Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ready up on the battery issues some people have had, and have tightened all my connections. Brand new '11 Ness XC, trickled charged the battery overnight (due to length of time on show room floor). Played my Ipod Nano (which works great btw in saddlebag) in garage while cleaning.

Question is: how long can one listen to radio/Ipod only before full battery drain (bike not running)? I did for about an hour and a half, then battery went dead...couldn't even start the bike.

Does the bike (when running) charge the battery as well so I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain when riding? I am assuming the battery is charging the Ipod nano as well if I want to leave the nano in all the time.

Sorry for all the questions, will post pics of new ride when I get a chance. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
89 Posts
This doesnt sound right to me. My ipod alone will play for about 12 hours on its own battery, so even if it were to be dead when plugged into the bike, I doubt the battery in the bike would drain even if it were left over night......sounds like the battery itself has some issues, or maybe a dead short somwhere in the wireing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The XC does charge the Ipod. In other words, if you decided to never add another song to your Ipod, you'd never need to put your hands on it again! cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have ready up on the battery issues some people have had, and have tightened all my connections. Brand new '11 Ness XC, trickled charged the battery overnight (due to length of time on show room floor). Played my Ipod Nano (which works great btw in saddlebag) in garage while cleaning.

Question is: how long can one listen to radio/Ipod only before full battery drain (bike not running)? I did for about an hour and a half, then battery went dead...couldn't even start the bike.

Does the bike (when running) charge the battery as well so I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain when riding? I am assuming the battery is charging the Ipod nano as well if I want to leave the nano in all the time.

Sorry for all the questions, will post pics of new ride when I get a chance. Any help is appreciated!
I'd be interested in good answers to these questions as well. Particularly, I wonder if the iPod hookup is delivering a charge to the device when the ignition is in the 'off' position.

IOW: If I leave the device on the bike, will it drain the battery?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an Ipod nano, and have found that if leaving it plugged in all the time is the best way. It does charge it while plugged in, but as soon as you turn the key off, it no longer charges or drains battery. This has made it a very trouble free way of rockin' down the highway!

·
Registered
520 Posts
This doesnt sound right to me. My ipod alone will play for about 12 hours on its own battery, so even if it were to be dead when plugged into the bike, I doubt the battery in the bike would drain even if it were left over night......sounds like the battery itself has some issues, or maybe a dead short somwhere in the wireing.
What you're forgetting is that he was running the radio and speakers which is a big power drain.

·
13,047 Posts
Sounds like your bike battery might not be that good.

Put a good charge in it or drive it for 25 miles and stop by a batterys plus store and ask for a load check.

Now'll you know if the battery is any good

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an Ipod nano, and have found that if leaving it plugged in all the time is the best way. It does charge it while plugged in, but as soon as you turn the key off, it no longer charges or drains battery. This has made it a very trouble free way of rockin' down the highway!
Thanks Ace - that's just what I was looking for. Now if I could just find a way to automatically turn off the ipod when it's not recieving a charge... or to turn off if idle for x hours... Then I wouldn't have to touch it at all! thumb up

I agree, the op's battery shouldn't run down that quick...though running the tunes with the bike off probably isn't the best idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts