Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any in so cal? I want to get into this, would like to have company if possible...

anyone? anyone?

·
13,231 Posts
Have you looked on the net for there site and see if they list regions

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked on the net for there site and see if they list regions
yeah I have, I just remembered seeing Iron butt on some peeps avatars, was hoping to meet with someone from this forum. It aint no thang really...I can do it alone... I'm a big boy now, I can sit at the bar all by myself...cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did an Iron Butt several years ago on my Harley, but it was from the East Coast to the Midwest. Other than riding to the West Coast, if I can help in any way, just let me know.
Mike

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did an Iron Butt several years ago on my Harley, but it was from the East Coast to the Midwest. Other than riding to the West Coast, if I can help in any way, just let me know.
Mike
Thanks Mike, was just looking for a riding buddy. Looks like I found one, check out the "hot chicks with bikes" thread, post 156...thumb up

·
Registered
566 Posts
The missus and I have a ride planned although we don't have the date yet. San Jose to Vega$ (baby!) and back. We've had a few long trips including San Jose to Phoenix and back (not in 24 hrs.). Other than a really windy stretch on highway 10 and heavy fog on 5, we had zero problems, including morning temps in the 30s. The XCT is the perfect Iron Butt bike. 1000 miles in 24 hrs. on the XCT? It almost seems like cheating.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Fishslapr,
Based on your self description in your Demo Truck thread you are a very lucky man to have found the hardbody in Post 156! She would make a good riding buddy/backrest/navigator for your Iron Butt ride mostly because it looks like she's already an iron butt!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fishslapr,
Based on your self description in your Demo Truck thread you are a very lucky man to have found the hardbody in Post 156! She would make a good riding buddy/backrest/navigator for your Iron Butt ride mostly because it looks like she's already an iron butt!
yeah, well it prolly helped that I met her 15 yrs ago when I wasn't quite as wide as I am now... was still this bald tho :ltr:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The XCT is the perfect Iron Butt bike. 1000 miles in 24 hrs. on the XCT? It almost seems like cheating.
I feel the same way about my XR- I've had a few 8 hr stretches in the saddle, was ready for more!
thumb up

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Either way you done good!

So far I've had few 600 mile days and could do more if I was riding in a state that had some kind of growth to block the winds. I don't get buffeting often but the cross winds wear me out. Constant battles with 30-40 mph wind can give anyone a workout! This spring and summer should be a little different as I'm going up into the panhandle in Idaho and not going to do as many rides through the desert.

I probably won't do any 4 digit rides until after I get my back fixed so for now I'm no Iron Butt but I am way past bar hopper.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either way you done good!

So far I've had few 600 mile days and could do more if I was riding in a state that had some kind of growth to block the winds. I don't get buffeting often but the cross winds wear me out. Constant battles with 30-40 mph wind can give anyone a workout! This spring and summer should be a little different as I'm going up into the panhandle in Idaho and not going to do as many rides through the desert.

I probably won't do any 4 digit rides until after I get my back fixed so for now I'm no Iron Butt but I am way past bar hopper.
Me & the girl in the pic are talkin about doin some long rides-she lives in Phoenix, I'm in LA. so thinkin of doing a 1000 mile "saddlesore" in 24 hrs & a 1500 mile "Bunburner" in 36 hrs together- Me doing the 1500 in 36 hrs, & her and I doing the 1000 in 24. We shall see if she is all talk or not...cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
any in so cal? I want to get into this, would like to have company if possible...

anyone? anyone?
Hey fishslaper,if you meet me in Jacksonville Fl. on or about June

3rd I'm planning on riding to San Diego. (2,000 + mi. in <48 hrs).

You can pick up your Saddle Sore 1000/Bun Burner 1500.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey fishslaper,if you meet me in Jacksonville Fl. on or about June

3rd I'm planning on riding to San Diego. (2,000 + mi. in <48 hrs).

You can pick up your Saddle Sore 1000/Bun Burner 1500.
that won't fly this year... maybe next- I plan on doing the east coast next summer
thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I feel the same way about my XR- I've had a few 8 hr stretches in the saddle, was ready for more!
thumb up
8 hours x 60 mph (avg) = 480 miles (and that's haulin butt and stopping infrequently)

IOW, you'll need to be ready for a lot more. In addition, you'll be needing to perform it on boring superslab stretches in order to keep you avg speed up.

Personally, I'd rather play in the mountains for 8-10 hours and not worry about how far I rode, but to each their own.

·
Registered
130 Posts
8 hours x 60 mph (avg) = 480 miles (and that's haulin butt and stopping infrequently)

IOW, you'll need to be ready for a lot more. In addition, you'll be needing to perform it on boring superslab stretches in order to keep you avg speed up.

Personally, I'd rather play in the mountains for 8-10 hours and not worry about how far I rode, but to each their own.
I'll get plenty of riding in the mts.Cody Wy.-Red Lodge Mt. July 20 -July 22,So.Utah-Million Dollar Highway-Rocky Mt. Natl. Park July 28-Aug 6.Sometimes you have to get on a super slab to get from pt.A to pt.B. I 10 doesn't look like a boring ride to me especially since I've never been on it between Jacksonville and Tucson.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I know, I know, one of my riding buddies feels the same way. I'll be the first to admit it's an ego thing, having the ability to say "I did it".

Kinda like peeps that climb mountains maybe, but not to that extreme obviously.

My longest one day so far was 720 miles, but that was with a lot of kicking back time. From L.A. to Phoenix then all over Phoenix.

But I do agree, a trek thru the twisties is much more fun than a straight run on the freeway... but then again, a run on the slab gives you time to look at the scenery, where a trek thru the twisties you aint lookin round much.

Take a ride thru the desert at sunrise (or sunset, as in the pic)- I'm not much of a godly kinda guy, but that is as close to seeing the hand of God as I think you can get.

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hey Fishslapr,
here is a link to the IBA official witnesses page and this may get you in contact with some riders in your area. A group of us just finished our first SS1000 and what a blast! The TC handled itself well with the 3 Goldwings I rode with getting about 37mpg and rode AWSOME! Very proud of my machine!

We are setting up for a bunburner1500 later in the summer, a charity SS1000, and thinking VERY seriously about hitting a 50cc from here on the Atlantic side to CA late spring next year. Were gonna do a couple more exytreme I think to build into it but 3 of us deffinately have the bug! Would like to hear more IBA stories from VIC riders for sure! Can't wait to get back out on one... Good luck and safe riding!

http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for posting this Tim! I'm still prepping myself for this- a couple weeks ago I did a lot of riding- was spread out over 6 days, & had one work day, one rest day, 2 concerts, all in the midst of just under 2500 miles.

One day (mostly thru the twistys north of San Fran) was 15 1/2 hrs- minus 2 food breaks, a few gas stops, & a few sightseeing stops... from 7 am til 10:30 pm. That was a long day.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Last April I went from NW GA to cape Cod, 1150 miles. I put about 800 more on it in 7 days and rode back with gf who flew up. Total was over 3,000 miles. On the ride back we were in the rain for several hours and snow for 3 hours. The snow was not sticking. It was 37 degrees.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts