Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested, a buddy and I are doing our second Iron Butt on June 9th. We are leaving form the Clear Spring, MD McDonalds
(there's only 1) at 3 am. Planning on riding to Lexington, KY, heading south to Knoxville, TN.....maybe lunch in the Smokees, and back via I-81 north through Virginia. Should be just under 1100 miles. Should be back by 10 pm. It's an open invitation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If anyone is interested, a buddy and I are doing our second Iron Butt on June 9th. We are leaving form the Clear Spring, MD McDonalds
(there's only 1) at 3 am. Planning on riding to Lexington, KY, heading south to Knoxville, TN.....maybe lunch in the Smokees, and back via I-81 north through Virginia. Should be just under 1100 miles. Should be back by 10 pm. It's an open invitation.
Have fun!! I will be heading from Myrtle Beach to NYC that day!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Ride safe. BTW, I-95 is not one of my favorite roads.. Lots of very aggressive cagers in a big hurry.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm leaving for my Iron Butt at 0300 on the 7th. Should be blowing by your neck of the woods at about 0600, but I'll be...alone! :(

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your route? I think it would be harder to do alone. Last Iron Butt ride took us north to Syracuse NY, up to Niagra Falls then down to Erie and around PA. If you are reasonably close, maybe we can meet and conquer one sometime in the future. That was my first, and It wasn't as though as I thought it would be. Ride safe, stay alert!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
What is your route? I think it would be harder to do alone. Last Iron Butt ride took us north to Syracuse NY, up to Niagra Falls then down to Erie and around PA. If you are reasonably close, maybe we can meet and conquer one sometime in the future. That was my first, and It wasn't as though as I thought it would be. Ride safe, stay alert!
Leaving Southern Maryland, heading north to catch I-70 across to Dayton. At Dayton I'll swing a bit south and hit some of the nicer roads for the return. I have it done on Google Maps, but am having trouble getting that data to my phone for navigation. I'll figure it out though.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Monday at 5 GF and I will be doing a BB1500 from NW GA, Knoxville, Hickory NC, Akron OH, Bufallo Ny to Boston. Yee Haacheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have done IBA rides solo and with groups. I think solo is a lot easier.
Group rides can be fun but it can add to the challenge.

Good luck and have fun on your ride. cheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leaving Southern Maryland, heading north to catch I-70 across to Dayton. At Dayton I'll swing a bit south and hit some of the nicer roads for the return. I have it done on Google Maps, but am having trouble getting that data to my phone for navigation. I'll figure it out though.
Craig, do you live near Patuxant NAS? I went to college at St. Mary's many moons ago. Loved that area. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done IBA rides solo and with groups. I think solo is a lot easier.
Group rides can be fun but it can add to the challenge.

Good luck and have fun on your ride. cheers
I know what you are saying, but I tend to get sleepy on long trips after many hours in the saddle when riding solo (even when stopping regularly to run around a bit). I am planning on riding solo from Maryland to Bioca Raton, FL this summer. For those who can't keep up....well, we'll give em beer money and see them back home! cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Love to go but my June got Nackered this year.

I am planning a BBQ run to Aurthur Bryants in Kansas City in September to coinside with a 3 day weekend day out two back. Small group at this time. Open invite to both of you.

Criag, Ride safe man that is a long run to do alone. Hard candy and jerky...

Good Luck sir.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cross Country...8,000 miles (give or take 1,000)

Got my 2013 CCT on order (selling my 2004 Kingpin) and doing a cross-country trip (northern route out, southern route back) from Rockville, Maryland in September...so I'm saving my Iron Butt for this ride so I can cross it off my bucket list!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Craig, do you live near Patuxant NAS? I went to college at St. Mary's many moons ago. Loved that area. Have fun!
Yep. I work at NAS PAX and often ride down by St. Mary's College. Do a search in the Baltimore Sun newspaper...there was an interesting story on them and their educational system.

I am planning a BBQ run to Aurthur Bryants in Kansas City in September to coinside with a 3 day weekend day out two back. Small group at this time. Open invite to both of you.

Good Luck sir.

Cheers
Rob,
I really do wish I could join you in K.C. so we could have my brother buy us lunch, but alas, I'll be elk hunting in New Mexico. :)

I'll have to buy more hard candy...as I just opened the bag I bought for the trip. :rolleyes: Have plenty of deer jerky ready to go. I'm stoked.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good Luck sir.

Cheers
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm back to teaching in Sept., but I'll give you a shout in August to check on details. Like my kids used to say when they were little....... Maybe...
Thanks for the invite.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, chalk up another IB! 1121 miles through beautiful country. Went through western MD, WV,VA and NC. Perfect riding conditions....light traffic (except for NC), beautiful scenery and perfect weather.

Would love to try to start something here annually. This is my second. I would liken it to something like completing a marathon. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for those that try it......it is a very rewarding experience. You meet lots of nice folks, build your riding confidence,and learn lots about long distance riding and yourself at the same time.

For anyone interested....I'll post an open invitation again next year. We try to do it around this time of year because you have more daylight..so less night time riding. I'm not fond of 4 legged friends and chunks of blown tires on the roadway!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Iron Butt

I'm assuming that those 1121 miles was done in 2 days, not 1!!! That's still a lot of riding, 500 + miles a day. How did your 2013 CCT stock seat do...was your butt still pretty comfortable. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will be taking an 8,000 mile cross country tour on my new 2013 CCT and the only thing that has me a little concerned is the stock seat. I had a 2004 Kingpin and eventually had to get a Mustang seat (which was the best seat I ever had) because even short trips caused a painful butt. I understand that the stock seat on the 2013 CCT is made by Mustang, so I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well, chalk up another IB! 1121 miles through beautiful country. Went through western MD, WV,VA and NC. Perfect riding conditions....light traffic (except for NC), beautiful scenery and perfect weather.

Would love to try to start something here annually. This is my second. I would liken it to something like completing a marathon. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for those that try it......it is a very rewarding experience. You meet lots of nice folks, build your riding confidence,and learn lots about long distance riding and yourself at the same time.

For anyone interested....I'll post an open invitation again next year. We try to do it around this time of year because you have more daylight..so less night time riding. I'm not fond of 4 legged friends and chunks of blown tires on the roadway!
Would like to see something like that. Would not mind the ride up to kick off with you and/or the group next year. Will be looking for it!

Safe ridin
Tim

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Good luck to all of you.
Are you taking I-40 out of TN into NC?
We just came back from visiting our niece(in the cage).
I-40 out of TN was the most fun i have ever had in a street car.
All I could think of was,"Oh what I would give to be on the bike"

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Good luck to all of you.
Are you taking I-40 out of TN into NC?
We just came back from visiting our niece(in the cage).
I-40 out of TN was the most fun i have ever had in a street car.
All I could think of was,"Oh what I would give to be on the bike"
Great stretch of road there!!!!! We did a SS1K last year coming down through there, perfect temps, no traffic and a picture perfect blue sky with some white cumbulis clouds rolling through... I would ride it again in a heart beat for that scenery!!!!thumb up

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm assuming that those 1121 miles was done in 2 days, not 1!!! That's still a lot of riding, 500 + miles a day. How did your 2013 CCT stock seat do...was your butt still pretty comfortable. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will be taking an 8,000 mile cross country tour on my new 2013 CCT and the only thing that has me a little concerned is the stock seat. I had a 2004 Kingpin and eventually had to get a Mustang seat (which was the best seat I ever had) because even short trips caused a painful butt. I understand that the stock seat on the 2013 CCT is made by Mustang, so I'm hoping for the best.
Roy,

Not trying to answer for the OP, but I'll give you this about my IB/SS over the weekend.
I have an Ultimate seat on my bike and still experience a sore tail bone after a couple of hours in the saddle. Just before my IB/SS I purchased an AirHawk R for the saddle and found that it helped, a lot. The trick is to find the right amount of air so that it's not too hard and sitting you too high up. I'm not going to say that my ass did not get sore because it did, the the PAIN in my tail bone was not an issue. Standing up during stops and lights or whenever you can get your weight off the saddle is a big plus...even if for only a few seconds to allow for blood flow. Also, I took a Motrin before leaving home and one every 8 hours into the ride so that probably helped as well.

Craig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts