Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After postponing for a day due to the tropical storm on the East Coast, I started my ride at 0300 Saturday morning and rode a total of 1,079 miles in 21.5 hours.
After starting out in Southern Maryland, I took the beltway up around D.C. and then 270, through the Cumberland area, up to 70 and across to *almost* Dayton OH before heading south to pick up 35 to 50 for a great twisty ride through OH, WV, VA and MD before catching the beltway again and heading back home.
Weather, for the most part was great riding weather. I hit a heavy bank of fog in the Cumberland area and a few very small patches of rain about 1.5 hours from home. Other than that, mix of sun and clouds which made it easy to stay comfortable.
What I learned:
- My bike is awesome and she never missed a beat.
- Cruise control is a fantastic feature.
- 1079 miles is a long way and they call it saddle sore for a reason.
- If you do this, find someone to go with you. I was alone.
- GPS, while not necessary, is a very useful tool
- Fully charged, my Sena Bluetooth will last 15 hours. Music is a good thing.
Led Zeppelin, Hootie and the Blowfish, Queen, Rod Stewart, Steve Miller, Marvin Gaye, Gordon Lightfoot and others make good riding companions.
- There's more, but I'm tired so I'm going to take my dog for a walk and eat some ice cream.
And for all you OCD'ers out there, yes, the bike has been washed and waxed.

P.S. There are no more bugs in MD, VA, WV or OH. They were all on my windshield. I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a tip about soaking a towel and putting it on your shield for a couple of hours to loosen up the bugs. Damn fine tip.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
+1 thumb up

Get some much deserved rest.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My butt's sore just from reading that.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
After postponing for a day due to the tropical storm on the East Coast, I started my ride at 0300 Saturday morning and rode a total of 1,079 miles in 21.5 hours.
After starting out in Southern Maryland, I took the beltway up around D.C. and then 270, through the Cumberland area, up to 70 and across to *almost* Dayton OH before heading south to pick up 35 to 50 for a great twisty ride through OH, WV, VA and MD before catching the beltway again and heading back home.
Weather, for the most part was great riding weather. I hit a heavy bank of fog in the Cumberland area and a few very small patches of rain about 1.5 hours from home. Other than that, mix of sun and clouds which made it easy to stay comfortable.
What I learned:
- My bike is awesome and she never missed a beat.
- Cruise control is a fantastic feature.
- 1079 miles is a long way and they call it saddle sore for a reason.
- If you do this, find someone to go with you. I was alone.
- GPS, while not necessary, is a very useful tool
- Fully charged, my Sena Bluetooth will last 15 hours. Music is a good thing.
Led Zeppelin, Hootie and the Blowfish, Queen, Rod Stewart, Steve Miller, Marvin Gaye, Gordon Lightfoot and others make good riding companions.
- There's more, but I'm tired so I'm going to take my dog for a walk and eat some ice cream.
And for all you OCD'ers out there, yes, the bike has been washed and waxed.

P.S. There are no more bugs in MD, VA, WV or OH. They were all on my windshield. I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a tip about soaking a towel and putting it on your shield for a couple of hours to loosen up the bugs. Damn fine tip.
You brought along the Gordon Lightfoot just to keep you awake eh, it's hard to fall asleep while grimacing and gritting your teeth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
May I ask what was the rush? Seems like a long way to not "smell the roses".

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The rush was that this trip had to be completed within 24 hours to qualify for the Ironbutt.
You're right, not a lot of time and the only sitting I did was in the saddle. My "roses" were the twisties that I got to experience while riding US-50 through WV and MD. Fun stuff.
Oh, and one elderly lady coming up to me at a gas stop and saying "that sure is a pretty motorcycle". Sorta made my day.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You brought along the Gordon Lightfoot just to keep you awake eh, it's hard to fall asleep while grimacing and gritting your teeth.
Hey, The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" is a Sailor's song. Provokes a lot of thought to stimulate the mind of this retired Sailor. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Why buy race replicas to pop wheelies, bar hop, build butt jewelry, maintain vintage bikes of little power and terrible MTBFs?

While I also prefer riding for enjoyment and don't find much of that plowing down interstates, it's just another avenue for highly motivated types to enjoy our pastime. To each their own. Anyway, it's good to see another Vic added to the ranks of the rump self-immolators! More of this and people on other models may take notice at just how capable our bikes are. cheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hey brother.....maybe we can try this together another time.

My friend Joey & I finished ours yesterday. Left at 3 am Sunday morning, got back at 10:30 pm. Total distance 1121 miles. Yesterday was a perfect day to ride! Lots of bikes out. Headed west from Hagerstown, MD. We had a blast. He rides a Street Glide. What was nice was that we traded bikes on some of the legs. Got a good feel for comparing both, and changed up seat pressure on the butt.

We headed west through WV, then ended up cutting down through VA and part way across NC to the Durham area. Traffic got bad, so we turned around, came back up I77 (very nice riding through the mountains) to 79 to 68 and then back home. Did a couple little back road loops in there, too. Met some nice folks along the way. Anytime you stop for gas with your bike, there's always a conversation. I didn't realize how tired I was until I got home and took a shower.

Glad you had a nice experience and a safe ride.

BTW.....here is my comparison between my Cross Country and the Street Glide

1. Ride quality......definitely the CC....not even close
2. Roominess.......ditto, much more comfortable
3. Handling.....again....definitely the CC. Much,much better in the corners, much more predictable......and no wobble (like the SG had)
4. Cruise control....definitely goes to the Harley....much smoother and much easier to use. Victory should take a lesson here.
5. Tranny.....again...definitely goes to the Harley.....especially at very slow sped
6. Engine, both ran well, but based on reliability....well....we all know that story

My CCT ran perfectly all day.....and that old saying.....ride it like you stole it.....well we were running out of time and the last 300 miles were...shall we say....a real adventure. Beautiful roads, light traffic, NO speed enforcement friends, and perfect weather. Doesn't get any better than that.

And today...I'm with you Craig.....MY ACHING BUTT. Welcome home!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why buy race replicas to pop wheelies, bar hop, build butt jewelry, maintain vintage bikes of little power and terrible MTBFs?

While I also prefer riding for enjoyment and don't find much of that plowing down interstates, it's just another avenue for highly motivated types to enjoy our pastime. To each their own. Anyway, it's good to see another Vic added to the ranks of the rump self-immolators! More of this and people on other models may take notice at just how capable our bikes are. cheers
Very good point.cheers

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey brother.....maybe we can try this together another time.

My friend Joey & I finished ours yesterday. Left at 3 am Sunday morning, got back at 10:30 pm. Total distance 1121 miles. Yesterday was a perfect day to ride! Lots of bikes out. Headed west from Hagerstown, MD. We had a blast. He rides a Street Glide. What was nice was that we traded bikes on some of the legs. Got a good feel for comparing both, and changed up seat pressure on the butt.

We headed west through WV, then ended up cutting down through VA and part way across NC to the Durham area. Traffic got bad, so we turned around, came back up I77 (very nice riding through the mountains) to 79 to 68 and then back home. Did a couple little back road loops in there, too. Met some nice folks along the way. Anytime you stop for gas with your bike, there's always a conversation. I didn't realize how tired I was until I got home and took a shower.

Glad you had a nice experience and a safe ride.

BTW.....here is my comparison between my Cross Country and the Street Glide

1. Ride quality......definitely the CC....not even close
2. Roominess.......ditto, much more comfortable
3. Handling.....again....definitely the CC. Much,much better in the corners, much more predictable......and no wobble (like the SG had)
4. Cruise control....definitely goes to the Harley....much smoother and much easier to use. Victory should take a lesson here.
5. Tranny.....again...definitely goes to the Harley.....especially at very slow sped
6. Engine, both ran well, but based on reliability....well....we all know that story

My CCT ran perfectly all day.....and that old saying.....ride it like you stole it.....well we were running out of time and the last 300 miles were...shall we say....a real adventure. Beautiful roads, light traffic, NO speed enforcement friends, and perfect weather. Doesn't get any better than that.

And today...I'm with you Craig.....MY ACHING BUTT. Welcome home!
Welcome Home! Glad you made it safely, too. I thought about you guys while I was riding alone. Alone is lonely.

You did more miles in less time than I did and you say you were running out of time? Hmmm, seems like an excuse to roll on the throttle. thumb up

We'll figure out a ride to do together.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Glad to see more IBA post's popping up. Welcome to the group and I think everyone that rides IBA's has their own reason with almost everyone I have spoken with evaluating safety as part of the execution of the ride. Congrats all of ya!

Navycraig, I think I am going to be working up in Pax around Mid July if your going to be around. Would be great to hook up and see some more of those MD backroads... Will make a post in the regional forum in a couple weeks when Im for sure (this time) that Im being sent up there.

Safe ridin all!
Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
The rush was that this trip had to be completed within 24 hours to qualify for the Ironbutt.
You're right, not a lot of time and the only sitting I did was in the saddle. My "roses" were the twisties that I got to experience while riding US-50 through WV and MD. Fun stuff.
Oh, and one elderly lady coming up to me at a gas stop and saying "that sure is a pretty motorcycle". Sorta made my day.
I hear you. I going to venture out this weekend on the judge for the longest ride yet.....2 hours. I do not think this thing is built for iron butt stuff or maybe I just have a wimpy ass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" is a Sailor's song. Provokes a lot of thought to stimulate the mind of this retired Sailor. cheers
When the waves turn the minutes to hours....

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to see more IBA post's popping up. Welcome to the group and I think everyone that rides IBA's has their own reason with almost everyone I have spoken with evaluating safety as part of the execution of the ride. Congrats all of ya!

Navycraig, I think I am going to be working up in Pax around Mid July if your going to be around. Would be great to hook up and see some more of those MD backroads... Will make a post in the regional forum in a couple weeks when Im for sure (this time) that Im being sent up there.

Safe ridin all!
Tim
Tim-
We'll be glad to have you and can easily host you for some SOMD back country riding. Local riding buddy Half_Crazy knows them better than I do so hopefully he'll be able to join us. If not, we'll make due.

·
Registered
848 Posts
NC
Good to hear the ride went well. Congrats!

Hey Include me in on your local runs.. Have a great place for lunch/dinner just over the bridge.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Tim-
We'll be glad to have you and can easily host you for some SOMD back country riding. Local riding buddy Half_Crazy knows them better than I do so hopefully he'll be able to join us. If not, we'll make due.
As it stands now Craig, will be arriving July 14th and leaving the morning of the 15th. Attending a systems development conf at NAS Pax that week but I doubt they will go far past mid afternoon. Will see. When I was up there last year (Feb) got to knock out a good set of miles on some of the lower back roads SW towards 301 on the TC, this year will see how the VV does. Squatch, last time someone said a great place for lunch/dinner over the bridge I spent over 70.00 plus tip... :ltr: but I will take you up on it for sure while up that way as long as a ride is included.. .hehe. Will be cool to finally meet half_crazy and see the wild ass machine he rides!

Hopefully, see you all next month! Safe ridin, Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts