Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out breaking in my new Highball and have put about 300 miles on it. During the break in I've done a few panic stops, and the rear has locked up. So is it me doing something wrong, or just because of break in, or just a quirk of the Highball that I need to get used to, or something else?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I've done the same thing on my highball twice in 4 years of ownership. I would assume the lack of ABS and lesser weight over the wheel would cause a skid in a panic situation. I wouldn't let it bother you my good man

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Youve hit the rear a bit töo hard I think.
Are you using your front brake as well?

·
12,970 Posts
bikes stop by using front brake. when you apply it the front end goes down and forces the tire to bit the pavement.

Rear break locks up wheel and you go into skid cause there is nothing forcing the wheel ti bit into pavement.

Learn to only use rear brake to slow down.

We have car mentality so when it comes to panic stops or stopping we use our foot.

Teach yourself front brake first

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
If you are doing panic stops... often... that means things are coming as a surprise to you. Do you know why? You are not looking and planning far enough ahead. Don't ride in a box... Look up. plan WAY ahead.

Lean to apply the brakes without locking them. Practice short stops using both brakes. In a 'panic stop' the front brake is the important one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have been clearer these were practice panic stops. Just getting used to the bike which is very different from my other bike a Triumph Scrambler. I'll just have to do a little more practice and get used to the difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its happens once in awhile no big deal. Also do you notice your bike likes to pull to the right. Mine did tell I put a header on. Only thing I could figure was the right was off balance from the stock pipes. If I took hsnds off the bars she went right weird. tracks straight as an arrow now.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Its happens once in awhile no big deal. Also do you notice your bike likes to pull to the right. Mine did tell I put a header on. Only thing I could figure was the right was off balance from the stock pipes. If I took hsnds off the bars she went right weird. tracks straight as an arrow now.

It's the stock cannons... Those things weigh like 50lbs.

·
12,970 Posts
Bartcanoe

not try to offend you. Sign up now for a riders course. You'll learn about street riding. Tell your insurance company you tuck the coarse and you'll get a discount on your insurance

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Bartcance,

Frontbreak = 70%
Rearbreak = 30%

Do this every day all day for the rest of your life, and locking up your rear is in the past for you and if it happens it will not be scary anymore coz you already applied 70% to the front, remember ??

On my JP the rear does not "lock-up" but sometimes the rear "slides" just a little bit, enough to know where the "edge" of ability of these bikes are ...

Please do not use your rear brake to stop the bike ... 70 / 30

Advanced course is a GOOD idea ... Driving in snow too .....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
typical

nothing can be worse than my Hammer with its looks only oversized rear tyre. check out sportbikes, superb front dual discs + a tiny rear single setup!!! even cars are front biased due weight transfer. thats why i added a front disc to my 13 hammer + use organic rear pads, still the oversized tyre makes things worse

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. I've taken the course, and have thousands of miles on other motorcycles with no issues (not an expert though by any means).

I just think this one is a little different, and I'll get used to it. Nothing scary, there wasn't a close call, I maintained control each time it just seemed a little more likely than other bikes I have ridden.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Not every sports bike has a narrow rear ... Diavel 240 mm sure plenty more ? How about superbikes GP

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
nothing can be worse than my Hammer with its looks only oversized rear tyre. check out sportbikes, superb front dual discs + a tiny rear single setup!!! even cars are front biased due weight transfer. thats why i added a front disc to my 13 hammer + use organic rear pads, still the oversized tyre makes things worse
Look at a sportbike... Short wheelbase, steep rake, light weight... the rear brake is tiny because the rear brake is rendered ineffective since slowing quickly unloads the rear of the bike and all a bigger rear brake will do is drag the rear tire behind you.

On a cruiser... the bike is longer, lower, raked out... the rear brake is a whole lot more effective simply because of the geometry of the machine.

Dual disc vs single... Front brake stopping power is limited by the traction available at the front tire. If your front brake will lock the front wheel at speed you have all the braking power you can possibly use. The advantage to double disc brakes is resistance to heat fade. 2 discs take twice as long to heat fade after repeated stops from high speed. If you are not heat fading your brakes, having 2 discs really doesn't do much for ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rear brakes should have just enough power to stop you from rolling backwards on a hill. That's it!! Locking a rear whell at speed is deadly. Can't imagine how many riders we've lost due to loss of control from improper use of the rear brake. I've almost been in that category myself. It's just so natural to use your foot to stop after all the years of driving an automobile......

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
It's just so natural to use your foot to stop after all the years of driving an automobile......
Didn't you guys learn breaking a motorcycle on driving school ?? Who would ever break a motorcycle with his foot coz your used to it from a car ?? I just don't get this .... I can just imagine a 747 pilot stomping his foot on the floor looking for the brake, coz he used to be a busdriver ....
Seriously I'm not getting it .... Coz of this forum I've been watching 20 orher motorcycle riders and nobody that I've seen stops the bike with the rear ..... Must be something special at your side of the pond ?

Be safe and be smart, good luck .... Hope someone will take a "advanced" course after reading these " rear brake threads " poping up in the last few months

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Didn't you guys learn breaking a motorcycle on driving school ?? Who would ever break a motorcycle with his foot coz your used to it from a car ?? I just don't get this .... I can just imagine a 747 pilot stomping his foot on the floor looking for the brake, coz he used to be a busdriver ....
Seriously I'm not getting it .... Coz of this forum I've been watching 20 orher motorcycle riders and nobody that I've seen stops the bike with the rear ..... Must be something special at your side of the pond ?

Be safe and be smart, good luck .... Hope someone will take a "advanced" course after reading these " rear brake threads " poping up in the last few months

Well said. I don't understand the rear brake thing.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Well said. I don't understand the rear brake thing.

I really dont think its got much to do with learned behavior from car driving at all.
It could possibly come from a childhood fear of the front brake on a bicycle and being launched over the bars from said bicycle.
Motorcycle is a different kettle of fish to a bicycle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts