Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question for those of you with iphones. i have an iphone, i plan to get the arkon holder to mount to my bars, mostly to use as a gps, but would like to also connect to the radio. i have a cross country, not tour so no lowers. i would need to get the harness to connect, but the pics ive seen has the box inline. anyone else using their iphone with handlebar mount in this way?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Me

I use a Ram Mount on the bars, and an X-Grip to hold iPhone and or Garmin. Grabs good and holds great.
I connected a cigarette lighter type connection to the Battery tender plug that goes to the battery for power.
:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
question for those of you with iphones. i have an iphone, i plan to get the arkon holder to mount to my bars, mostly to use as a gps, but would like to also connect to the radio. i have a cross country, not tour so no lowers. i would need to get the harness to connect, but the pics ive seen has the box inline. anyone else using their iphone with handlebar mount in this way?

Have you tried this already? The phone will get very hot. I use an old 3G as a GPS but I have a cover and I added a heat sink to keep it cool. With the sun beating down on it and running a GPS program it will probably shut down on you on warm days.

That is why I quit using my 4 as a GPS I was worried about damaging it due to the heat.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I simply use an $8 bluetooth receiver from Ebay. It plugs into the Iphone plug in the saddlebag. It works about 30 feet away from the bike when I am walking around my yard with my phone in my pocket. Let me know if you have any questions

Here is a link to the Ebay Item I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111195713769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2389wt_1366

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the radio picks up the bluetooth? i dont need anything else ?

and no i have not tried it yet with the bar mount, didnt even think of the heat , its usually not that hot here but definately something to think about

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
defender bob. does that bluetooth plug into the phone or the adapter cable? i dont have the cable on my bike

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the dock boss Bluetooth adapter. It connects to the 30 pin iphone plug on the bike. You just pair your phone with it and it will stream music and gps directions at the same time. The problem I found with this setup is. Every time I turn the bike off. It looses the connection so every time I restart the bike. I have to go into the phone settings and reconnect the Bluetooth. It's not hard just annoying.

My new plan is to wire in a 3.5mm cable into the bike where the Vic GPS would connect. Then run it up to the handlebar so I can plug it into the phone. When I have the phone mounted. That way I can listen to my XM and have the gps instruction at the same time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes he is correct. It just plugs into the accessory in the saddlebag. You have to select the bluetooth source on your phone and make sure the bike radio is turned to AUX. The bike radio thinks an Iphone is plugged in.

·
Banned
471 Posts
I am using two RAM mounts. One is for My Samsung which is on the left side using the RAM X grip, coming off the mirror mount. The other side I'm using the factory mount from the brake handle bracket, that one holds my ash tray....

Check out the pictures:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok problem for me is i dont have the ipod / iphone wire harness in the bag or fairing mine is a 12 and didnt come with it, but i have an iphone so i wouldnt use the bluetooth.

·
Registered
262 Posts
ok problem for me is i dont have the ipod / iphone wire harness in the bag or fairing mine is a 12 and didnt come with it, but i have an iphone so i wouldnt use the bluetooth.

You can buy the iphone harness from victory.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes and that was part of the original question, how many people have handlebar mounted iphones and use the cable ? the tour comes with the cable in the lower , correct, the '13 and up have it in the saddle bag , i dont have one yet but would like to use it at my handlebars.

·
Registered
372 Posts
yes and that was part of the original question, how many people have handlebar mounted iphones and use the cable ? the tour comes with the cable in the lower , correct, the '13 and up have it in the saddle bag , i dont have one yet but would like to use it at my handlebars.
Get whichever type of aux add-in cable you want from Victory (the 3.5mm audio jack or the iPhone-specific cable) and then attach it under the fairing where the radio's aux-in connector is located. Then buy an extension cable (either 3.5mm male-to-female or iPhone extension) and run it up the bars to where you want to mount the phone. Very simple operation.

The aux-in connector is pretty much dead center on this picture. Right above the double yellow wire and to the right of the two wire loom pieces.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
539 Posts
thanks so the 3.5 cable works the same as the ipod/iphone cable?
Not exactly, with the IPhone cable you can control the phone, Volume and next track, with the radio controls. You can also see the song data on the display. With the 3.5mm you have to control everything from the phone, and no display.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What Term said. Also be aware that the Vic iPhone cable may not work with your iPhone, depending on what gen phone you have. Not sure what gens their cable is for, but I don't believe they have both styles.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, ordered my mount last night, and my iphone is a couple years old so i think its the right adapter, thinking thats the way to go, but other thought is when i get another device then what for a connector, where the 3.5 is pretty universal, hmm

·
Registered
372 Posts
thanks, ordered my mount last night, and my iphone is a couple years old so i think its the right adapter, thinking thats the way to go, but other thought is when i get another device then what for a connector, where the 3.5 is pretty universal, hmm
My thought is that if you are going to mount the phone on the handlebars it really isn't a big deal to not have control of the music or display via the stock radio. You can easily change songs at a stop sign and you can set your phone to stay on if you want to see what's playing. If you were going to put the connector in a saddlebag or in a lower compartment and not have any access to the phone without getting off the bike then the stereo control would be very useful.

Rob

·
Registered
539 Posts
If it's a IPhone 4 or 3 then it's the right connector, if it's a 5 then it's not, but you can buy an adapter. The cables are pretty easy to swap out, at least it was on my Vision.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ImageUploadedByMO Free1402972295.228680.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1402972311.294621.jpg
well got the new arkon mount tonight and put on. now to make up my mind on a connection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts