Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's something wrong with my saddlebag iPod cable. I get a clicking noise in the audio and it won't charge my iPod or iPhone. I suspect the cable is kinked, pinched, cut or otherwise compromised somewhere along its length, and instead of trying to track that down or replace the whole cable I'd prefer to abandon it altogether and get a short cable to come directly out of the dash. Does such a part exist? I don't think anyone would argue that the really hot setup would be if our dash had a USB input that interfaced with the stereo but till something like that becomes available I'd gladly welcome a 30-pin cable in the frontal dash area.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Mine is in the left front leg fairing glove box. My connector is up front bu the lower left corner of the gas tank. So I supose you could just get a Ram Mount for the ipod/phone and run your cable up the handle bars to it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is in the left front leg fairing glove box. My connector is up front by the lower left corner of the gas tank. So I suppose you could just get a Ram Mount for the ipod/phone and run your cable up the handle bars to it.
Umm, did you say the 30-pin connector is in the fairing box but plugs into the main harness to the left side of the tank? You've followed it up and can see where it plugs in? That would be cool! I'll take a look and see if my 2010 has a plug in that location. Your answer leads me to believe there must be a shorter cable available which would plug right in to the factory harness. I already have a Ram mount on the handlebar for my phone, and this setup would allow me to power it, play music, and monitor maps while under way. Anyone know the part number for the shorter cable?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait I found the cable - and DUH! - it's the same piece I already have in my right saddlebag (dumbass).
$109 from Victory or I could just unplug my existing one and relocate it to the front harness connection beside the steering head. I am definitely doing that first before I buy anything new because there's still an issue I'm chasing - an annoying clicking sound that seems to be in the background of everything I play. Relocating the connector will tell me if the issue is something in the long length of cable stretching to the bag, or something closer to the radio unit up in the fairing. If the issue turns out to be in the radio well, we'll just take that one step at a time. I will report any new developments.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey if anyone's still following this thread I worked on it some more today - and got nowhere!
First of all, to clear up what djh3 said about a connector up front by the neck, no such luck on a 2010...that is either for later years or only touring models, or both.

So to see if the problem is in my extension cable I opened my fairing and plugged the ipod adapter from my saddlebag (pictured above) directly into the radio harness inside the front fairing - then plugged in my iphone and at first I thought there was NO TICKING but my excitement was short lived when I realized it still wasn't charging, and before I was done dicking around with it the ticking was back too.

Something is very glitchy about the whole deal and now I'm starting to suspect the N-Touch 30pin adapter - or the radio head unit itself. Looking for a pinout diagram to better understand what's happening with all those wires on that 30-pin adapter if anyone knows where to find one. Also wondering what's inside that black box - I figured it was just some noise suppression resistors but maybe there's circuitry that's been damaged?

I mentioned in a different thread that my adapter had been mangled by its former owner and I repaired it (Pic below). I have learned from today's trials that the 2 plugs serve 2 functions - the smaller one with 3 wires is audio only, while the other larger bundle is controls only, one of which should be the charging wire. Another curiosity is if I unplug the control cable the ticking instantly and completely stops, but the music keeps playing, I just can't change tracks.

Here is the way my plug looked before I repaired it:

Here's the repaired cable plugged directly into the radio harness inside front fairing:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I am aware of those parts. One of those is likely to be my problem - if not then it must be up in the head unit itself. I was hoping for a way to troubleshoot it further before throwing money at it which might not resolve the issue. If it's in the head unit I'm not even sure I'd fix it vs going aftermarket with a head unit that had more power, deeper EQ functions, and built-in bluetooth capability.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm...

If memory serves, there is a thread about clicking in sound from an iphone somewhere in the forum. I seem to remember someone saying that a setting change on the phone caused the clicking to stop. I'll do a lil diggin to see what i can come up with, but if anyone recalls that thread, please chime on in!

·
Registered
89 Posts
found it!

Ok, so i found the thread, i'm guessing you already know about Id Man!! You've already tried the Airplane mode trick and it didn't do diddly for ya. I'll go back to my perusing! Good luck finding the cause & keep us posted.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, well that didn't happen - cripes there's hardly anything in Laconia except clothing, accessories, trinkets, food and beer. I did not see one vendor with anything audio related, and nothing specifically Victory related. There were 500 Harleys to every other type of bike, which I found strange but oddly satisfying. Funny to catch one of them checking out my XC's ass like it's a cute chick. It's like they don't really know how to respond to the sight, and they feel somehow guilty for the lust they feel. A couple actually mustered the courage to compliment, but most were too covered it the HD hype to register any thought at all besides a vacant stare. (but I can see that lip curl as their hand instinctively moves to rub their crotches) LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
IPOD Cable issue

INMHO you already have the $100+ dollar "NTOUCH" cable on you bike somewhere. (Sorry , I have a 13 Vision and have the unfortunate luxury of have to "see" mine in my glove box for now. (I could add the $50 cable to take my ipod to my saddle bags and would be "just like you" so to speak). What peaked my interest is the "it wont' charge anymore" dilemma. (for the time being I have no ideas about the clicking). Based on my laborious research I have concluded the "NTOUCH" performs "magic"that enable the ipod to charge. (something about cross connecting pin 25 and 27 on the IPOD 30 pin connector). That being said, the cable fix you did "should take care of it "working" but my fear is you may have shorted the "NTOUCH" and smoked it. Not sure but given my research it appears to be a distinct possibility. If you want to go to a USB connection using the 7 wire (4 and 3) connectors you would need a USB "conversion" that takes the 12v output down to 5. I have pictures (coudn't post) to show the IPOD wiring for the "NTOUCH" (as best I can figure) and the 30 pin IPOD connector pinouts. My advise would be to find your "NTOUCH" cable and maybe get it tested (or just replace it). As near as I can figure there aren't any easy plug and play solutions to go to USB. The new magnum has it but it is not the same radio head unit as you (or I) have. Sadly I can't help you with a different radio head unit. Hope this helps. RB:|

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Id-man, Unfortunately it seems thats the way quite a few of the rallies have seem to went. Nothing more than one big flea market of biker gear so to speak. It use to be manufactures came out, showed their wears and sold them. now it seem miles of the same t-shirt company that packs up and moves from event to event with 4 or more tents located around. The odd patch tent and lots and lots of beer tents. If your going to be a vendor you have to have HD something or nobody will even come in and look. Even if its chinese knock off junk.

For $hits and giggles, have you went by your local boom box installers and picked their brains? I would think them guys would know about the ipod connectors and some symptoms of different things.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For $hits and giggles, have you went by your local boom box installers and picked their brains? I would think them guys would know about the ipod connectors and some symptoms of different things.
No I haven't yet but I know where one is - guess we're down to that, thanks for the tip.

INMHO you already have the $100+ dollar "NTOUCH" cable on you bike somewhere. (Sorry , I have a 13 Vision and have the unfortunate luxury of have to "see" mine in my glove box for now. (I could add the $50 cable to take my ipod to my saddle bags and would be "just like you" so to speak). What peaked my interest is the "it wont' charge anymore" dilemma. (for the time being I have no ideas about the clicking). Based on my laborious research I have concluded the "NTOUCH" performs "magic"that enable the ipod to charge. (something about cross connecting pin 25 and 27 on the IPOD 30 pin connector). That being said, the cable fix you did "should take care of it "working" but my fear is you may have shorted the "NTOUCH" and smoked it. Not sure but given my research it appears to be a distinct possibility. If you want to go to a USB connection using the 7 wire (4 and 3) connectors you would need a USB "conversion" that takes the 12v output down to 5. I have pictures (coudn't post) to show the IPOD wiring for the "NTOUCH" (as best I can figure) and the 30 pin IPOD connector pinouts. My advise would be to find your "NTOUCH" cable and maybe get it tested (or just replace it). As near as I can figure there aren't any easy plug and play solutions to go to USB. The new magnum has it but it is not the same radio head unit as you (or I) have. Sadly I can't help you with a different radio head unit. Hope this helps. RB:|
WOW, you sure know a lot more about this than I do - where'd you find all that about which pins do what? I agree there's a lot of 'magic' going on with this supposedly simple stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts