Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I need a couple of opinions (which I'm sure to get) on which iPhone app to use for GPS. I have an iPhone 5 and want to use it as my GPS unit instead of buying a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin. I have looked at two, GPS Co-Pilot and GPS Drive. Neither seem to have the flexibility for trip planning as does Microsoft Streets and Trips. I also have an iPad. Ultimately I would like to plan the trip on the iPad then be able to pull it up on my iPhone, plug in and go.

Any suggestions for good trip planning and GPS apps out there?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gps

A Very Good FREE app for the iPhone is WAZE.
from Waze Mobile Ltd
I even use it in the cage.
Search for waze on App store. If you don't like it just delete it.:cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use the Garmin app. It's not free though, I think I paid $20 something for it. You can't transfer routes from an external source. I believe this is more of an issue with apple OS than the Garmin app. If I want to plan a route I do it in Google maps then I use the Garmin trip planner and add manual waypoints form my Google maps route.

I use my old IPhone 3G for a GPS. The IPhone is not the best GPS for a motorcycle. The screen is hard to see in sunlight and you can't wear gloves. I cut the tip out of the index finger on my glove, and I mostly depend on the voice prompts. The IPhone 3 and 4 will get very hot and shut down on hot days. I have a cover over my 3G and I have a metal bracket that I put behind it to act as a heat sink. Since I did that my 3G has not shut down on me yet. Maybe the 5 is better I don't know. started using my 3G because I didn't like how hot my 4 would get when I used it. Another thing to consider is if the app stores the maps locally on your phone. You don't need internet service just GPS with the Garmin app. If the app needs internet service to download maps it can become a problem if you decide to change your route and your in an area with no service. I have AT&T and when I tried to use the IPhone maps app this caused me problems a couple of times.

Overall I am pretty happy with the setup. You can kind of see the setup in this picture.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I use the app that came with the phone.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I usually use Waze. If not that, then Google Maps. The only problem is both of these apps require Internet access to download maps while you are riding. I like the idea of the Garmin app because the maps are stored locally, negating the need for an active Internet connection while riding. I may have to check this out further.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh iphone...remember the days when it was still had google maps integration? Those were the days. I have a $400 Garmin GPS and my google Nav app blows it away. Garmin collects dust. Between the built in nav app, google maps, and google earth Droid has all your navigational needs on lock down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh iphone...remember the days when it was still had google maps integration? Those were the days. I have a $400 Garmin GPS and my google Nav app blows it away. Garmin collects dust. Between the built in nav app, google maps, and google earth Droid has all your navigational needs on lock down.
Google maps is available for iPhone. In needs to be downloaded from the app stope.

I have gps copilot it stores the maps on the phone so no cell service is needed. You can plan trips but its a pain. I would love to find an app. That I can plot out a route on my Mac/Pc the download it to my iPhone for some reason that seems to be hard to do. It seem to me it should be easy to make your own route. I know I could do it with a garmin 660 but I don't want to spend a ton of money just for that.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
On point to point navigation, I agree. Put in a destination address and it'll take you there. However, what it lacks (unless I simply have not figured it out yet) is the ability to plan a trip on a computer, save it, somehow send it to your phone and use that to navigate. With a Garmin GPS I can plan the trip on "basecamp" and send that to my Garmin GPS unit.

Another thing I have been trying to find is an app that will track your ride, save it and allow you to use that saved route for future rides. I follow a buddy around county back roads and often am not familiar enough with the area to do the ride again on my own. The Victory Rides app does a god job of tracking a ride, allowing you to save it and "share" it on Facebook, but no ability to use that track again. Seems it would be easy to do but,...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Google maps is available for iPhone. In needs to be downloaded from the app stope.

I have gps copilot it stores the maps on the phone so no cell service is needed. You can plan trips but its a pain. I would love to find an app. That I can plot out a route on my Mac/Pc the download it to my iPhone for some reason that seems to be hard to do. It seem to me it should be easy to make your own route. I know I could do it with a garmin 660 but I don't want to spend a ton of money just for that.
I realize you can DL the app, thats why I said "integration" as in anything that uses location services was auto integrated to google maps before the whole "apple maps debauckle". So between the built in google nav (iphone doesnt use anymore) and maps and earth...yada yada

·
Registered
530 Posts
On point to point navigation, I agree. Put in a destination address and it'll take you there. However, what it lacks (unless I simply have not figured it out yet) is the ability to plan a trip on a computer, save it, somehow send it to your phone and use that to navigate. With a Garmin GPS I can plan the trip on "basecamp" and send that to my Garmin GPS unit.

Another thing I have been trying to find is an app that will track your ride, save it and allow you to use that saved route for future rides. I follow a buddy around county back roads and often am not familiar enough with the area to do the ride again on my own. The Victory Rides app does a god job of tracking a ride, allowing you to save it and "share" it on Facebook, but no ability to use that track again. Seems it would be easy to do but,...
There are several trip trackers available. I actually have the galaxy gear (smart watch) and I have an app for that, that plots my points as I ride (walk, swim, whatever...well maybe not swim :p) and makes it available to view. As for pre-planning you can pre plan your route on google maps on your computer and save it for offline use, email the link to yourself, and open it in your phones browser and since it was saved for offline use it wont eat up your data. Im almost positive there is a way to open it in Nav (which uses data obviously) and then it overlays your friendly blue dot and bingo you have a gps and route planning together. I am at work in a cellphone free building so I cant check for a walk through. But we have planned routes in maps and saved for offline use many times. Worst case scenerio with droid's true multitasking its easy to flip back and forth between your saved offline map and your nav.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just confirmed that you can plan your route on your pc in google maps and then email it to yourself. BUT instead of opening it in offline mode you simply open it up in "maps" (not the nav app" and you will be able to follow your blue dot. Downside is in the nav app you get turn by turn directions and an arrow (instead of a dot). Ive never used turn by turn while riding though. If I need to get my bearings i stop and check.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Victory Rides app does a god job of tracking a ride, allowing you to save it and "share" it on Facebook, but no ability to use that track again. Seems it would be easy to do but,...
You can email the route with Victory rides and it sends it as a .GPX and .CSV, along with a PNG picture. Maybe they just added this in the new version, I have just started messing around with it in the last couple of days. You should be able to use a .GPX track.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I just confirmed that you can plan your route on your pc in google maps and then email it to yourself. BUT instead of opening it in offline mode you simply open it up in "maps" (not the nav app" and you will be able to follow your blue dot. Downside is in the nav app you get turn by turn directions and an arrow (instead of a dot). Ive never used turn by turn while riding though. If I need to get my bearings i stop and check.
I tried the google maps ---> email trick before and could not get it to work, but that was before they nixed the navigation app for android and when strictly with maps. Maybe it'll work now. I'll have to give it a try. Not so much worried about turn by turn...as long as I can follow the magic dot.

Edit to add...I just went to maps and tried to create a route and it does allow me to manipulate the route...to a point. I can drag and drop the point any way I desire, right up until MAPS decides it has a better idea for where I want to go. It then changes the route and does not allow me to change it back.

You can email the route with Victory rides and it sends it as a .GPX and .CSV, along with a PNG picture. Maybe they just added this in the new version, I have just started messing around with it in the last couple of days. You should be able to use a .GPX track.
My victory rides app gives me the option to email a GPX file or a KLM file. I emailed the GPX file to myself using gmail, opened gmail on my phone, selected the attachment and it asked me if I wanted to open using my calendar or S Memo file (.snb). Tried both and they both failed.

With technology today, it should not be this friggin hard. Or, could be I'm just tupid.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I tried the google maps ---> email trick before and could not get it to work, but that was before they nixed the navigation app for android and when strictly with maps. Maybe it'll work now. I'll have to give it a try. Not so much worried about turn by turn...as long as I can follow the magic dot.

Edit to add...I just went to maps and tried to create a route and it does allow me to manipulate the route...to a point. I can drag and drop the point any way I desire, right up until MAPS decides it has a better idea for where I want to go. It then changes the route and does not allow me to change it back.

My victory rides app gives me the option to email a GPX file or a KLM file. I emailed the GPX file to myself using gmail, opened gmail on my phone, selected the attachment and it asked me if I wanted to open using my calendar or S Memo file (.snb). Tried both and they both failed.

With technology today, it should not be this friggin hard. Or, could be I'm just tupid.
Its not just you. I've been trying for the last year to get custom maps on my iPhone. I have yet to figure it out. I know I could buy a garmin 660 and do custom routes with that. I don't think I should have shell out hundreds of dollars to do something that my phone should do. I made a custom route in google maps and was able to do it but it was a pain. Then tried to get the route to my phone, nope not happening. I tried email a link then opening it in chrome. it then sent me to google maps app and then when I looked it showed the starting point and destination but the route was just a direct route. My custom route was no where to be found.

Apple maps on mac almost got it right. I can easily create a direct route the send it to my iPhone. The problem no way to make a custom route.

GPS copilot live app allows some route changes but is far from easy.

I would pay fair price for an app that would allow me to simply choose a starting point. Then drag my finger along the route i want to follow and then have turn by turn directions lead the way. It should not be so hard to do something so simple.

·
Registered
530 Posts

nixed the nav app for maps only? I use the nav app all the time...in conjunction with the map app. I still very much have a nav app (running 4.3). You are talking droid right? Sounds like it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
nixed the nav app for maps only? I use the nav app all the time...in conjunction with the map app. I still very much have a nav app (running 4.3). You are talking droid right? Sounds like it.
Yep, Droid. Google navigation (the blue arrow) is no longer available. Which nav app are you using?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yep, Droid. Google navigation (the blue arrow) is no longer available. Which nav app are you using?
google nav...with the blue arrow?? Im confused...im running the latest os (and have been droid since 2.3), how do you not have the gps app?

wait up...

I left the above because I truly am confused. I just opened my "blue arrow" then the "maps" app...and they look exactly the same. And function exactly the same. And now that I think about it (with my phone in hand cause I'm no longer on lock down at work) I can't honestly remember what the difference was before...but I do most def have a dedicated "navigation app" if I use s voice and say "navigate too..." it auto launches the blue arrow over maps. Im using an S3...but am 99.9% sure it isnt a samsung nav app anyway so that shouldn't matter...curious

EDIT:

well ****...so I opened up the blue arrow, clearly labeled "navigation" got into settings and about, sure enough it states its "maps version suchnsuch"...for whatever reason when they dropped a separate nav app they clearly left the icon/app and just slid maps into its spot. I bet if i were to factory restore this puppy it would just drop it and only have maps...because its clearly a maps wolf in gps sheeps clothing. That being said the fact that I didnt notice means maps is doing all i need it to...

I promise to never doubt you again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts