Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Vision, with the standard audio jack in the glove box. I also have an iPhone 3Gs and a 160 GB iPod Classic (l think it is the latest generation). I'm interested in buying the iPod cable to replace the audio cable. I see from the dealer's catalog that there is a different cable for the 08 than the newer models. I also understand that the iPod cable will not charge the iPod while it plays. The dealer does not have a clue as to which cable I should get, and what it's capabilities/limitations are regarding interfacing it with my iPhone/iPod. So far, I use mostly my iPhone for tunes on the bike, but I'd rather use the iPod, due to the fact it holds much more music, and is easier for me to use. From other posts, I see that it may be vunerable to vibration from the bike, but I have that problem taken care of with some creative use of soft styrofoam. Any input as to which cable I need to get is much appreciated.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
First the Ipod you have. Is it the one with a hard drive? If so do NOT use it on your bike. Victory sent out a bulletin a couple of months after the Vision release stating how the harmonics of the bike will destroy the hard drive. Since the Iphone has a flash drive it will work fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First the Ipod you have. Is it the one with a hard drive? If so do NOT use it on your bike. Victory sent out a bulletin a couple of months after the Vision release stating how the harmonics of the bike will destroy the hard drive. Since the Iphone has a flash drive it will work fine.
Thanx. I had read that any hard-drive based iPod would have problems from vibration, but I did not understand this as a harmonic problem. That could be much harder to isolate. I guess I'll use the iPhone. I just hope it does not discharge the battery on the phone too much. That brings me back to the cable issue. Any ideas which of the 2 cables will work with a 08 Vision and a iPhone 3Gs? I want to be able to select playlists/songs from the handlebar or console controls. Charging the phone and listening to tunes would be great, but I'm afraid that's too much to ask for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 Vision, with the standard audio jack in the glove box. I also have an iPhone 3Gs and a 160 GB iPod Classic (l think it is the latest generation). I'm interested in buying the iPod cable to replace the audio cable. I see from the dealer's catalog that there is a different cable for the 08 than the newer models. I also understand that the iPod cable will not charge the iPod while it plays. The dealer does not have a clue as to which cable I should get, and what it's capabilities/limitations are regarding interfacing it with my iPhone/iPod. So far, I use mostly my iPhone for tunes on the bike, but I'd rather use the iPod, due to the fact it holds much more music, and is easier for me to use. From other posts, I see that it may be vunerable to vibration from the bike, but I have that problem taken care of with some creative use of soft styrofoam. Any input as to which cable I need to get is much appreciated.
I have the $99 Ipod cable from my dealer and it will charge my Gen4 Ipod with no problem

·
Registered
34 Posts
Iphone hook up

Go to the powerlet website. I think they have what you want. It will charge the phone, and keeps the power evenly distributed so you don't get surges to your Iphone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to the powerlet website. I think they have what you want. It will charge the phone, and keeps the power evenly distributed so you don't get surges to your Iphone.
Thanks! I'll take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'll take a look.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the iPod Touch 32 GB 3rd generation. I use the Victory iPod cable ($20).
It has worked well for a few thousand miles. But, it gives a warning that charging is not supported. I have used it for a couple of days without running the battery down, though.
Now, it has a problem of just locking up. The song is displayed on my 09 Vision panel, but no sound. I have to turn off the Vision control, and then turn it on to get it going where it left off.
Is this the way the harmonic/vibration problem works?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts