upper part of inverted fork. Repeat on the other one. Done.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Wouldn't time be the prime factor for fluid changes, instead of miles? I have always gone by the 2 year rule, regardless of miles.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think Witch Doctor has a video on how to change fork oil???

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was a significant reduction in the amount of braking dive, improvement in how the bike handled bumps, and generally better handling after the fork oil change.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i was told vic uses a progressive wound spring. is there a better
one to use, like a Progressive brand ? is there something you
have tried for a better ride out of the front end. i had used
Progressive springs and shocks on the vtx with good results.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Vic fork oil is 7.5 wt. according to my manual
I ma about to do the Fork seals on my 05 Pin. It has 56,000 on it.On e seal is leaking, and I suspect the oil is past due for changing

·
13,002 Posts
The only reason to change fork oil is cause of condensation.
The fork oil would not wear out for a long time but if water forms in forks then you need to. No you don't need the bushing either.
I think Victory if trying to get more of our money for stuff that doesn't need replacing as fast as they say.
Like a drive belt if its in good shape why can't you go to 75 thousand miles. Break fluid is good for five years or your air filter and so on.
Yes you half to be your owen judge of what to replace. I think of other company's that say you can go longer. What makes there stuff so much better when most come from the same place.
Yes i know some people would never change there oil if you didn't tell them to.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I am blasting through 15k a year so I could wait. I ordered the tools to compress it. I thought a 10w oil would work better. I think there is some dive to mine as well. If I can skip fairing removal, which it looks like you could, it would not be too bad if done during the tire change as well. I plan on doing that some time but have 17k and the front tire still looks good. The Dunlop Elite 3 tires are pretty bad ass. Just changed the rear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Changed mine this weekend. Took a few hours. Not a bad job, definitely worth doing if your ride starts suffering. Will probably do it when I do front tire swaps. I have 25,000 miles, and used a 10 weight oil. Feels good so far. I did it without removing the fairing, just take off brakes, fender, and wheel, loosen pinch bolts and slide them out.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Changed mine this weekend. Took a few hours. Not a bad job, definitely worth doing if your ride starts suffering. Will probably do it when I do front tire swaps. I have 25,000 miles, and used a 10 weight oil. Feels good so far. I did it without removing the fairing, just take off brakes, fender, and wheel, loosen pinch bolts and slide them out.
Which brand? I've heard tale that the viscosity of various fork oils are not necessarily proportional to the oil's weight. Since Vic does not spec the weight of their fork oil, it's hard to even know where to start :confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Which brand? I've heard tale that the viscosity of various fork oils are not necessarily proportional to the oil's weight. Since Vic does not spec the weight of their fork oil, it's hard to even know where to start :confused:
I used a Maxima 10w from Cycle gear. I read that KevinX said Vic's use 7.5 weight. I thought mine dove some on harsh bumps, so I upped it and it feels firmer now, either due to new oil or the added weight. I have used 10w in all my other bikes too stock. It is really easy to change with the right tool, so I plan to run this until the next time and decide again then. They had a 15w, 10w, 7.5w, 5w. I am fine with the 10w it rides 100 times better than my Dyna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts