Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gents.

I have a hardball with 12 miles on the clock and I noticed that after a long ride I hear a wearing noise coming from the front wheel.
I can also feel it in the bars as well. However it's not constant only on a specific spot on rotation. With out a lift or jack I can't raise the front end up to see if I have play in the wheel. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't know about bearings, but could it be the brake pads that are either worn or sticking? You should be able to visually inspect that pretty easily.

Just a thought. I'm sure others will have some ideas too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
I would lean more toward a warped brake rotor going by the description. One way to get an idea is to gently apply the brakes on the front only and see if you feel it pulsate.

One other thing comes to mind is the brake piston is not returning like it should which can cause a brake rotor to warp. Sometimes some brake dust crud build up. It's easy enough to check and clean by removing the pads (and maybe the calipers) and carefully applying so pressure to the front brake to make the piston come out just a little bit then use some brake cleaner and something like a toothbrush to clean around the pistons. You will need to use a screwdriver or something to push the piston back in so the pads can fit again. Obviously that is a good time to check out the pads really well.

It can be really difficult to see any warpage on a rotor.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
By the way; you can get the front end up in the air by using 2x4's. Maybe 6" or so pieces. Put the bike in gear then stack as many 2x4's as you can under the bike toward the front. Lean the bike over onto the wood then do the same thing on the other side. You may need to lean it over one more time to fit another board under there. It helps to have a second person slip the wood in. (Hmmm... that just didn't sound right at all) :D

This works for the back end too. Dayum. Did it again! :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tears of laughter running down this old fart's face right now BBob!

Yeah - I remember wood!!!

·
13,003 Posts
By the way; you can get the front end up in the air by using 2x4's. Maybe 6" or so pieces. Put the bike in gear then stack as many 2x4's as you can under the bike toward the front. Lean the bike over onto the wood then do the same thing on the other side. You may need to lean it over one more time to fit another board under there. It helps to have a second person slip the wood in. (Hmmm... that just didn't sound right at all) :D

This works for the back end too. Dayum. Did it again! :D
to bad there is not a video of using the 2x4's. We did that for years before jacks came out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would have to say "no way in hell" is it a wheel bearing , something else is more likely the problem . Without hands on it though , who can really be sure .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but when my belt was too tight, it made a hek of a vibration noise that I would swear was coming from the front brakes.
Good point , same here . The whole bike can vibrate and such , causing all kinds of resonance too .....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know this is a little off subject but, how do you tell if the belt is not the right tension with out the correct tension meter?

I don't really want to spend the time and money for something I'm going to use possibly every other year?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I know this is a little off subject but, how do you tell if the belt is not the right tension with out the correct tension meter?

I don't really want to spend the time and money for something I'm going to use possibly every other year?

Thanks!
It needs 1.25' of play with 10lb pressure at the middle. It isn't hard to guestimate the 10lb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the comments.
The rotor isn't warped as there is zero pulsing or vibrations in the lever.

I will take a look when I return and give the calipers a good cleaning and inspection.

Well said BBOb well said!!!

I will update when I return back out west.

·
13,003 Posts
so you're going on a trip with potential problem that could cause brake failure or a crash.

Have a good trip

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Spray a liberal amount of brake cleaner on a cloth and clean the rotors really well. Go over them with some very fine sandpaper. Pull the pads and make certain they are not glazed. If they are (or even if they aren't) lay sandpaper on a flat surface and give 'em a few strokes. If you want better stopping power, install a set of EBC-HH pads in the front.
BTW, you have an excellent seat customizer not far from you. Don at Mr. Eds Moto in Albany is a stand up guy who does an great job of tailoring your saddle to fit your butt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts